• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Hand Pain

Coagulator

Jul 14, 2007
Ok- so if you all know the story- trying to get my swing back yada yada yada-

I am hitting the range daily. Typically 1 Medium bucket of balls, set up and rerun my alignment, aim, practice swings, etc. on every ball. Takes me approx. 1.5-2 hours to go through the bucket. When I'm done my right hand, the muscle between my thumb and index finger just aches like crazy! I never had this pain when I was young (oh so long ago!). Am I doing something wrong? I have a typical grip both "v's" point to the right shoulder- so i think my grip is ok.

I'm getting ready to do a 3 day golf school (8-9 hours per day) next month- and I'm concerned I won't be able to handle it...

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
Do you hit off mats or Grass? The impact from mats could be part if not all of the problem

OP
Coagulator

Coagulator

Jul 14, 2007
Mats (Oh how I hate them!!!) - That is an awesome response Pa Jay!
The grass driving ranges are out of the way for me- but this gives me much more hope!

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
According to Hogan the left V should point to the right eye and the right V at the chin.

I get wrist pain off the mats, not to mention it screws my swing all up. Do you take divots off grass? I do and that's where the pain comes in, my wrists, elbows and shoulders all take a beating.... and then I hit everything thin my next time out on the course.

Fastback

Nov 13, 2006
i currently have pain in my left hand.. more specifically, the upper part of my thumb.. and im certain its due to the mats.. whenever i hit a shot that would typically take a divot my hands get jarred..

I've lately been hitting a bit fat as well, and thats murder on my hands on a synthetic mat

gunning4u

Dec 31, 2006
According to Hogan the left V should point to the right eye and the right V at the chin.

According to Palmer both V’s should point to your right shoulder. Hogan fought the hooks and had a neutral grip, to each there own is guess.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
I have pain in the joints of my 3rd & 4th fingers on my right hand whenever I hit balls, off grass or mats. I may be in the market for some arthritic grips soon. The half cord Tour Wraps I use now are kind of hard.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
According to Palmer both V’s should point to your right shoulder. Hogan fought the hooks and had a neutral grip, to each there own is guess.

Is this why I keep losing the driver right? :laugh:

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Ok- so if you all know the story- trying to get my swing back yada yada yada-

Coagulator, maybe you're using the incorrect coagulant and not holding your swing together!!:laugh::laugh:

Your profile doesn't indicate how old you are. I'm old and over the hill. Began to have some pain in my hands after a round. Went to midsize grips and it has help tremendously. Just a little more cushion and a little less stress on the hands. Hope you find the answer...

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005

Hogan fought the hooks until he started using a weak/neutral grip.

Illustrations of his grip during his hook phase were very different. Hogan was known for a power-fade during his prime, not hooking. And he achieved this with a weaker than neutral/varden grip. Both Vs to the right shoulder sounds like an early turnover to me.

SandShot

Jun 6, 2008
Hello,
I hurt my shoulder a year ago and it took me quite some time for me to get my swing back. I was actually afraid to be aggressive on the drive because I didn't want to risk re-injury. After losing 4 shots on my average I decided to take action. I found that there are these new supplements made from dehydrated cow's milk. Their are called Microsamine and they help with improved flexibility and joint support. (It says it on the label so it must be true!)

But seriously I took them consistently and my shoulder became less and less of a worry. Here are some studies i dug up for you guys.

Zenk JL, Helmer TR, Kuskowski MA. (2002) The effects of milk protein concentrate on the symptoms of osteoarthritis in adults: an exploratory, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Cur Ther Res 63(7):430-442

Hope this helps

Johnny Par

Supporting Member
Sep 5, 2006
How much pressure are you exerting on your right hand? Are you possibly trying to squeeze your thumb and index finger so that they are touching each other and creating a more defined "V".

I would try relaxing the grip a bit, especially in that area.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.