• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

GREAT SUNDAY of GOLF

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
My oldest son, 27, came over this morning for a little golf. Me and him are very competitive on the golf course, lots of smack between shots. Neither of us are that great, but we are close in abilities. He usually beats me by a few strokes. Today we played on a 9 hole par 35 course. First time around I shot a 44 to his 48 and he was freaking out that the old man was ahead, :D.

Next time around I slipped up on a couple of holes and shot a 49 to his 45, rut row Raggy, we are tied at 93. This won't do at all, so around we go again. This time around I am smoking my driver, out driving him by a good 10-15 yards every hole and he is letting it affect his game, after 5 holes I'm up by 5 strokes. I'm ribbing him something terrible, hey, I seldom get a chance.:emot-ange

Number 6 hole is a 175 yard par 3 with water all down the left side. He lands on the front edge of the green with a 6 iron. I grab my 5 iron and hit a pure shot, beautiful trajectory, but I pushed it right and missed the green. Gave back a stroke when he pars the hole, and I bogey it. The green is slanted downward, designed by some sadistic ba$tard obviously, and my chip lands above the pin about 6 feet away. Down hill putt, barely tap it, perfect speed but it rolls right across the left side of the cup and 2 feet past the hole. No problem, I'm still up by 4 strokes.:thumbs up:

Number 7 hole, 376 yard par 4, woods down the right, out of bounds ditch down the left. Narrow fairway and I smoke my driver straight down the middle. He is on the side of the ditch but not out of bounds. He hits a miraculous shot from that lie and is 4 feet from the pin. My approach shot comes up just short of the green. A perfect bump and run from me and a one putt but I still give up another stroke on this hole too. Ok, I'm still up by 3 strokes, no problem right?:confused:

Number 8 is a 392 yard par 4 with water all down the left side, woods down the right. He has the tee box honours and nails one on the screws right down the middle of the fairway. I step up and smoke the HiBore XL, but wait, oh no, it's drawing right and I didn't set up for a draw. It hits the ground running, running and running, holy $hit, right into the water. Ok, drop 2, hit 3 with my trusty 5 iron from about 170 out. I hit it pretty good, but oh no, not again, it's drawing to the left again, plop, into the water right by the green. He fluffs his 2nd shot and comes up way short so it could be worse. Drop 4 hitting 5, perfect chip to within 4 feet, easy tap in for a 6 but $OB, I push it to the right and miss it, end up with a 7, he pars it. Ok, so we are even and he is really giving it to me for blowing a 5 stroke lead. :real angry:

Last hole, 372 yard par 4 with the same water hazard in play, just down the left side this time. I hit the drive of the day, I mean I crushed one right down the right side of the fairway, I'm left with a easy 56º wedge shot about 75 out. He nails his driver, but pulls it left and is in the deep rough on the left just beyond the water hazard. He hits a gorgeous 9 iron out of the rough to 4 feet from the pin. I hit a high floating SW to within 3 1/2 feet out. Ok, who can make a putt? I'm already telling him that we aren't going around again, we will just have to call it a draw. He drains his 4 footer, no problem for a birdie. I line mine up, perfectly flat, no break at all. I lag it up there, rut row Raggy, it's drifting left and perches on the left side of the hole and hangs there. I mean, if an ant had farted nearby, it would have fallen in, but no ants had gas apparently and it hung there for a par to his bird and I lost by one stroke. But we had a blast, laughing and clowning, we both had good rounds, at least for us anyway. BTW, he shot a 42 to my 43 on the last nine, 7 over for him, 8 over for me. :dead:

ers1029

Apr 1, 2008
Good story, sounds like someone bit the bullet though ;) At least you had a good time!

twelvegage

live life. love life.
Jan 18, 2008
That was a real good read Dubya, I think that's your problem in the tourneys, you're not talking enough trash! Haha, give that a shot, just really rip in to the people you're playing with. Lol, glad you had a good time on the course again.

tailStrike

May 4, 2008
Took me a while to comprehend the "rut row Raggy" thing. Scooby Doo, I guess. Good story. I'm itching to play enough as it is :).

5iron

My oldest son, 27, came over this morning for a little golf. Me and him are very competitive on the golf course, lots of smack between shots. Neither of us are that great, but we are close in abilities. He usually beats me by a few strokes. Today we played on a 9 hole par 35 course. First time around I shot a 44 to his 48 and he was freaking out that the old man was ahead, :D.

