• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Greatest Day of My Life

Scottyboy

Jun 4, 2010
NOTTTTTT.
So I've never broken 80. Came really close a couple of times but never. After a fantastic day of of golf I come strolling up on 18 all concentration. I am shooting 6 over par. Par is 70. Hole 18 is a 320 par 4. With water right and protruding to the middle and sand in front of the green and on the right side. The fairway is like a slight banana shape left. I've been hammering my drives all day. All I have to do is not screw up tremendously. I slice into the water. Drop as close to where the ball went in at. Top the ball off a root and into the water it goes. Take a 9 on the hole when said and done. So I shoot an 85. Absolute worst feeling I've ever had in my entire life. Ohhhhh and my dad(retired) shot 2 over with a birdie on 18. I almost hit him with my putter because he was laughing at me.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
Don't hit old men!! We know not to get mad... we just get even!!!

Strider

Mar 16, 2005
Is your name Ray and did you get lessons from Hank Haney? J/K

Sorry about your luck. Just keeping practicing and try not to think about it and you'll break 80.

295yards

May 5, 2009
NOTTTTTT.
So I've never broken 80. Came really close a couple of times but never. After a fantastic day of of golf I come strolling up on 18 all concentration. I am shooting 6 over par. Par is 70. Hole 18 is a 320 par 4. With water right and protruding to the middle and sand in front of the green and on the right side. The fairway is like a slight banana shape left. I've been hammering my drives all day. All I have to do is not screw up tremendously. I slice into the water. Drop as close to where the ball went in at. Top the ball off a root and into the water it goes. Take a 9 on the hole when said and done. So I shoot an 85. Absolute worst feeling I've ever had in my entire life. Ohhhhh and my dad(retired) shot 2 over with a birdie on 18. I almost hit him with my putter because he was laughing at me.

If you were 6 over going to 18 and only shoot 5 over for the last hole your total would be 11 over. Thats an 81.

Still a VERY good score consider you took a 9 on 18, but why on earth would you hit a driver on a dogleg 320 yard par 4 with trouble everywhere.

gwlee7

Ho's from Rocky Mount, NC
Supporting Member
Jun 15, 2005

Still a VERY good score consider you took a 9 on 18, but why on earth would you hit a driver on a dogleg 320 yard par 4 with trouble everywhere.

Maybe his last name is Mickelson.

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
Yeah, I rolled out a 38 Thursday on the front nine.. kept my concentration enough to drive to the 10th hole and double it. Go, par, par, birdie, par and then triple, double, bogey, double. to finish.

What the hell. 9 over on the back, and 2 on the front.. Damn game.

gwlee7

Ho's from Rocky Mount, NC
Supporting Member
Jun 15, 2005
There's nothing like finishing strong is it? Once, I was standing on 17 only one over for the round and four putted for a double and then made double on 18 to shoot 77. Normally, I am very happy with that score but I left with a very bad taste in my mouth that day.

OP
S

Scottyboy

Jun 4, 2010
If you were 6 over going to 18 and only shoot 5 over for the last hole your total would be 11 over. Thats an 81.

Sorry about my math. I just checked my score card. Oh and I can usually play a slight draw and do very well on the same hole. The sand isn't really trouble, it's usually an easy wedge to get out if you happen to get in it. Went to my course pro today and he says when I try to hit the ball a harder than normal I convert back to my all-state baseball swing and use my hands to start taking the club back. So I'm going back in the morning to play the course again. The course layout and my strengths seem to match up well so maybe this time I can get it done.

OP
S

Scottyboy

Jun 4, 2010
Yeah, I rolled out a 38 Thursday on the front nine.. kept my concentration enough to drive to the 10th hole and double it. Go, par, par, birdie, par and then triple, double, bogey, double. to finish.

What the hell. 9 over on the back, and 2 on the front.. Damn game.

I feel your pain.

Augster

Rules Nerd
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2005
No need to hit driver on that hole when trying to protect a score. You can still go 5-iron, 9-iron and make no worse than bogey almost 90% of the time I am guessing.

Atrocious mental error causing the physical errors.

Conservative strategy, cocky swing.

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
Scottyboy-

I normally don't add my score up, but I have been lately when I make the turn. I can tell when I've got a good score going, and when it's going to be just be a so-so day.

My scores have started dropping significantly in the past 2 months, and I've started getting to the point where I have to stop, and put my club back in the bag, and play it smarter. If I KNOW I'm striking the ball well with my irons, which is my strong suit, I'll go for something gutsy to see it pays off. Other times, I just admit that I'm not bomb and gouging it today, and will take it back.

My scores dropped more once I gave up trying to take my courses par 5's in 2. Of the 4, one of them is reachable in 2 "safely", in terms of missing and being able to recover for atleast a birdie/par. The rest of them are dictated by your drive and the wind conditions, and fairways speed. By going driver, 6 iron, and a half wedge of some sort, I was able to get it much closer and walk away with birdie or a tap in par at worst.

Sometimes walking away with a par, is my goal on some holes. Sometimes you have to put the big stick down, and go with an iron. My 5 iron has turned into my "driving" iron on plenty of holes that I can't justify the risk/reward of a 3 wood or driver.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.