• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Had an interesting round yesterday

Lemonhead

Nov 1, 2006
Went to play The Pearl in Sunset Beach yesterday (it's about 45 minutes from the house). Never played it so I was looking forward to something new. Had a 2:50pm tee time supposedly with a twosome. Well, the twosome never showed so they sent me off as a single. I rather like playing alone since my business calls for me to be always talking with someone I like the peace and quiet. Played the East Course. Nice weather, and a really nice course.

Well, my driver was on fire: 11/14 fairways with only 2 mishits. That was the really good part. It was really nice to be able to target my driver and then hit the target. Didn't hit that many GIR but I was usually just off the green by a few yards (all to the right - I pushed several approach shots). As I've always said, the drive is important, but I think the approach shot is more important.

Putting was good, but not good enough. The local courses don't have greens with the undulations that I saw at The Pearl. It's been a long time since I lipped out of so many par putts from such short distances and balls sliding by within a 1/2 inch of th cup. Ended up with an 87.

I ran into 2 foursomes who let me play through (did I say the course was empty?). Started at 2:40 off at 4:49 for a 18-hole round of 2:09. Funny how when you are playing better from the tees and fairways, have a cart, are playing alone, and have an empty course you can play really quickly without rushing.

Oh, I also almost made my first Eagle. Short Par 4. Drive to about 75yd out. Sand wedge which landed 4 inches from the pin and bounced sideways to 3 inches from the pin. Needless to say, the fact that I did that in front of a group that was letting me play through was "priceless".

Lemonhead

SCGolfer

Jan 12, 2007
Good round....The Pearl is a pretty nice course...I have played both the east and west courses.

OP
L

Lemonhead

Nov 1, 2006
I definitely will go back. I have the Grand Strand Golf Association card and the round with cart was only $40. I heard the West is nicer than the East - is that right?

Lemonhead

SCGolfer

Jan 12, 2007
the west is longer...about 200 yards or so from the blues....and as I recall had a lot more places you did not want to be.....18 on the west course plays along the river, then you hit across the river to the green....very awesome hole.....definately recommend playing it

jason

OP
L

Lemonhead

Nov 1, 2006
My only bad screwup was on #6. I couldn't tell how far the water was so I decided to lay up close to it. When I reached my ball, I found that I could have played it 80-90 yds further and been safe. Left me a 200+ carry over the water which I spashed. Then at the drop area, I again misjudged the distance and hit too much club leaving me on the back side of the green with a looooonnng putt. 3-putted for a 7.

#6 is a tricky hole. Looks like about 200 to the water, but it's more like 250 (from the whites).

Lemonhead

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.