• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Hands on automotive engineering course

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
Engineering Design and Development is a class offered at my highschool, which is one of the most engineering oriented schools around. This past year, we built 2 supermilage vehicles with Briggs World Formula cart engines. As you can see from the site, our highest milage ever was 1600+ mpg. These, being 200cc, were over double our usual size and got terrible milage. However, they looked and sounded very kickass compared the rest of the vehicles at our races. I believe we set a Supermilage speed record at WIR, a 1/2 mile oval, with a lap average of more than 55 mph. My lowest milage was 42 mpg at Road America. :D

We also built 1 Electrathon vehicle and upgraded one from last year. I don't know as much about these vehicles because I worked on my supermilage vehicle all year, but one of them took 2nd place overall in endurance (total laps in 1 hour) and both took 1st overall in maneuverability at both the races we went to. Keep in mind, all our cars run DOT rubber and are right up there in endurance with the care running bicycle tires.

All our vehicles are completely student designed and built. The newest pictures aren't up yet, but years past are on the site.

http://www.preblemotorsports.com/index.html

Next year we aren't going back to the supermilage or electrathon races, we are into something totally new. These new cars will run the World Formula engines again, but they will be a whole new animal.

http://www.mysterianracing.com/

We will be working very closely with this company to make some of our own. :D We had several companies come to school for a presentation and to look at some of our vehicles, and now to cars are fully funded, and possibly a third.

I've taken every engineering and CAD class at my school, and this year I have to take this one again as a "Research and Design" student, technically a teacher's aid, which basically means I can boss around underclassmen and build a car of my very own.

OP
MIKE1218

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
YouTube - Road America Formula First Race 06/17/07

Here is a video of some of the Formula First cars in action.

I forgot to add this in the original post, but one of our sponsors asked us where we would like to test the vehicles next spring, and the general consensus was Road America, if we could get on. Cool as anything, he said, "If it comes down to it, I'll just rent the track for the day." That's $15,000 in case you were wondering. :D

🔥 Latest posts

Members online