• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

grips and grip sizing

PINGELI

Sep 7, 2007
This is a grips question and also relates to club making.

Can I use any standard size grip and build it uop with tape? I prefer oversize grips (+1/32")
Ping makes grips in this size but I was wondering if I could purchase any standard size grip (such as Sharpro Dual Compounds in green) and have them built up woth tape to 1/32" oversize.

Also, how much can a standard .580 grip be built up? can you put six layers, eight layers, 4 layers, etc of tape?

Finally, does anyone know a good reference for how much tape is required to build up grips (i.e.how many layers = 1/64", how many layers = 3/32, how many for 1/32" or whatever)?

Also, can putte rgrips (specifically a PING Blackout putter grip) be built up with tape? If so, how much can it be built up.

usa1950

Divots like a 72 Playboy
Jul 15, 2007
I have heard that two layers, plus the layer of double-sided tape will get a standard grip to midsize feel. I don't know if that is true when you do the math/diameter measurements, as some .580 grips have a larger or smaller diameter to begin with. i.e. winn grips having a rather large (or at least larger than standard) right hand feel even with no extra tape and the double sided tape only. What I'm getting at is one extra layer of tape on a winn xi7, for instance, might have the same diameter as three extra layers of tape on a Golf Pride Dual.

As for putter grips, I put SIX, plus the double sided tape for a total of SEVEN layers of tape under my Scotty Cameron Red Baby T grip on my new Scotty putter, and with plenty of solvent, it slid on easy as can be. I prefer midsize grips on my putters, and the only Scotty Midsize Grips come from the custom shop. They are at least $75 on ebay, which is COMPLETELY nuts. I wanted to rock a Cameron Grip, and I wanted a midsize feel, so I built up a grip similar in construction (pretty basic rubber) to your pingman with tons of tape.... you should be fine doing something similar.

A smarter mathmetician than I will come along soon to talk milimeters with you for your irons.

Members online

No members online now.