• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Grip...

Shea_Butler

Aug 31, 2006
Alright ive been thinking (not usually my strong suit:)) but, i interlock on my grip, and ive seen, and heard of overlapping the bottom hand pinky over the top hand fore finger rather than interlocking them. So finally to my point, any of the more educated golfers here able to tell me the pros and cons and advantages each has over the other? Just wondering, cuz i know we have a buncha intelligent members here and i would love to hear any input you all have to offer...

tn-golfnut-from-nj

Birdie Machine.
Jul 13, 2007
Whatever you're comfortable with.
I started with the interlock thing, because thats how I was shown first, and got used to it fast.
Then I tried the overlap, and it just didnt feel right for me.

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
I think whatever your comfortable with. I switched from interlock to overlap two years ago. Really like overlap now. Most better golfers use overlap, but Tiger and Jack both were/are interlockers, so neither is right or wrong. Hogan felt that overlap made it feel like his hands were working together better.

Whoa, just noticed your cap is 4.4, mine is 6.3. Disregard any advice from the hacker!

OP
Shea_Butler

Shea_Butler

Aug 31, 2006
lol any single figure hcap is a good hcap imo, and my buddy who is a .9 interlocks and he just sayd comfort but i thought there may have been something else to it... guess not

cypressperch

Jun 24, 2006
Toledo Bend Lake, Louisiana
Country
United States United States
A ten finger, baseball grip has the

advantage of all fingers making contact with the grip, but in doing so, the hands are separated more and cannot act as a unit as easily as the interlocking grip. The interlocking grip links the two hands together, but now, two fingers are not on the grip. The Vardon grip keeps all fingers of the "lead hand" on the grip, and that pinkie does some good in linking up the two hands so they act as a unit. Some believe that the more fingers you have on the grip, the more feel you might have. Some believe the more the hands are linked up, the more the hands will act as a unit with the result being more control. So the Vardon grip, the most popular probably, is something of a compromise between two grips, one with more feel and one with more control.

Sincerely, Cypressperch

LeftyHoges

I've got the pants that'll make you dance!
Supporting Member
Jun 11, 2007
Portland, VIC, Australia
Country
Australia Australia
Just do whatever your comfortable with. I switched mid-round from baseball grip to interlock and played really well. Some people it takes a few rounds to switch successfully.

Give each grip a few rounds and see whats best. If somethings not working after 3-5 rounds then its probably not for you.

I play off 4 with an interlock grip.

My older brother plays off 2 with the baseball grip mentioned by Cypressperch.

All about your own feel.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.