• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Guess who's still No. 1?

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
Tell me where I am wrong. The Chevron had 9 out of the top 12 players in the world, this years Player of the Year, Masters Champions, US Open Champions and on and and on. Every single player in the Chevron is in the top 50 in the world. This was the strongest field by far over the obscure event Westwood played.

From this month's Golf Digest. Multiple Choice.
"Lee Westwood inherited the #1 World Ranking By:
(a) still not ever winning a major.
(b) playing more events than anyone else in countries nobody's ever heard of.
(c) not being Tiger Woods.

Westwood dominates 'Africa's Major' - SouthAfrica.info

You might want to take a look at the leaderboard list at the bottom of this link. Yep! Just a bunch of hacks playing over there. Sure glad the likes of Els, Harrington, Goosen, etc. didn't dilute the field of Tiger's tourney.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
It still baffles me that folks attempt to equate the WGR with "best player in the world"... as if that means the best player at this point in time. Today... well, yesterday... the best player was McDowell. Kaymer has been stellar, over recent tourneys. Furyk can be steady and will win now and then. None of this has anything to do with the WGR and Westwood.
Official World Golf Ranking - About_Us - Introduction - 12/6/2010 8:46:16 PM
The link will allow everyone to read how the WGR is accumulated. It's math. One can dispute the specific criteria for which math is derived, but that criteria is used for ALL players. Perhaps one should come up with a different set of criteria and begin your own Big Jim Golf Rankings, that could be sold to all six World tours. A shorter time span could be considered. A different event priority point system could be established. Today... Westwood is the WGR #1 using the criteria all six tours have subscribed to. Using that criteria, he IS the #1 pro golfer in the World. Using other criteria, we could make most any of another dozen good players our own #1.

Yes, I am not a fan of Mr. Woods. Never have been. And, due to the past year's events, will root against him to ever win another tourney. That's my privilege to root for or against whomever I want to. Football... basketball... pro... college... we all have some reason for being fans of or non-fans of particular teams. Consider me a "non-fan" of Mr. Woods. Does that "cloud" my outlook on the sport and the PGA? How? If I suggest something that cannot be validated by a recognized data source, let me know. I just do not feel it correct to see those who have remained staunch Woods fans to suggest that Westwood doesn't deserve the WGR #1 ranking. Again... by what set of criteria???????

I see what you are saying but I think you are missing the point that I am trying to make.

First-I said that your feelings about Tiger cloud your posts, and they do from what I see. You mention Tiger and in the next breath make a snide comment about him liking women etc. Let me clarify that I have no issue with this but it seems to, at least to me, make your point seem less valid. For example: you say something like- Tiger is the worst driver of any #1 ranked player I have ever seen. He must be spending to much time with his ho's when he should be practicing.
By itself this comment could be funny, is funny. But when you make comments like that over and over it takes away from your actual argument. Again, I don't care that you do it, just saying what I see.

#2- About the WGR, over the summer when Tiger was still ranked #1 did anybody on this forum think he was actually the best player in golf at the time? The answer is no and anybody that says different is lying. We all knew Tiger wasn't the best but the way the rankings work, he was still #1. Go figure.

Ok Westwood is #1, but is he the best player in golf? I don't think so and I am not the only one who thinks that way judging by the some of the responses.

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
I don't think so and I am not the only one who thinks that way judging by the some of the responses.

I've heard 100s of criticisms about Westwood not being the best golfer in the world now a days.

So I wonder and make a question to everyone who doesn't think he's the best player in the world right now. All I've heard now is why Westwood isn't the best player but never have heard anybody say "I think XXXX i the best player because XXXX", but:

Who then should be considered the best player in the world? I think it would be interesting to hear everyone's opinion...

OP
TheTrueReview

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia

Ok Westwood is #1, but is he the best player in golf? ...

I actually do think he's the best Jim. He's the best player. Perhaps, not by a big margin but the best nonetheless. He has risen to every challenge over the last month & that's all that could be expected of him. What we have is some great competition, with a number of players jostling for the title - Woods, Kaymer, et al. Love it. Bring on 2011.

Augster

Rules Nerd
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2005
Kaymer is the best player in the world. Followed by Dustin Johnson, then Westwood.

Westwood is #1 on the WGR because, according to the criteria set forth, he has been the best the past two years.

But for a "who's the best player in the world right now" question, I say Kaymer.

Some folks were trying to say Tiger's back after his stellar 3 rounds. The old Tiger doesn't kick away 4 shot leads on Sunday in 17 man fields. The new Tiger does. I don't know where I'd rank Tiger right now. Somewhere in the top 10 most likely, and definitely above Phil who did nothing after winning at Augusta.

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
Zero Majors.

So Jack is the best golfer in the World until somebody overtakes him, if your going by Major's? I'll put my money on Westwood over Jack if they play a game tomorrow. In fact I'd take Westy over anybody including Gmac, Kaymer, Tiger and his bouncer, Furyk, anyone. He may not have won a Major but he's put in very good performance's in them and is consistantly at the top end of the leader board week in week out, which is why he's the #1 ranked player at this time.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
So Jack is the best golfer in the World until somebody overtakes him, if your going by Major's? I'll put my money on Westwood over Jack if they play a game tomorrow. In fact I'd take Westy over anybody including Gmac, Kaymer, Tiger and his bouncer, Furyk, anyone. He may not have won a Major but he's put in very good performance's in them and is consistantly at the top end of the leader board week in week out, which is why he's the #1 ranked player at this time.

