• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Handling seasonal golf

MyGolfDomain.com

Apr 2, 2005
I live in Salt Lake. Every year I go through the same process of basically learning how to play golf again. My main winter activity is snowboarding. It isn't until around the beginning of summer that I start scoring fairly well.

Is this the way it is for other people here? I know many people live in places where you can play golf all year, so this wouldn't apply unless you play signficantly less certain times of the year.

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
I think it is the same for everyone unless you play in the winter time. Some of the snowbirds here have indoor facilities where they are able to stay in some form of golf shape during the winter.

Farquod has a nice indoor range in his basement in New Jersey...

I play year round and my scores do go up somewhat in the winter because of the colder air temps and dormant fairways. I play the least in July and August because it is so hot then. I never play in the afternoon in those months...

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Sir,

Living in the heart of snow country, I know all too well of this problem.

This winter, I recieved an indoor training net as a gift. What a gift! I used it more to keep my ball striking in good shape, not so much to work on my swing. It's pretty tough to analyse how you're hitting the ball in terms of push or pulls, but you can take what you're doing in the fall and put that into your practice routine over the summer.

I ended up playing some good rounds at the end of last season and that kept me going over the loooong winter. And this spring, I've come out shooting at more pins and playing alot better. My driving, for one, is outstanding already this year and the irons are coming in faster than they ever have. Even walking around the house with a putter and a few balls helps me keep that feel on the green. I do the same thing with the wegdes, just keeping that weight in my hands helps with feel come springtime.

Geeze, looking back at it, maybe I have a problem.....lol.

R35

caddyshackgolf

Be The Ball
Feb 22, 2005
MyGolfDomain.com said:
I live in Salt Lake. Every year I go through the same process of basically learning how to play golf again. My main winter activity is snowboarding. It isn't until around the beginning of summer that I start scoring fairly well.

Is this the way it is for other people here? I know many people live in places where you can play golf all year, so this wouldn't apply unless you play signficantly less certain times of the year.

I have the same problem. I take an old club outside or in the garage and swing a little bit. There is a new indoor factulay about 40 min. away that I might get to once this winter. But mostly I just snowboard and snowmobile.

What kinda board do you have. I have a Lamar.

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
i'll play year round if the course is open there's a chance i'll be out there
my low temp record is 28 degrees F my high is about 110 F i really have to work harder than ever, the college professional golf management program i am seeking requires a handicap of 8 or less and i'm hovering at about 10, time to grind it out

🔥 Latest posts