Next time around I slipped up on a couple of holes and shot a 49 to his 45, rut row Raggy, we are tied at 93. This won't do at all, so around we go again. This time around I am smoking my driver, out driving him by a good 10-15 yards every hole and he is letting it affect his game, after 5 holes I'm up by 5 strokes. I'm ribbing him something terrible, hey, I seldom get a chance.:emot-ange

Number 6 hole is a 175 yard par 3 with water all down the left side. He lands on the front edge of the green with a 6 iron. I grab my 5 iron and hit a pure shot, beautiful trajectory, but I pushed it right and missed the green. Gave back a stroke when he pars the hole, and I bogey it. The green is slanted downward, designed by some sadistic ba$tard obviously, and my chip lands above the pin about 6 feet away. Down hill putt, barely tap it, perfect speed but it rolls right across the left side of the cup and 2 feet past the hole. No problem, I'm still up by 4 strokes.:thumbs up:

Number 7 hole, 376 yard par 4, woods down the right, out of bounds ditch down the left. Narrow fairway and I smoke my driver straight down the middle. He is on the side of the ditch but not out of bounds. He hits a miraculous shot from that lie and is 4 feet from the pin. My approach shot comes up just short of the green. A perfect bump and run from me and a one putt but I still give up another stroke on this hole too. Ok, I'm still up by 3 strokes, no problem right?:confused:

Number 8 is a 392 yard par 4 with water all down the left side, woods down the right. He has the tee box honours and nails one on the screws right down the middle of the fairway. I step up and smoke the HiBore XL, but wait, oh no, it's drawing right and I didn't set up for a draw. It hits the ground running, running and running, holy $hit, right into the water. Ok, drop 2, hit 3 with my trusty 5 iron from about 170 out. I hit it pretty good, but oh no, not again, it's drawing to the left again, plop, into the water right by the green. He fluffs his 2nd shot and comes up way short so it could be worse. Drop 4 hitting 5, perfect chip to within 4 feet, easy tap in for a 6 but $OB, I push it to the right and miss it, end up with a 7, he pars it. Ok, so we are even and he is really giving it to me for blowing a 5 stroke lead. :real angry:

Last hole, 372 yard par 4 with the same water hazard in play, just down the left side this time. I hit the drive of the day, I mean I crushed one right down the right side of the fairway, I'm left with a easy 56º wedge shot about 75 out. He nails his driver, but pulls it left and is in the deep rough on the left just beyond the water hazard. He hits a gorgeous 9 iron out of the rough to 4 feet from the pin. I hit a high floating SW to within 3 1/2 feet out. Ok, who can make a putt? I'm already telling him that we aren't going around again, we will just have to call it a draw. He drains his 4 footer, no problem for a birdie. I line mine up, perfectly flat, no break at all. I lag it up there, rut row Raggy, it's drifting left and perches on the left side of the hole and hangs there. I mean, if an ant had farted nearby, it would have fallen in, but no ants had gas apparently and it hung there for a par to his bird and I lost by one stroke. But we had a blast, laughing and clowning, we both had good rounds, at least for us anyway. BTW, he shot a 42 to my 43 on the last nine, 7 over for him, 8 over for me. :dead:

Wow great story there ! Nice score on the last nine for you, but a shame about losing. Sounds like you both had a blast though!

OP
mddubya

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Took me a while to comprehend the "rut row Raggy" thing. Scooby Doo, I guess. Good story. I'm itching to play enough as it is :).

Yep, Scooby Doo, what can I say, I watched way to many cartoons as a kid.

Thanks guys, that was a great weekend. I haven't played that good since, but have been having moments of glory lately, well, other than that case of the dreaded "S" word I had that one day. Now if I can just remember how I felt that day by this weekend for my next tourny, lol. I did hit the green on the 307 yard par 4, 2nd hole at home Saturday, the pin was cut in the back of the green and my drive actually hit the front edge of the green and rolled to the back past the pin. Of course I 2 putted for a bird instead of an eagle, but hey, I hit the green. I had promised myself when I reached the green with a drive on this hole I'd start playing from the tips so we'll see how my scores here are effected now, lol.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.