• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Half my bag gone!

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
Well, went to Riverside today (local golf store) and pretty much having offseason overhaul done on my bag...

Wedges regriped
Driver shortened and regriped
3W shaft spun around (dont want to look at graphics) and regrip
5i and 8i lengthend 1/4"
2i shaft replacement
Putter grip recentred

But i also finally got to put my new (thx Ez) weights into my r7, so its 10s in the front and 12s in the back, feels sweet, cant wait to get it out there.

I also found this interesting little doodad thats for putting. Its like a semi circle kinda thing that clips to your putter face and you have to hit it dead centre for your putt to go straight. Ill post some pics of it here once my mom brings the camera home tonight. I hit a few with it at the store before i handed over my SC and only like 1/3 of the putts went straight, its quite the eye opener and ill be using this religiously this winter in the house to straighten out my putting and drain some more of those birds, maybe thats why my putts are always close/around the hole but can never seem to drop!

Ive found the secret and it only costed me 8$ (the putting thing, the clubwork is guna cost around 180:()

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Sounds good man. You should have just bought a shaft puller.
icon10.gif

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Doesn't the shaft have to be put in a certain way in relation to the "spine" or something-like-that? :confused:

Depends what shaft it is. Most are randomly silk screened, so the graphics don't mean dick.

Graman lines up their graphics with the spine. An added bonus.

But most other companies pump out so many shafts, they don't have the time. Or they don't care, as spining is pretty much bunk.

R35

OP
Sandpiper3

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
Yea, its the NVS i got off you Rock. The guy who put it in for me royally screwed up... he put the graphics up, the GP logo on the grip up, AND to make it worst, HE PUT A SPINE IN THE GRIP!!!!!!! Ive brought like 15 clubs for gripping to him, EVERYSINGLE TIME NO SPINE... grr... no more for him.

I talked with the guys at the local shop, with the NVS being such a massed produced shaft they said there was no significance for the graphics, just if i want to see them or not.

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
You should have spined the Aldila as most have huge spines and play a hell of a lot better after spining.

OP
Sandpiper3

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
I would if i had $... I barely have enough to get this stuff done.

When i get my irons regripped right before tourneys (dad will pay for that, won bet last year in tourneys for the regripping for this year), and hopefully he'll spring for that also. How much does spining cost?

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
You should have spined the Aldila as most have huge spines and play a hell of a lot better after spining.

It couldn't play any worse for me. I played an X-flex in my Launcher, it felt like a senior flex to me. Garbage, as far as I'm concerned.

The NVS, however, is a superior shaft to the NV in every respect.

R35

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
I charge $5 to spine and flo a re-shaft. I do it for free on all sets and clubs I build.
Well worth it imo.

NVS has a huge spine as well.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I had the Grafalloy Blue in my GBBII spined. I didn't see any improvement. I didn't have my Graf Blue Spined in my Launcher, and felt zero difference between the two clubs in any respect.

Needless to say, I'm a bit of a skeptic. I would love to have the resources to test this out in a blind test, but I don't. A few placebos placed within the spined batch, see if it's just a mental thing that entrenches the mindset that the shaft is "set up correctly".

This has been beaten to a pulp in discussion in the past, so I won't flog the horse anymore...

R35

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
I had the Grafalloy Blue in my GBBII spined. I didn't see any improvement. I didn't have my Graf Blue Spined in my Launcher, and felt zero difference between the two clubs in any respect.

Needless to say, I'm a bit of a skeptic. I would love to have the resources to test this out in a blind test, but I don't. A few placebos placed within the spined batch, see if it's just a mental thing that entrenches the mindset that the shaft is "set up correctly".

This has been beaten to a pulp in discussion in the past, so I won't flog the horse anymore...

R35

Tim the owner of Myostritch has done such tests using 500+ golfers. According to his data, he said center face contact was better on all clubs, with all golfers with the neutral bend point facing towards target (hard spine at 12 o'clock). Tim is great guy and a golf mythbuster if there ever was one.
From my own testing I have to agree that hard spine at 12'oclock is a much more consistant club.

kiwi

Kiwi Club Ho
Aug 20, 2005
I personally haven't really noticed much but I have read Tim's test results so figure for $6 why not

🔥 Latest posts