• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Grip: Interlocking or Overlap?

Which grip? Interlocking or Overlap?

• Interlocking

Votes: 29 55.8%
  • Overlapping

Votes: 23 44.2%

• Total voters

Johnny Par

Supporting Member
Sep 5, 2006
When I first started playing, about a year and a half ago, I used the interlocking grip for about a month. Took a lesson and switched to the overlap grip.

Just feels more comfortable. However, ever since I changed to a one plane swing (about 2 weeks now), my right pinky separates a little from my left index finger at the top of my backswing, wrists cocked. Feels very uncomfortable for me.

May have to give the interlock a try.

Here is an article from Golf.com. They seem to think the interlock grip will be the wave of the future.

Peter Kostis details Tiger Woods golf swing changes, and how golfers can improve. | Instruction | Golf.com

irishtiger

Jun 16, 2008
Interlocking, that's the way I was taught and changing grip or swing is not something that comes easy to me.
Sometimes I revert to the hurling grip but it never works
(hurling is an Irish field game, grip is probably like a baseball grip from North America I guess)

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
I started with Interlock, and every year I tried to switch to Overlap as it usually feels better. Although every year I usually abandoned it when I was unwilling to give up a couple weeks to get used to the feel. This year I did so in the beginning of the season, and it finally took. Very happy I switched, and it feels better throughout the swing.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Started years ago with interlock but when I got older and the hands got bigger it felt horrible. Switched to overlap and feels better. I see no difference in the results between the two.... (bad :D )

mont86

Supporting Member
Nov 5, 2005
I've gone both ways so to speak, but overlap seems to work the best.

Rideguy

Jun 1, 2008
Taght Interlock as a kid.

Told to use over lap as an Adult for 2 seasons now.

It was a hard change from interlock to overlap..... Unlearning is hard. I've thought about going back to the interlock But.... I do not like how the knuckles align for some reason.....??

I know the interlock feels more one piece but alignment of the knuckles seems important to me. My friend used to be the course Pro and is one of the most amazing golfers I've ever seen!!! So I'll take his advice any day.

Yesterday he told me to use a Reverse putting Grip.... So now I"m trying to unlearn my Driver Grip on the putter to an inverted stand on my head kind of thing...... Funny thing is as odd as it feels the back swing is perfect and the follow through feels simultaneous..... I used to feel my right arm doing all the action putting..... and my back swing wobled..... I overlap that one as well.....

A strong or weak grip sure seems to make the ball slice or hook..... Good to play with on the range!!

Good Luck

Golfballawhackerguy

Jun 23, 2008
I grew up interlocking, but after getting more serious about the game as an adult I've switched to the overlap. Since then I've gained major confidence with my driver and have seen a marked improvement in accuracy (not to mention the absence of the between-finger chaffing).

After trying the two side-by-side, I notice that the overlap limits the movement in my wrists. Helps me release better. I guess for me the interlock just had too much play, aiding in my former late release.

It's one of those things where either works, but only one is for you.

lamebums

300 yards into the woods.
Jul 4, 2007
Interlock as a little kid...probably why I was never able to get the ball to carry in the air any reasonable amount. I'd sit on the driving range and hit dribbler after dribbler.

Then I went to a baseball grip which gave me some power, got the ball up in the air, but absolutely no consistency whatsoever.

Even with an overlapping grip now my consistency is a bit lacking :laugh: but now I hit the ball much further and it doesn't tear up my hands. If I play even nine holes without a glove on my left hand I'm out of commission for a week. And within one or two shots with an interlock grip if I tried it again.

🔥 Latest posts