• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

hand pain

niblick

Jun 13, 2007
the range closest to my office has two types of mats. one is the hard dark POS that is as much like turf as my swing is like tiger's. that is to say, not. at all. they also have a few that are a lighter color, and are softer and fluffier, and feel pretty good to hit shots from. i always use these lighter ones.

the other day it was raining, and the covered portion of the range only had the hard greens ones. lacking my rain gear, i opted to use the harder mat.

fast forward a week, now every time i go through my normal 1 hour practice session, my right hand aches like a mother bear for a few hours afterward. i know it was that one session on the hard mat that did it, and now i have to figure out how long i need to wait for whatever i did to heal.

i know mats suck. if there was a turf range near my office, i'd go there instead. anyone have a similar experience?

MGP

Clubmaking Ho
Supporting Member
Apr 21, 2007
Yeah, last year about this time I built a new set of irons. The grass range was closed so I hit the mats a couple times in about a week. My left elbow got so sore that I couldn't play decent for almost two months -- it took that long plus a lot of ibuprofen to kill the pain.

After that, no more mats. If I can't hit off grass, then I just won't hit. It's not worth going through all that again.

RustyL

Sep 20, 2007
I have that problem too. Though nothing that Aleve can't cure. I loosened up on my grip some, that seem to help also.

-IceMan-

A good walk spoiled.
Mar 12, 2008
Maybe a hand strength trainer like the finger stegtheners that guitarists use would be beneficial to prevent further injury. Also try some hand stretches to loosen up before the next session or match

What'saScore

I need an eraser
Feb 5, 2006
I had the same thing happen a couple of years ago. Went to the range at this course that prides itself on being an upscale joint. The mats felt like I was hitting off the parking lot. My right hand, wrist, and shoulder hurt for dam near a month after that.

🔥 Latest posts