Well, Jack is the greatest of all time until somebody passes him, I will give you that. I know everybody is high on Westwood and yes he's had a few good finishes in Majors. I just don't see it, he's good, just not #1 in the world good.

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
LOL, Nobody's heard of South Africa? Maybe a little more Geography should be studied by people who have never heard of South Africa. Player, Goosen, Els, may ring a bell for those struggling for a clue. Maybe the US based Golf writers are struggling to find something to write about. PM won the Master's and then might as well had the rest of the year off, the other Major's are all on forigen soil as well as the Ryder Cup, so shooting at Westwood is all they've got left. They must be gutted now the US Tour is loosing it's strangle hold on the World's best players. I wonder if any American Golfer's will play more on the Euro tour in the coming season or two? With the WGC's and Major's a Golfer can play all over the world and make a good living, climb the ranking's and broaden his horizen's, the Euro players are doing this now, picking and choosing the schedule which best suits them, there families and there preparation for the big events..

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
Kaymer is the best player in the world. Followed by Dustin Johnson, then Westwood.

Westwood is #1 on the WGR because, according to the criteria set forth, he has been the best the past two years.

But for a "who's the best player in the world right now" question, I say Kaymer.

Some folks were trying to say Tiger's back after his stellar 3 rounds. The old Tiger doesn't kick away 4 shot leads on Sunday in 17 man fields. The new Tiger does. I don't know where I'd rank Tiger right now. Somewhere in the top 10 most likely, and definitely above Phil who did nothing after winning at Augusta.

Dustin Johnson #2, really? Kaymer is right up there but I'd personally have Gmac above him, and Poultz if it's on current form over the past month or so. The rankings are done over a two year period to see who's the most consistant, not streaky player in the world. Westwood has a great game, is the best driver of a golf ball in the world, strikes his irons pure and is a very good putter, Short game chipping and pitching is his weakness but he has the game & results to justify his #1 ranking.

OP
TheTrueReview

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
I agree. Dustin Johnson is an incredible talent, who is capable of anything. However, to consider him number two in the world is way too early.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
LOL, Nobody's heard of South Africa? Maybe a little more Geography should be studied by people who have never heard of South Africa. ..

Who said nobody's heard of S. Africa? Did I miss something? And yes I would venture a guess that most American students need a geography lesson.

bames

Purchased a better game
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2006
Utah
Country
United States United States
Interesting thread. I'm sitting here wondering who I think the world's number one golfer is and I really can't think of anyone who I would feel comfortable putting money on over Westwood. I'm not saying I personally cheer for Westwood, or even like him. I prefer to watch Mcilroy over anyone right now, but I wouldn't bet money on him or Tiger, or Dustin (until he proves he can hold it together in the final round a few more times), or anyone right now over Westwood. So I guess by default I have to vote Westwood

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Interesting thread. I'm sitting here wondering who I think the world's number one golfer is and I really can't think of anyone who I would feel comfortable putting money on over Westwood. I'm not saying I personally cheer for Westwood, or even like him. I prefer to watch Mcilroy over anyone right now, but I wouldn't bet money on him or Tiger, or Dustin (until he proves he can hold it together in the final round a few more times), or anyone right now over Westwood. So I guess by default I have to vote Westwood

If you're not comfortable with Johnson what makes you comfortable with Westwood? He threw away a lead or 2 in majors this year, granted Johnson's were far more spectacular...

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
If you're not comfortable with Johnson what makes you comfortable with Westwood? He threw away a lead or 2 in majors this year, granted Johnson's were far more spectacular...

This time last year I had never heard of Dustin Johnson. I don't watch the US Tour week in, week out but I watch all the WGC's, Major's and quite a few of the other events. Westwood has had solid results over the past 2-3 years which add up to his #1 Ranking. If Johnson has another year or two of good results with the occasional win thrown in, who knows he may get to the #1 Rank. You don't have to win a Major to be Ranked #1 if he consistantly gets Top 10 finishes then in time that may well be enough. As for ranking him #2, Off the top of my head I'd put Gmac above him, McIllroy above him and Poltz as well for that matter. Then Casey and Donald have had solid season's as well.

On a side note I think it'd benefit the younger US players to travel a little more and play different events around the world... I think thats what has helped the younger British players, playing different style courses and experiancing different places and ways of life only help a person develop.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
This time last year I had never heard of Dustin Johnson. I don't watch the US Tour week in, week out but I watch all the WGC's, Major's and quite a few of the other events. Westwood has had solid results over the past 2-3 years which add up to his #1 Ranking. If Johnson has another year or two of good results with the occasional win thrown in, who knows he may get to the #1 Rank. You don't have to win a Major to be Ranked #1 if he consistantly gets Top 10 finishes then in time that may well be enough. As for ranking him #2, Off the top of my head I'd put Gmac above him, McIllroy above him and Poltz as well for that matter. Then Casey and Donald have had solid season's as well.

On a side note I think it'd benefit the younger US players to travel a little more and play different events around the world... I think thats what has helped the younger British players, playing different style courses and experiancing different places and ways of life only help a person develop.

I would agree with this statement although I'm sure it would drive Finchem and the PGA Tour nut to have their hot young stars playing somewhere other than a PGA Tour sanctioned event.

I guess what I keep coming back to is that Westwood doesn't feel like the No. 1 Player in the world. The last time Tiger lost the No.1 spot it took Vijay having something like 25 wins in 3 seasons to do it, including 10 or 12 the year he took it. And while I don't think winning a major is required to be no 1, performance in majors I think should be a big factor. I mean, Greg Norman was No 1 for something like 5 yrs-need we say more? :)

🔥 Latest posts