• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

GPS choices

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
From what I've seen they use a satalite mapping system of some sort. I played a course a few weeks ago that had a par 5 mapped as a par 3. The mapper apperantly made a visual mistake and mapped the pond 205 yards away from the tee box as the green. The hole was actually 515.

OK ,lets see, 205 to the center of the green. I think I'll take the hybrid......and a penalty. :laugh:

Time to clear some of the algae out of that pond. :D

How long is it taking these days to get a course mapped?

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
PA, I'm not a computer guy, but if you could walk me through the process I'll give it a shot.
Actually having read a little more on the site, it appears the Guru is like the Skycaddie where it does not store the file on your PC. So my question may be mute.

However if it does first copy or download it onto the PC, I just wanted the last 3 letters or digits of the file. For example, Jpeg picture file is *.jpg, a word document *.doc, the iGolf file is *.glf.

From looking at the site, these would probably be located in the \Program Files\Golf Guru directory if it saves them off to the PC. Probably under the course name and the extension. I had just assumed since it allowed mapping that it saved them to the PC as well, but not sure.

EddieC

Feb 1, 2006
bout a week, less if you whine and send lots of e-mails:laugh: They are really good people to work with, one of the few places that I've dealt with recently that still has great customer service. Also, if you call, someone will answer, I think they have a company cell phone and have guys "on duty" all the time. I've called at 8 oclock (eastern) and spoke with someone. Yeah the pond was funny, I used the back of the green number as my carry distance to clear the thing.

EddieC

Feb 1, 2006
Actually having read a little more on the site, it appears the Guru is like the Skycaddie where it does not store the file on your PC. So my question may be mute.

However if it does first copy or download it onto the PC, I just wanted the last 3 letters or digits of the file. For example, Jpeg picture file is *.jpg, a word document *.doc, the iGolf file is *.glf.

From looking at the site, these would probably be located in the \Program Files\Golf Guru directory if it saves them off to the PC. Probably under the course name and the extension. I had just assumed since it allowed mapping that it saved them to the PC as well, but not sure.

Nothing gets stored on the PC except for the guru utility file. In order to add courses you go in and add them to your online profile and then check the ones you want loaded to the utility, when you go to download the courses to your guru, you connect and then it hits the server and transfers the file directly to the guru ....I think it'll hold 20, could be more though so don't quote me on that. I see your point though, like the sky caddie, if the company ever goes bust, you'll be tossing 250 bucks in the can, but I guess that's true with most of them.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
I see your point though, like the sky caddie, if the company ever goes bust, you'll be tossing 250 bucks in the can, but I guess that's true with most of them.
That was a big part of the reason I went with iGolf last year. That and the fact that if the company decides they want to start charging, charging alot more, or just pretty much tells you to live with their issues, you can pretty much tell them the same thing they told you. In iGolf's case, to kiss off after my membership ran out. I just have a problem paying that much for a device and being tied in with no control how they operate their business.

I actually think iGolf may have one of the best setups and systems going between their Batteries, local file storage, and mapping points. Unfortunately the way they operate their business side I am less than happy and have documented the issues on here in the past, I just have a hard time recommending their product. Sad part is, most of my complaints have since been fixed, probably due to multiple complaints, unfortunately they didn't make it right with the people that were effected. I imagine if I tried to contact them again, their response would be something to the regard that they would credit me back if I signed up again. Although they previously had their chance and never responded back.

While even if I need to buy another unit, it may be another iGolf just out of convenience. It is unlikely I would recommend them over other people as my top choice, and if I were starting from scratch it is unlikely they would be on my list if the others had the courses I wanted.

I guess I am just thankful that upon breaking ties with the company, I can still use the device. As mentioned before, my next one will be one that either allows me to do my own mapping through Google earth, and update on the course. Probably will only happen by hacking an existing system, as it is unlikely many companies will allow that when they can charge a membership. I figure Golf Guru is probably like iGolf, once they develop a customer base they will likely start charging.

Found ways to get the iGolf files to Google earth format, modify and send back to a GPX or Text file. Just need to find a way to convert it back to igolf, but haven't reached a point where it is worth the time yet. I figure if I wait until it is needed, maybe someone else will have done the work.

EddieC

Feb 1, 2006
Just got this from the Guru folks:

"The upload process is in preparation for the eventual sharing of user mapped courses with other Guru owners. Using the 1.5.0.6 utility will ensure that a user mapped course is uploaded in the correct file format for sharing. It will also ensure that when the capability comes online to enable downloading of user mapped courses, your file will be in a format the Guru will recognize."

Looks like the golf guru folks are setting themselves up to be the Napster of the golf course GPS world.

cabinessence

Never Say Die
Jul 28, 2005
Thanks for the replies guys.

First off, I will never own a range finder. I don't like them, I have real trouble zeroing them in, plus I am a walker and I don't need to be unzipping my bag every 3 minutes to pull out a gizmo etc. I realize they are more precise, but I would just never use it for the reasons I stated above.

As far the the GPS goes, it was a difficult choice, but what won me over was the course selection offered by Garmin Golflogix. They already have most of NS mapped, so when I go on vaca, my favorite courses there are already done. I would have liked a self editing feature, a stat tracking feature, and the intelli-green is cool, but I think in a year or 2 it will be time to upgrade and by that time I'll be ready for that device.

For now a yardage tracker is all I really need. I paid for the new version basically for the shot distance feature. I will prolly regret not being able to map my own course, but time will tell.
Any initial thoughts, VtDivot? I'm thinking of getting the Garmin 2008 machine.

OP
VtDivot

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
Any initial thoughts, VtDivot? I'm thinking of getting the Garmin 2008 machine.

I went with the Guru instead. It's being delivered today. I'll let you know more next week

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
I went with the Guru instead. It's being delivered today. I'll let you know more next week

My Guru is out for delivery today too. :D The holiday schedule may throw my UPS guy's timing off a bit, but if he has a normal load I should be seeing that puppy in about 45 mins to an hour. :D

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
My Guru is out for delivery today too. :D The holiday schedule may throw my UPS guy's timing off a bit, but if he has a normal load I should be seeing that puppy in about 45 mins to an hour. :D
Its here. UPS guy was running a few minutes early today.......

reddingsetgo

Oct 5, 2008
uber cool

I have had a upro for a few months. I can certify that it is definitely uber cool. Call me a destroyer of the game, but I have had several GPS units - the SG5, 3, and now the upro. For some reaons I can't stop.

The imagery on the upro is awesome - give more useful information faster than the SC's I have owned. But, if you are looking for "just" the hazard information and green distances etc (no imagery or flyovers), you can download as many courses as you want for free. They only charge for the "pro" stuff.

Oh yea, and it *really does look like that*

🔥 Latest posts