• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Got roped into a member-guest tournament

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
United States United States
This will be a first for me. It's going to cost me $450 but the member assures me it's worth it, just from the prizes alone.

For those of us that aren't members of snobby clubs and want to know what to expect, here's what the agenda is:
upload_2020-7-10_10-13-52.png

For the record, I am posting this because this is way out of my comfort zone. Wait til they get a load of the trailer park kid from Bumblfuk Arizona...

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
What kinda prizes?

I played a member guest one year, not a snobby club though. The golf was fun, we somehow got put in the lowest flight and lost something like 4 holes in 3 matches. Won a $250 pro shop credit, which as you know doesn’t always Gondar in pro shops. Bought a ping holder and sold it on Facebook for $125 cash. Lol

OP
TEA Time

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
What kinda prizes?
Other than they typical drivers/putters he claims things like full iron sets (like Titleists), vacations, shit like that. This is his first year doing it also, so he's going on what others have told him. I'm playing decent golf right now so hopefully I can win some new AP2s.

OP
TEA Time

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
Oof.

I'm a 4 and he's an 8 and they gave me 1 stroke and him 6. Neither of us broke 80, it was bad.

They had to cancel a bunch of stuff (bands, the banquet, something else) so I did get a bit of a discount... $287 instead of $450 so that was nice.

As for the prizes, he was obviously misled. I got a KP worth 25 bucks and we got a skin for 170 more. The gift baskets or whatever they're called were dumb. Our options were:
  • An Under Armour package with shoes, socks, and a dozen "Vice" golf balls (?) but since my wife works for Nike, we opted out of that one.
  • Four bottles of CBD oil/cream
  • A vibrating massage thing
  • 3 dozen Vice balls and some socks
Wives wanted the massagers (duh) so we went with those but never picked them up.

The real money is in the side bets. They even give out little betting books so you could keep track of all your bets.

Maybe in non-covid times there are better prizes and stuff? I basically paid $287 for 3 rounds, a couple of breakfast burritos, a pulled pork sandwich, and about 20 beers. So it was about a wash.

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country
Oof.

I'm a 4 and he's an 8 and they gave me 1 stroke and him 6. Neither of us broke 80, it was bad.

They had to cancel a bunch of stuff (bands, the banquet, something else) so I did get a bit of a discount... $287 instead of $450 so that was nice.

As for the prizes, he was obviously misled. I got a KP worth 25 bucks and we got a skin for 170 more. The gift baskets or whatever they're called were dumb. Our options were:
  • An Under Armour package with shoes, socks, and a dozen "Vice" golf balls (?) but since my wife works for Nike, we opted out of that one.
  • Four bottles of CBD oil/cream
  • A vibrating massage thing
  • 3 dozen Vice balls and some socks
Wives wanted the massagers (duh) so we went with those but never picked them up.

The real money is in the side bets. They even give out little betting books so you could keep track of all your bets.

Maybe in non-covid times there are better prizes and stuff? I basically paid $287 for 3 rounds, a couple of breakfast burritos, a pulled pork sandwich, and about 20 beers. So it was about a wash.

Watered down version of some better times?

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
I mean, 3 rounds of golf at a private club could have set you back more than the $287 you paid alone. At least around here it would.

Was the course nice at least?

OP
TEA Time

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
I mean, 3 rounds of golf at a private club could have set you back more than the $287 you paid alone. At least around here it would.

Was the course nice at least?
Yeah, $95/round seems reasonable. It's a decent course, albeit pretty boring. The greens undulate like mad and they stuck the pins in some questionable spots. Personally, I wouldn't join it.

🔥 Latest posts