• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Guns N Roses Chinese Democracy - review

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
I am a long time GNR fans. I first bought Appetite for Destruction (record) as an import. I had never heard of GNR at the time and only heard the record at the shop as the guy working there was playing it. This was almost 6 months before the first time I heard them on the radio. Appetite and Lies are by far my 2 favorite albums, with Illusion 1 and 2 both being respectable, but seemed to drift from what I felt was the true GNR sound.

When I first heard Axl was planning on finally releasing CD, I was sceptical. I really thought it was a bad idea to use the GNR name when Slash wasnt playing lead guitar on the album. Slash's distinctive style was as much a GNR signature as Axl's one of a kind voice. So when I picked this up today I really wasnt expecting much. Much to my disappointment the album is far, far worse than I expected.

A few times as the album played I actually mumbled aloud "WTF". I was amazed at how bad some of it was. It has no resemblance at all with anything GNR has ever put out. Axl tries repeatedly to sing in different voices, and at times I couldnt help but laugh at the ridiculousness of it. At times the album sounded like a Marilyn Manson CD, at other times like a bad Rap/Metal album. All in all I found only 1 song even remotely listenable.

So to sum it up bluntly, avoid this steaming pile of shit. Unless Slash comes back there will never be a real GNR comeback. After hearing this, i wonder if even he could make a difference.

GNR is officially dead.

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
I'm with ya... I think Slash made GNR much more than Axle did. The only song I've heard off of it is the one that's in Rock Band 2. Hell I can't even remember the name of it... I just know it's crap!

riverc0il

Sep 13, 2008
You guys are right about Slash being an important component to GNR. But as far as creating new songs, Izzy created the backbone to most of their best tunes. While it is always easy to remember Slash's soaring guitar... Izzy dreamed up so much of the crunch, sound, and feel of the tunes. I won't be buying the album, that is for sure.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
A chinese gentleman called up the local radio station that had just played the intros of every song. He said they needed to rename the album to "Chinese Steaming Diarrhea."

The first song sound OK. The rest of the intros were horrifying.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I hate to say it but I am not surprised. Axl did a performance on the MTV movie awards a while back, with "GNR"-problem was he was the only remaining GNR member. Needless to say they sounded AWFUL. I to was a HUGE GNR fan, Appetite for Destruction was a GREAT album and one of the first albums I ever owned.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Wow. I actually just listened to about half the track last night, and just wow...

What a load of crap. Its almost like they just tried way too hard.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
Axl & Slash need each other. Saw AC/DC a number of years back in Milwaukee. Slash's band was the opening act, holy crap did they ever suck.

OP
LyleG

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
Axl & Slash need each other. Saw AC/DC a number of years back in Milwaukee. Slash's band was the opening act, holy crap did they ever suck.

The problem is neither one can write worth shit.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
You're talking about Velvet Revolver, with (former STP frontman) Scott Weiland?

I saw them open for Aerosmith, and they pretty much kicked ass.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
You're talking about Velvet Revolver, with (former STP frontman) Scott Weiland?

I saw them open for Aerosmith, and they pretty much kicked ass.

Nope, wasn't Velvet Revolver. I want to say the name was something like Slash's snakepit & they were awful.

riverc0il

Sep 13, 2008
Nope, wasn't Velvet Revolver. I want to say the name was something like Slash's snakepit & they were awful.
The first Snakepit album was actually very good. The second one was horrid. Slash also toured as Slash's Blues Ball or something like that too. I don't like VR at all. Saw them in concert and tried to give them an honest shake. Too much "NuRock" influence. GNR was more than the sum of its parts because a lot of different sounds came together to form something rather special. Doesn't seem like the individuals have ever been able to come close to even their individual contributions to GNR in their separeate projects.

OP
LyleG

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
Appetite imo was one of, if not the gretest rock album of all time. It came in during a time of rock stagnancy. It was all but dead really. This album almost single handedly woke rock back up. It was a brilliant no nonsense collection on biting guitar, tremendous melodies, a very unique voice, a kick ass beat, and angry in your face lyrics. They have never come close to this again, and sadly never will. Sometimes you can set the bar too high too fast. Appetite imo did that.

🔥 Latest posts