• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Grip Change

Adam Pettman

Nov 3, 2005
I changed from interlocking to vardon no bother, in two days I don't know why but I find swing changes really easy, its just maintaining that swing thats impossible.

winders

Sep 23, 2006
I played a little bit of golf here and there when I was younger and had a semester course in high school. I was taught the interlock grip and did not know about the Vardon grip, or the ten finger grip, until just recently.

I started playing golf seriously about 3 months ago. and I have been taking lessons too. One of the things I have been having problems with is getting a good release with my hands. My pro has been working with me on this and I have been getting better.

Anyway, I tried the Vardon grip and was able to release a lot better and was able to purposely put draw on shots that I was unable to draw before the grip change.

I may still use the interlock grip on shots that I don't want my hands to release.

Scott

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
I agree FK,and I wasn't critizing Ezra,I was making a general point.And it seems we are talking about the same thing,imho,it doesn't matter what grip most pros use,not one jot,and it makes no sense just using a grip on that basis,as an example.What matters,and only matters,is the putter feels right in your hands,thats it,nothing else matters.When the putter feels like its part of your arm,and you get excited when you pick it up,when it feels so right th hairs stand up on your neck and you get a warm feeling inside,and you just can't wait to hit the putt,you feel invincible,you have a mental image of greatness,and more,thats when the grip is right.Messing with that sense of invincibiltiy is insanity,find it,stick with it and don't listen to anyone who tells you your grip needs work.
You're correct. I would most certainly agree. Very nice visual by the way, not sure I could've said it better. Met a few people in my days that want to give me advice because I am slightly unorthdoxed. I usually just say nothing and it stops after one or two holes.

I am funny that way, and usually stubborn, with reading greens as well in some cases. I have never really cared to run the ball to far past the hole but maybe a couple inches, but it is consistent a couple inches past. Not what most recommend on the 17", but I just putt better with that speed. In doing so it actually gives me an entirely different read of the green in most cases involving break, usually reading more break. People don't always think of this, so we we play in tournaments or scrambles, and partners ask me what I am reading I tell them, and then usually have to ignore what comes back. Again, after a couple holes this stops. In the same sense I try to limit telling specific amounts of break when if they ask advice because if I say a foot they will likely be a 1 1/2 feet long and likely a couple inches outside. Where I will use the same line and make the putt. There are even instances where I aim on the opposite side of the hole, as they may run their putt through a first break with speed. Just another sense of knowing what works and not messing with it, and understanding the difference because of different technique. Really can frustrate partners at times when they see me make it on my line and the hit the same spot and are a foot off, or the other side of the hole.

edit - 1 also makes for fun against the competition when I am outside and tell them they will get a line off me, really frustrates them when they see the line and miss outside. :)

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Billy Mayfair is a great example of that.He has always ahd an unortodox style,hooks his putts and has been very successful,but his coach tried to change it,and he went to pieces.Rotella just told him to do what he is comfortable with and commit to every putt.His touch came back almost immediately:)

Members online