• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Hanging Out With Jack and Tony

Dogfish Head

Staff member
TEA is my HERO
Apr 8, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Country
United States United States
I RECALL THIS TIME THREE YEARS AGO when I considered the 1969 Ryder Cup and famous last-hole concession as a book project. I anticipated a compelling story but also had some serious questions. One big question involved Jack Nicklaus.

Would I get an interview with the Golden Bear?

Jack Nicklaus and Neil Sagebiel at Golden Bear Plaza.​
Well, I got help. Those helping people know who they are and how grateful I am. In fact, they're in the acknowledgments of DRAW IN THE DUNES.

So, yes, I got that interview. It took place in Jack's office suite in North Palm Beach. A day earlier I interviewed Tony Jacklin across the state at The Concession Golf Club in Bradenton. I first met him at the 2012 U.S. Open in San Francisco.

I had other important questions concerning the book.

Would Jack and Tony write the book's foreword?

I thought about that a lot, including how and when to ask them. They said yes. Both men could not have been more supportive throughout the project.

Recently, I wondered if one or both of them would mention DRAW IN THE DUNES on their social networking sites and in other communications channels. They both did.

Tony Jacklin at The Concession Golf Club.
Paintings of Jack and Tony are in background.​
Along with visibility at Facebook and Twitter, DRAW IN THE DUNES: The 1969 Ryder Cup and the Finish That Shocked the World was featured at Nicklaus.com:
‘Draw in the Dunes’ provides 45th anniversary retrospective on the 1969 Ryder Cup and the finish that shocked the golf world
Jack Nicklaus and Tony Jacklin have co-authored a foreword for Draw in the Dunes, a book released this month that documents the 1969 Ryder Cup, during which Nicklaus conceded the last putt to Jacklin, keeping the Cup for the Americans while letting the British walk away with their most successful Ryder Cup result in years. From this event and unparalleled act of sportsmanship, which came to be known as “The Concession,” Nicklaus and Jacklin forged a lifelong friendship and ushered in a new era of golf. more
As I look back to October 2011 when I started planning and researching this book, I realize everything worked out as well (or better) than I imagined.

Source: Hanging Out With Jack and Tony

🔥 Latest posts