• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

groove repair tools

tedpdq

Oct 17, 2008
I'm looking to repair the grooves on my wedges. I guess I'm in the sand too much. I'd like to know which tools work best.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Golfsmith, Golfworks, all of them sell a groove sharpener for around 10 bucks. Keep in mind, however, that your grooves will probably end up being illegal after a sharpening.

Now, if that isn't a concern for you, then go to town. They work pretty well for one sharpening, but then you're pretty well done.

New wedges are relatively cheap, I would just buck up and get some new sticks. New ladies in the bag always make you smile. :D

R35

twofast2s

Dec 30, 2006
Golfsmith, Golfworks, all of them sell a groove sharpener for around 10 bucks. Keep in mind, however, that your grooves will probably end up being illegal after a sharpening.

Now, if that isn't a concern for you, then go to town. They work pretty well for one sharpening, but then you're pretty well done.

New wedges are relatively cheap, I would just buck up and get some new sticks. New ladies in the bag always make you smile. :D

R35

now i've heard people refer their cars, boats, etc "she" but never a golf club.. never thought of it that way...

and it makes sense, which goes to say that we have problems...

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
As stated they will end up too wide. But if you don't mind there are two varieties advertised on ebay on clubmaking supplies, other. I used both and both equal.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I've got a small set up files and have use one on wedge grooves. I imagine it has to widen them somewhat but can't be much. It's more like thinking of the edges as having been blunted or rounded and getting them back to flatter sides. It seemed to shred ball covers more for a few rounds but quickly went back to the way it was. That leads me to believe that only the very top edge was getting sharper but probably a very thin bit of metal that quickly blunted back again. Me, I'd get new wedges. I recently picked up some used ones with very little use. Big difference from the ones I'd been playing for well over a year.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
now i've heard people refer their cars, boats, etc "she" but never a golf club.. never thought of it that way...

and it makes sense, which goes to say that we have problems...

Don't look me dead square in the face and say that you've never hit a drive that squirrels way right and said "You B*TCH!" as it nose dives into the trap.

You lying prick. :D

R35

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
I've got a small set up files and have use one on wedge grooves. I imagine it has to widen them somewhat but can't be much. It's more like thinking of the edges as having been blunted or rounded and getting them back to flatter sides. It seemed to shred ball covers more for a few rounds but quickly went back to the way it was. That leads me to believe that only the very top edge was getting sharper but probably a very thin bit of metal that quickly blunted back again. Me, I'd get new wedges. I recently picked up some used ones with very little use. Big difference from the ones I'd been playing for well over a year.
Yeah we remember, it was called a dremel.
http://www.shottalk.com/forum/equipment-talk/5149-illegal-wedge.html

1919d1209605030t-illegal-wedge-m1.jpg

:laugh:

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006

Nice find. I still have that thing BTW. That's not the one I'm talking about though. That thing had pits in the grooves. It was one of the 1st Ebay purchases I made too. If I bought that today the guy would be giving a refund and getting a neg.

Lol. I just read through that thread, good memories. I mentioned playing with my dad and him having like 22 clubs in the bag. He did too. He had a "tee driver" and a GD "faiway driver" lol. Gotta give him a call.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
I was actually looking for the one that you did with X's across the face but found this one first. :)

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I was actually looking for the one that you did with X's across the face but found this one first. :)

That's the one. It's the only one I mutilated. I swing it out on the street about 2 dozen times then ground off the areas it was hitting 1st.

runninlope

Aug 8, 2008
Hey you missed the top three groves. Or am i the only one who hits it off there? KIDDING :) throwing in some humor for the croud

🔥 Latest posts