• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Got the flu...

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Ughhhh...feel like I was run over by a bus. Good thing I got a flu shot. Normally don't but my Dr talked me into it.

On Super Bowl weekend nonetheless!

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
No flu shot for me...call me a tin-foil hat wearer, but something they whip up yearly, don't test, and don't even know if it's going to work or not isn't going in my body.

I rarely take any medications. Not even pain killers or decongestants unless I absolutely need them to get good sleep.

Seems like everyone at work is popping pills left and right for a runny nose or a slight cough...then they're swallowing sleeping pills by the hundreds because they can't sleep. Can't be good for you. They have whole conversations about which sleeping pill they're currently taking, and which one they're going to be using next week because apparently they've become resistant to the effects of the current one. Ridic.

OP
BigJim13

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
No flu shot for me...call me a tin-foil hat wearer, but something they whip up yearly, don't test, and don't even know if it's going to work or not isn't going in my body.

I rarely take any medications. Not even pain killers or decongestants unless I absolutely need them to get good sleep.

Seems like everyone at work is popping pills left and right for a runny nose or a slight cough...then they're swallowing sleeping pills by the hundreds because they can't sleep. Can't be good for you. They have whole conversations about which sleeping pill they're currently taking, and which one they're going to be using next week because apparently they've become resistant to the effects of the current one. Ridic.
I NEVER get the flu shot either. I have had it twice including this year and both times I have gotten sick as a dog.

I'm like you, I try to take as little as possible. Ibuprofen if I have a headache, acetaminophen for back. Never take a sleeping pill and stopped taking decongestants like 3 years ago.

Last year no shot, not even a sniffle. Let my Dr talk me into it this year...never again.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
We've gotten our flu shots every year for probably the past 10 or 15 years. Never had a real bad bout with the flu. This year's strain mutated significantly different than anticipated and the vaccine isn't effective against that strain. They do say that those who have been vaccinated seem to be having less serious effects of the flu that the unvaccinated.
I never take much in medication. I'm a big believer in vitamins and take a plethora of them each morning. Doc has me taking one of the small Aspirins every day. I do get the vaccinations my doc recommends. He is adamant about the flu vaccine, since those hardest hit are the babies and the aged. Supposedly, I fit in one of those categories. I've had the pneumonia vaccination, shingles shot, tetnaus boosters as they are required, etc.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
Keep an eye on it Jim. Four weeks ago I got what I thought was a case of the summer flu. Only went to the doc when the hacking cough wouldn't go away. Shoulda gone much earlier. Turns out I now have a secondary infection in my right lung. Now on strong antibiotics. Right lung feels a little bruised (congested). For something that I thought would be gone in a week, will probably end up being an eight week affair by the time I'm back 100%. I've learnt to assume nothing and see a doctor sooner rather than later.

OP
BigJim13

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Keep an eye on it Jim. Four weeks ago I got what I thought was a case of the summer flu. Only went to the doc when the hacking cough wouldn't go away. Shoulda gone much earlier. Turns out I now have a secondary infection in my right lung. Now on strong antibiotics. Right lung feels a little bruised (congested). For something that I thought would be gone in a week, will probably end up being an eight week affair by the time I'm back 100%. I've learnt to assume nothing and see a doctor sooner rather than later.
There was a time that it would take an army to drag me to the Dr. Not anymore. Today I woke up and couldn't stop shivering, knew then that a trip to the Dr was in order.

That's crazy about the infection in your lung. Are you being kept out of work? Friend of mine is going on a 4 week battle with pneumonia-also nothing to mess with.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
There was a time that it would take an army to drag me to the Dr. Not anymore. Today I woke up and couldn't stop shivering, knew then that a trip to the Dr was in order.

That's crazy about the infection in your lung. Are you being kept out of work? Friend of mine is going on a 4 week battle with pneumonia-also nothing to mess with.
Most of it happened during the xmas break. Am self employed. Off to work Monday.

🔥 Latest posts