• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Grip: Interlocking or Overlap?

Which grip? Interlocking or Overlap?

• Interlocking

Votes: 29 55.8%
  • Overlapping

Votes: 23 44.2%

• Total voters

loafer4life

Oct 24, 2007
Which grip do you use and why? I've been using an overlapping grip for the past couple of years out of habit but my hands haven't felt comfortable lately. I was playing around in the back yard tonight and decided to take a couple swings with an interlocking grip, just to see if it felt any better. Oh my god! The club felt completely different in my hands, much more stable. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Interlock. How my pops taught me...and its worked well enough thus far.

Dusty90

Another Canuck
May 6, 2007
I was taught to use an interlocking grip when I started, and therefore it feels natural to me. On the occasional times that I have tried the overlapping grip, I just havent felt that I have had enough control of the club. It almost felt like it was going to come out of my hands.

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
seems like most guys I play with interlock... I'm an overlapper though.

BStone

PGA Class A Professional
Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2006
Country
United States United States
Interlock for me, smaller hands makes it more comfortable. That and it works for Jack and Tiger.

WelshGolfer

aka Grand-Master-Duff
Jun 7, 2005
I use the good ol' fashioned baseball grip.
Used to use overlap but injuries to my right pinkie and left thumb mean I HAVE to use the baseball grip for full shots. I went back to overlap for most shots around the green (less wristy and more feel).
Guess that makes me a Hybrid-Gripper.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I get "hooky" when I try interlock. Which of course means I get "slicy" when I get tired using overlap.

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
I used the baseball grip when I first took up the game. I was familiar with the grip as I had been playing baseball my entire life (took up golf in my mid 20s).

When I returned the game after a several year hiatus I started using an interlock. I'm not sure where/why I got the idea but I'm glad I did. Initially there were some growing pains with my pinky but those eventually went away.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I've used interlocking since day 1. I've experimented a little with the overlap but not for me. I've got a hard time keeping the right hand on the club when my wrist cocks, have a broken bone in my right wrist that restricts movement. The interlock seems to let the left help keep the the right on the club.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
When I first started playing as a kid, I played a baseball grip. Once I became a bit more serious about the game I developed the interlocking grip and have not looked back. I have tried the overlapping grip, but it does not give me the secure one piece feeling that the interlock provides. With the interlocking grip, I feel as though my hands are acting as a single entity rather than two seperate hands.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Interlocking here, that's the way I was taught. I've tried overlapping and the baseball grip but they just didn't feel right.

twofast2s

Dec 30, 2006
i started playing overlap taught by my coach. one day i had a bad blister on one of my finger due to gripping it too tightly/incorrectly, so i went to interlock. since then, my right arm gets too active and hooks or push the ball too much. i also have harder time releasing through the ball w/ this grip. i'm back to overlap for about a year now. just feel more comfortable.

King Par

Supporting Member
Apr 15, 2007
Interlocking. It feels more solid for me on iron shots.

But I use the baseball grip when I'm having driving problem, it straightens everything out for me but feels super uncomfortable.

OP
loafer4life

loafer4life

Oct 24, 2007
I may have to go to the range this week and play around with my grip for a while. The club felt more comfortable in my hands but I haven't had a chance to see how it will affect my ball flight. I've had a hard time getting a full release lately and I'm hoping moving to an interlocking grip will help.

Members online

No members online now.