• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Got me thinking - V groove related

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
So it's 2010 that the USGA is making the pros switch to V groove clubs right? Kinda curious to see what's going to happen with the balls. Will they start making some old school balata-style balls to get spin? If that happens will we start seeing those 6 and 7 degree drivers to try and keep the spin down on tee shots because of the new, softer balls? The ball flight, especially on driver tee shots, has changed so much over the last 10 years. I remember seeing the old low bullets that seemed to stay low forever, then at the end of the ball flight they would shoot up into the air.

I'm also kind of thinking that the USGA might be evil.. EVIL little turds and make the pros really pay at the 2010 US Open! Just make Pebble almost unplayable from the rough lol.

floggerrushmd

Supporting Member
Jul 11, 2008
It is funny that you made this post I was thinking back to the change in the "ideal" golf shot from the early 90s through to today. I miss the ole low bullet that suddenly shoots into the air and then drops like a rock. It will be interesting to see how the players adapt. One thing is for sure I think you are going to see a major switch to players hitting fairways and greens to win a tourney. Talk about boring. hehee.

bryguy

May 15, 2008
I thought they could still play those grooves, just that they could not be manufactured any more after the date. Am I wrong?

bryguy

May 15, 2008
Found it:
The USGA proposes that these new groove rules become effective for all new clubs covered by this rule change that are manufactured after Jan. 1, 2010. A related Condition of Competition would be added to the USGA Rules of Golf to become effective Jan. 1, 2009. This Condition would allow a Committee to require the use of clubs that conform to the new groove rules for competitive events conducted after Jan. 1, 2009. Similar to other equipment-related Conditions of Competition, the USGA would recommend that the Condition apply only to competitions involving highly skilled players.
So, are the pros using the new groove regs this year or not? Would be interesting to find out.

Augster

Rules Nerd
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2005
For the pros, if Wishon is right, it won't make any difference at all.

The main proponent of spin is clubhead speed and loft.

The pros aren't going to all of a sudden be hitting wedges SLOWER. Bomb and gouge is still going to be the norm.

US Open setups force you to hit fairways with TODAY'S technology. A punch out with U-grooves or V-grooves is still a punch out.

Here is a quote you will never hear, because Johnny Miller is never wrong.

2010, Tiger has just flushed a V-groove 7-iron from 170 yards in deep rough, spun and stopped to about 4 feet. Johnny then says, "Wow, I guess those U-grooves I was bitching about for 15 years really don't matter all that much for today's breed of player that are stronger and just have higher clubhead speeds with all clubs than the players from yesteryear."

You will NEVER hear that from Johnny.

But I GUARANTEE the first, and EVERY time a guy hits a flyer out of the rough, Johnny will be saying how great going back to V-grooves are. Like nobody has ever hit a flyer with U-grooves.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
I've got an old set of Hogan Director blades that I play every so often. These things are tiny and no doubt have the old V grooves. I swear I can't tell any difference in the back-spin I can put on the ball with them and my Srixon i506's which I'm sure have the U grooves. So I really don't see the groove change make that much of a difference. Just my .02 worth.

Fourputt

Littleton, Colorado
Sep 5, 2006
So it's 2010 that the USGA is making the pros switch to V groove clubs right? Kinda curious to see what's going to happen with the balls. Will they start making some old school balata-style balls to get spin?

The only time that the new groove will make a difference is from the rough, and balata balls wouldn't make any difference there anyway. Up until the advent of square grooves there was always a premium for playing approach shots from the fairway. The game got quite boring after the pros discovered that the grooves allowed them to play the same shots from the rough as they did from the fairway, and strategy went out the window. In 2010 it might just be interesting to watch once again.

I can tell you from personal experience that the new grooves don't make any difference in shots from the fairway, because My new Titleist AP2's already conform to the 2010 specs, and I can still spin the ball just fine on full short iron shots. I haven't really had a chance to see what happens from the rough yet, because the grass hasn't begun to green up yet here in Colorado.

🔥 Latest posts