• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Graphite Shafts

GPete

Aug 10, 2009
Hi Guys,

New to the forum, basically im 32 year old and a 21 handicapper, only been playing a few months, just got some new mizuno mx 100's which im really getting on with well and can see my handicapp improving if I keep playing regularly. However, im after a 3 iron hybrid so I can get some distance when im hitting out of the rough.

My question is, all my irons are steel shafts (regular) which I was fitted for, but my fairway woods and driver are graphite (regular) which I seem to get on with ok. So, Should I go for my 3 iron hybrid in graphite or steel??? As its a longer club?

Thanks

Pete

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
United States United States
I would assume graphite. Some other guys on here could give you a better answer though, as I'm far from being an expert.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Pete,

There's no hard set rule for this. I started with graphite in my hybrids and played steel (before i pulled them out of my bag). My playing partner went the exact opposite.

For continuity and feel, I would say stick with the same shaft in your hybrid as what you play with your irons. But, you might find it heavy. Heavy promotes a slower, more consistent swing, but at a loss of distance as your clubhead speed is less. Conversely, going to graphite, you'll have that swingspeed back up in a jiffy, but you'll need to emphasize your control as the faster you swing, the harder it is to control.

If you can hit a few demo hybrids, try a couple of each and see what fits in your eye, your swing and finally your wallet.

R35

OP
G

GPete

Aug 10, 2009
Gents, many thanks for your help. I'll take your advice and go and try some out, I'd been tempted by a deal online but I suppose its not worth risking ending up with the wrong club just to save £50 or so. Thanks again. Pete

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.