• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Great weekend...

Kilted Arab

Apr 30, 2005
Didn't golf last weekend, which usually kinda ruins it: but this one was different.

Was lucky enough to be invited, by my boss, to an Eid celebration - a Muslim holiday after the end of Ramadan.

With wife and bairn in tow, we headed off to his fathers house, a 14-bedroomed semi-Palace type of place, about 100 miles from Abu Dhabi. My Danish colleague, his wife and her parents were also there. In the house, the men and women went off to different rooms for coffee and cakes and a chat. Any kids could run about wherever they wanted.

After about 1/2 hour there, we got into our 4x4s and drove into the desert. A camp had been set up - or rather, two camps. One for men, one for women. Myself, my colleague and our families were the only non-Arabs in the group. The white women wandered freely from group to group. There were ponies for the kids to play on, plus quad bikes for kids and big adult quad bikes as well. Racing about the dunes on those things was a blast!

An hour or two after we arrived, food was served. The main elements of the meal were lamb and chicken. The meat was prepared the night before, some sort of underground slow roasting method - the meat wrapped in palm leaves, I think, then buried in a pit with hot coals and left for 18 hours or so. The results were fantasic! We sat in a tent (Majlis) and the food was served on huge platters and we all sat on the ground and got stuck in. As westerners, we were offered cutlery, but we joined in the Arab way - right hand only! Was sticky and messy, but great fun. Not all the Arabs spoke English, but a few did and acted as translators.

We were made very welcome and no-one made us feel like outsiders. There were maybe 40 - 50 adult men there, sitting in the tent around the food. They were all related - brothers, cousins, etc. Even if you don't understand the language, you can tell when people are enjoying themselves - there was laughter, chatter and a general good feeling about the place and the experience further emphasised to me that, whatever your upbringing or culture, people are basically the same the world over.

After the meal, there was more quad bikes, desert driving, kids with footballs etc. The mrs came from the ladies camp and told me they'd had exactly the same experience over there.

The whole thing was an extraordinary experience, honour and privilege. I have a few photos, will post them later.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Somebody better upright that tree something quick. Roots exposed like that will lead to it drying out....

:D

R35

P_102

Jun 7, 2005
Sounds like a great time KA! It would be nice to get to know these people this way instead of the dire outlook we get from the media.

P_102

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Great story...bring on more photos - hopefully on the participants...

Now is it my understanding that in the arab world - "you wipe with your left hand?" This is why you eat with your right hand only? Do they wash hands after using the toilet?

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
Great Pics KA.

Tell us some more about life in the UAE? (I think that is where you are)

Besides the mad cash they spin out down there, what is it like for living conditions? Do you live in Abu Dhabi? Will your kids go to school there? Future plans etc.

If this topic is too personal, just say so, no hard feelings, just curious.

Silver

I don't have a handicap.
Dec 5, 2004
B, I believe that same policy applies in most of Africa, and I also believe that it's more of a tradition, at this point and in most areas, than reality. While I'm sure it's probably still the case in more remote areas...probably less of an issue in the urban centres.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.