• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Happy St. Patrick's Day

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
upload_2018-3-16_9-40-22.png

Yes, for one day of the year, you can all be Irish!

Tomorrow will be a momentous day. Ireland plays England in the final match of the Six Nations (Rugby) Championship. We have already won five matches, just England to go. So the championship is already won, this is for the Grand Slam. If Ireland beats England, on St. Patrick's Day, I think the country will be drunk for a week.

irish-rugby-fans-in-rome-dressed-as-leprechauns-C1KMY7.jpg

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
Will be traveling all day tomorrow, St. Pat's Day. Just hope those who spend the day consuming the green beverages stay in the bars and off the roads. Just don't need someone suddenly believing they are Irish enough to drive on the wrong side of the road.

Last weekend was our community's "Faux Patty's Day". A number of years ago, the local bars were disappointed as St. Pat's Day fell during Spring Break. So, they copied what a number of universities have done and started a "FPD" a week before the actual St. Pat's Day weekend. Bars open at 6 a.m. and are open for a full 24 hours. Law enforcement is brought in from other communities as far as 60 miles away to assist in keeping some semblance of control. Thousands of college students spend the day drinking, urinating and defecating on streets and sidewalks, passing out in the middle of streets, etc. This year there were over 50 arrests for assault, brawling, etc. Almost 500 were cited for minors in possession, drugs possession, public indecency, and the like. Local emergency care facilities are overloaded. The "festivities" are contained by temporary fences and police presence to a local college hangout district where most of the bars are. The bar owners do a very good job working with volunteer organizations for the Sunday cleanup. It requires fire trucks to hose down the sidewalks and streets, removing vomit and feces. IIRC, we've only had one killed and that was from falling off a roof where a keg party was being held. Lots treated for alcohol poisoning.

On St. Pat's Day, the college kids are gone and the adults come back out of their hiding places. The community has a charity "run". The bars are frequented by those more interested in watching NCAA basketball on televisions than getting falling down drunk.

OP
IrishGolfer

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
spend the day drinking, urinating and defecating on streets and sidewalks, passing out in the middle of streets, etc.

This year there were over 50 arrests for assault, brawling, etc.

Almost 500 were cited for minors in possession, drugs possession, public indecency, and the like.

fire trucks to hose down the sidewalks and streets, removing vomit and feces.

Lots treated for alcohol poisoning.

This is just a normal weekend in Dublin!

OP
IrishGolfer

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
What a weekend! St Patrick’s Day was awesome. I played golf in the morning, on a bright day but with a freezing cold easterly wind. I played really well, considering the conditions, missed a few putts, but was very happy with the score. Then we watched Ireland BEAT England to win the Grand Slam in Rugby, only the third time to ever happen. And then I watched Rory win, playing AWESOME golf on Sunday night. Then we had a lovely Monday off on holiday. I sure wish every weekend could be like that.

🔥 Latest posts