• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Greetings from China

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
So I'm in a golf shop in Suzhou haggling with a guy about the price of a Superquad, thinking to myself what a strange world it is.

Been an amazing and very busy experience. It's like the "Wild West going through the Industrial Revolution" here.

Oh, I didn't buy the SQ. It was from what I could tell an almost perfect copy. It even had a serial number. Actually it might even have been real. He wanted £50 / $100 and I just couldn't be bothered.

some of the other stuff was laughable. I checked out some ProV1s that were almost yellow and so plastic. I checked out the shoes, all different sizes etc.

Only thing (apart from gifts) bought was a fake TAG watch. Just bought it for the sport of haggling. The guy said it was a "good copy", even made from real stainless steel. Priceless!!

Anyway, heading back West tomorrow after a night out in Shanghai. Who knows I might buy some equipment yet.

Later dudes.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Cool IG! Thanks for the travelogue. I've heard that people are basically pretty friendly in China. Did you find that to be the case? Did you see any evidence of the big buildup for the Olympics? Did you play any golf?

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Some guys at work just came back from 16 days in China. They said the food was good (unique!). Snakes, turtles and other weird stuff. :)

mont86

Supporting Member
Nov 5, 2005
See if there is any stuff from the US there that is forged.:D

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
Cool IG! Thanks for the travelogue. I've heard that people are basically pretty friendly in China. Did you find that to be the case? Did you see any evidence of the big buildup for the Olympics? Did you play any golf?

My daughter was in Beijing for about 6 months and said the people were friendly but the customs and food can be different. For one thing, everybody spits, all the time. She thought it was because the air is so dirty but it grossed her out just the same.

And what we think of as Chinese food isn't even close. She said it was still good though and once she met a few locals she really liked some of the street food.

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
Do you think IG's post was editted by the government? :prop:

R35

Funny you mention that. My daughter's friend is an aspiring journalist and they were roommates there. I only mention the journalist thing because she can be very opinionated. She sent a couple of negative emails to her mom and the next day the internet service was down and it took them a week to get it back on. No one else in their building lost service. Nobody came to get her or anything but the timing was weird.

Something else interesting about China. It doesn't matter how cold it is, the govt. tells you what day you can turn the heat on. They were wrapped in blankets and huddled around a space heater for about three weeks waiting for heat last fall.

Overall it was a positive experience but she is very appreciative to be home.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Hmmm....I've been losing my connection to the internet a lot lately. Mostly when I send a response to one of Dave's posts.

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
Hmmm....I've been losing my connection to the internet a lot lately. Mostly when I send a response to one of Dave's posts.

You need to remember to put on the foil hat anytime you respond to my posts. ;)

Members online