• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Grip Change

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Anyone switch from an interlocking to a Vardon? I've been taking some practice swings with my wedge indoors as well as going through the bottom 1/3 of the swing with the driver. The Vardon seems to just naturally square the face and I have nearly a perfect grip with it. Problem is it would take a long time to get used to. I suppose trying it out for a few range swings wouldn't hurt... much.

demon

Hybrids are for girls
Oct 29, 2006
Anyone switch from an interlocking to a Vardon? I've been taking some practice swings with my wedge indoors as well as going through the bottom 1/3 of the swing with the driver. The Vardon seems to just naturally square the face and I have nearly a perfect grip with it. Problem is it would take a long time to get used to. I suppose trying it out for a few range swings wouldn't hurt... much.

I played with the interlocking grip for 20 years and then one day decided to switch to the vardon grip and have used it ever since (about 10 years). I cant say that it helped any since I was going through major swing overhauls at the time but it was probably a factor for me going from a single digit to a + handicap.

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Thanks for the response. Basically wondering what results anyone saw from the change, mainly consistancy and ballflight wise. I just happedned to try it and comfortably put my hands on the grip. To my surprise it was like picture perfect. Worth a shot I suppose... If it doesn't work... buy another driver. :)

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
I used the interlocking for 10 years when starting out and switched to the Vardon for the last 20+. It just feels more comfortable to me and also "feels" like I release better although I've never seen much difference in the results. Once you use the Vardon you'll stay with it.

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
What exactly is the Vardon grip? Ive used an interlocking grip ever since i started taking the game seriously.

Demon- This grip change helped you go from single to +???? This is exactly where i am right now and working my way (hopefully) down to + heading into college.

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Just another name for the overlap. Good as you are playing not sure I'd want to change. One of my motivating factors is I have a broken navicular bone in my right wrist. It limits my range of motion and hurts sometimes. Now that I've started weakening my grip towards an "ideal" one I'm having a lot of trouble squaring the face properly. Seems easier with the overlap grip, my right is more on top of my left, working as one. We'll see, maybe I'll try to switch.

Fastback

Nov 13, 2006
i used the interlocking when i started, but got a blister on my right ring finger from the glove i was wearing. As i wanted to keep on practicing, i switched to the Vardon as the blister was too tender

It took a bit to get used to, but feels as though theres less tension in my hands with the vardon.. i wasnt hitting the ball particularly well to begin with, but in my last practice session, i found i was hitting more square then usual, and more consistently (about 15 balls before a mishit, which is really good for me).. i dont know whether the grip had much to do with it though

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Add a new putting grip, reverse overlap. Just watched Faxon on GC and he says 90% of pros use it. Definitely going to try this one, puts a lot more fingertip feel on the stroke. Considering he holds the record for most holes without a 3putt, he must know a thing or two.

Fastback

Nov 13, 2006
Add a new putting grip, reverse overlap. Just watched Faxon on GC and he says 90% of pros use it. Definitely going to try this one, puts a lot more fingertip feel on the stroke. Considering he holds the record for most holes without a 3putt, he must know a thing or two.

What does that grip look like? reverse overlap?

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
What does that grip look like? reverse overlap?

Take the left index finger and put it down the outside, on top of the knuckles of the right hand. I just tried it for a few strokes and it feels pretty good. I'm a fairly decent putter (avg. just over 30ppr) but not as good as Faxon.
icon10.gif
I'll see if I can find a picture of it online somewhere.

Here you go http://www.easy2.com/tutorials/glf0111/index.asp

demon

Hybrids are for girls
Oct 29, 2006
What exactly is the Vardon grip? Ive used an interlocking grip ever since i started taking the game seriously.

Demon- This grip change helped you go from single to +???? This is exactly where i am right now and working my way (hopefully) down to + heading into college.

I wasnt the sole reason, but it was a contributing factor since I revamped everything. I always felt that I gripped the club a little too tightly with the interlocking and now with the vardon my grip is just enough grip pressure for me to manuver the club through the full swing (less fingers on the club).

The vardon grip is where your (if you are right handed) pinky finger on your right hand goes over your left index finger (mine actually goes in between my middle and index fingers). It is more of an overlapping grip.

bames

Purchased a better game
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2006
Utah
Country
United States United States

I made the change to this this summer and I don't know how much this one thing "fixed" my putting but it was enough of a change to make me believe I was a better putter and rarely three-jack now. I just like how it seems to firm my wrists and I use more of a shoulder turn than slap at it with my hands like I used to before I changed.

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
I switched to the the overlap grip about 3 years ago. Helped me square the clubface and hold on longer thru impact (or so it seems)

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I switched to the the overlap grip about 3 years ago. Helped me square the clubface and hold on longer thru impact (or so it seems)

How difficult of a change was it for you?

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.