• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Greatest Game Ever Played...

Kilted Arab

Apr 30, 2005
I think I mentioned this book on GR a long time back...but I've just read it again and it deserves another mention...

"The Greatest Game Ever Played: Vardon, Ouimet and the Birth of Modern Golf " by Mark Frost

I've copied the following review from Amazon...

"Having read widely on all aspects of golf, including classics such as A good walk spoiled, Final Rounds, Golf in the Kingdom, Four-iron in my soul, the Legend of Bagger Vance, the Miracle on the 17th Green, To the Linksland and A Duel in the Sun - to name but a few, I can declare that Mark Frost's book "The Greatest Game Ever Played: Vardon, Ouimet and the Birth of Modern Golf" is in my opinion the most informative and entertaining of all. It brings to life a vital chapter in the development of the game both in Britain and the United States. For anyone wishing to learn about how the game of golf was played in the early years this is the book for you.
Harry Vardon is one of the greatest golfers of all time but the general golfing public probably know very little about him and the difficulties he overcame.
Francis Ouimet has always been an obscure name from the past - this book will explain that his standing in world golf was no fluke result.
I thoroughly recommend this book - you will not be disappointed.
For any film makers reading this - If you roll The Natural, Tin Cup and Chariots of Fire together it will not come anywhere near the story of Ouimet versus Vardon ! "

The Times reviewer said "An extraordinary book…(with) passages that were so convincing they made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up."

My personal review is far shorter. It's a stunning read.

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Thanks for this R....

I will buy it tomorrow.

I have some awareness of Vardon and Ouimet and would love to learn more...It IS the world's greatest game. I recently read Golf in the Kingdom and loved it.
A deep bow to you.....:ukflag:

and to the Cross of St. Andrews.

Sling - we need the flags of St. Andrews, St. George and St. Patrick here....

OP
Kilted Arab

Kilted Arab

Apr 30, 2005
Bravo said:
Thanks for this R....

I will buy it tomorrow.

I have some awareness of Vardon and Ouimet and would love to learn more...It IS the world's greatest game. I recently read Golf in the Kingdom and loved it.
A deep bow to you.....:ukflag:

and to the Cross of St. Andrews.

Sling - we need the flags of St. Andrews, St. George and St. Patrick here....

Great book...you'll love it or I'll refund you the cost!

And good call on the Scottish flags - Sling, get to it!

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
You guy's are more than welcome to do the leg work on this....get them to me by this time tomorrow and I'll put them up. :p

OP
Kilted Arab

Kilted Arab

Apr 30, 2005
Slingblade61 said:
You guy's are more than welcome to do the leg work on this....get them to me by this time tomorrow and I'll put them up. :p

Here you go!
scottish standard.jpg
st andrews cross.jpg

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Kilted Arab said:
Here you go!

OK - education please.

I am familiar with the cross on the right.

Tell me about the one on the left.

Bravo sitting in class...

OP
Kilted Arab

Kilted Arab

Apr 30, 2005
Bravo said:
OK - education please.

I am familiar with the cross on the right.

Tell me about the one on the left.

Bravo sitting in class...

The Lion Ramant is the flag of the King's of Scotland, a Royal Banner, if you like. I believe it predates the Saltire (St Andrew's Cross).

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Kilted Arab said:
The Lion Ramant is the flag of the King's of Scotland, a Royal Banner, if you like. I believe it predates the Saltire (St Andrew's Cross).

OK - in which situations and locations are the two flags displayed?

OP
Kilted Arab

Kilted Arab

Apr 30, 2005
Bravo said:
OK - in which situations and locations are the two flags displayed?

The difference probably means less now than historically.

Historically the Lion Rampant would be the flag of the Kings of Scotland and as such would fly at Royal residences, castles etc. Now that we are the "United Kingdom" and Scotland does not have Her own Royalty, the flag will be used on the Queens residences - but they also fly the Saltire.

There is no legal restriction on the use of the Lion Rampant - my inlaws fly one when we return for a visit...! The Saltire is more common, though.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
This is sorta off topic, but the talk of flags reminded me of it.

There is a large portion of land on the outskirts of the downtown core here that was recently purchased by some American developers to create a large seniors complex on the grounds. There was some heated discussion about the land, as it houses many older buildings that at one time were owned by the Crown. The buildings were to be completed and form a Union Jack when seen from the air. There are a series of large buildings that form the thicker lines and some smaller ones, a few of which have been reduced to rubble, to form the thinner lines of the flag.

I just found it interesting that even that long ago, people had a sense to create that third dimension that you wouldn't think they would have. I mean, there would have been no tall building at that time, and virtually no way of seeing them from the air unless you happened to be taken up in a tornado.

Sorry to get off topic, just an interesting tidbit I thought i'd share. :ukflag:

R35

OP
Kilted Arab

Kilted Arab

Apr 30, 2005
Rockford35 said:
This is sorta off topic, but the talk of flags reminded me of it.

There is a large portion of land on the outskirts of the downtown core here that was recently purchased by some American developers to create a large seniors complex on the grounds. There was some heated discussion about the land, as it houses many older buildings that at one time were owned by the Crown. The buildings were to be completed and form a Union Jack when seen from the air. There are a series of large buildings that form the thicker lines and some smaller ones, a few of which have been reduced to rubble, to form the thinner lines of the flag.

I just found it interesting that even that long ago, people had a sense to create that third dimension that you wouldn't think they would have. I mean, there would have been no tall building at that time, and virtually no way of seeing them from the air unless you happened to be taken up in a tornado.

Sorry to get off topic, just an interesting tidbit I thought i'd share. :ukflag:

R35

Way even longer ago...the Nazca lines in Peru...geometric shapes that only really make sense from the air.. http://www.crystalinks.com/nazca.html

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
JUst finished this book...

It took me a while to get and then read this book, but all I can say is that it is by far the best golf book I have ever read.

I was aware of Francis Ouimet winning the 1913 US Open (everyone has seen that picture, right?) but it meant a little more to me as I was once lucky enough to play The Country Club in 1990!! Wish I'd remembered a few more of the holes at the time.

Anyway, this book is a MUST for anyone who wants to know more about the histroy of golf, the amateur v. pro status, how the game developed, both in the US and Europe. It is also a good insight into social Boston around the turn of the Century.

Add in some incredible dramatic scenes of the actual golf played, and characters involved (Harry Vardon, Ted Ray, Gene Sarazen etc.) and you won't be able to put this down. Ouimet's back nine in the last round makes the hairs on your neck stand up. I couldn't put the book down.

The guy that wrote this book, Mark Frost did a superb job.

GO AND BUY IT!!

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.