• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Graphite or steel shafts?

indacup

Supporting Member
Jun 1, 2007
Iowa
Lots of debate on this issue, but if you are blocking shots right I beleive this is going to be a swing flaw or a too weak of a shaft flaw. I personally do not think a shaft could be too stiff only too weak. A weak shaft could cause a block or a fade depending on your swing path and rotation. If you were on the proper swing path bringing the the club head square to impact then you should have minimal shaft deflection at impact giving you the most square position at impact. The reason why you would lose distance would be due to minimizing the whip effect the shaft has on the ball, but if a shaft is too whippy then you actually lose distance since the shaft might not reach its whip effect through the ball and just past the ball causing you the head to either block a shot, fade the shot, and or deloft the shot and forget about it if you hit it on the heel or toe.

Could be wrong, but it makes sense to me.

Dude, Don't give up your day job.:biglol:

I read all your statements and so many are so diametrically wrong on so many levels, I honestly don;t know where to begin.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Thing is - Demon has said so many RIGHT things (IMHO) that this one just baffles me.

demon

Hybrids are for girls
Oct 29, 2006
Thing is - Demon has said so many RIGHT things (IMHO) that this one just baffles me.

Well this information was explained to me by a club builder that is the cream of the crop here in the DFW area. He builds clubs for numerous tour players and stands by that the stiffer the shaft the least amount of dispersion it is going to have and a too weak of a shaft can cause blocks right and fades. This makes sence to me since the clubhead would be behind the shaft at impact and if you swing them with excessive speed then the head cannot catch up with the shaft till after the ball has jumped off the face.

Makes sense to me, and I could be wrong, and if I am then I will never see that builder again but I would like to see some verifiable information to prove it other wise.

demon

Hybrids are for girls
Oct 29, 2006
Dude, Don't give up your day job.:biglol:

I read all your statements and so many are so diametrically wrong on so many levels, I honestly don;t know where to begin.

Comments like this are what turns me away from message boards. I have helped out more people on this board with swing issues I cannot even begin to count.

Come on down to Dallas and we will play a round on me and then come on back to the board and talk your smack.

Adam Pettman

Nov 3, 2005
I have helped out more people on this board with swing issues I cannot even begin to count.
This is completly true.

Come on down to Dallas and we will play a round on me and then come on back to the board and talk your smack.
Thems is fighting words .:hunter:
Just to summarise a shaft of the wrong flex will not help shot dispersion and the best way to get the right shaft is to get fitted. We all agree on this.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Comments like this are what turns me away from message boards. I have helped out more people on this board with swing issues I cannot even begin to count.
Hang with us Demon - we're with you. You are one of the best people on this board.

You get down wit' yo' bad self...:laugh:

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Well this information was explained to me by a club builder that is the cream of the crop here in the DFW area. He builds clubs for numerous tour players and stands by that the stiffer the shaft the least amount of dispersion it is going to have and a too weak of a shaft can cause blocks right and fades. This makes sence to me since the clubhead would be behind the shaft at impact and if you swing them with excessive speed then the head cannot catch up with the shaft till after the ball has jumped off the face.

Makes sense to me, and I could be wrong, and if I am then I will never see that builder again but I would like to see some verifiable information to prove it other wise.

It certainly makes sense to me that too weak a shaft is bad. But I have to say that I cannot believe that an X-flex shaft would be right for anyone who doesn't swing a driver over 100mph, and more importantly, load the shaft hard at the top. I certainly bow to the experts - I'm just saying it doesn't make sense with my limited experience.

🔥 Latest posts