• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Happy Thanksgiving!

subsonic

Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2008
Enjoy your time with Family and Friends!

Count your blessings and the many things you have to be thankful for. This is a day to focus on what you have rather than what you don't.

Try not to eat too much...
Happy-Thanksgiving.jpg

Last edited:

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
Wishing all the Shot Talk dingbats and their families a HAPPY THANKSGIVING!! I posted the following on my FB page this morning. Been pretty humbling working with the kids I've been substitute teaching with...

As many of you know, I've been doing some substitute teaching in a program assisting disadvantaged youth earn their high school diploma and receive vocational training in a number of career choices. It's been an eye-opening experience, putting an exclamation point on the fact I do NOT want to go back and be 20 again!!! Approaching this time of us giving thanks for the blessings we have, it's tough visiting with some of these kids and understanding just how blessed we are. A couple of stories....
A week ago one of my students was trying to arrange flights for her and her child back home for Thanksgiving. She is 19. Her son is 4. She was having trouble finding a hotel in her home area that she felt was safe for her and her child. I asked why she couldn't just stay with her mother or father. She explained that if she stayed with her Mother, her Father would become enraged and refuse to see her. Likewise, if she stayed with her Father, her Mother would disown her and the child would not see its grandmother. This young lady has been one of the hardest working students in my classes. She is trying so hard to have a career where she can provide for her child. And the support from her family is......
Yesterday, the staff was invited to have lunch with the students. After the students had been through the lines, we followed. When I had my plate and drink I looked for a place to sit. A very nicely dressed young lady was sitting at a table by herself so I asked if I could share the table. She said, "Sure!" When I asked if she would be going home for Thanksgiving, she said she would be and "I'm so excited!". I queried, "Do you have siblings... brothers and sisters?" "Yes, sir. I'm the oldest of 13." The young lady probably noticed my eyes show my surprise. She went on to explain....
"All 13 of us are our Dad's. The 13 of us have 5 different mothers. I, along with 4 of them live with my Dad. The others live with their mothers. We're getting together this year at my Mother's home." By now, thinking of the dynamics of not only a split family but a family split in more ways than my mind can even comprehend, I ask if she will be able to see ALL the siblings. "Oh yes! They will all be at my Mother's home with their mothers. My Mother has other kids not by my Dad and they will be their too. So, we'll have at least 19 kids, my Dad, my Dad's wife, and all his ex-wives." By now, my brain is spinning faster than a contestant on Dancing With Stars!! I ask, "That will be a HUGE crowd. And all will get along?" The young lady continues... "There is a lot of 'not getting along' during the year. But, every Thanksgiving and Christmas everyone bites their tongue and we all get together. They do this on those two holidays so all of us kids can get to know each other in a friendly environment. Honestly, everyone laughs a lot and we always have a very exciting and fun day. They call it 'cooperation'. I hope they continue this FOREVER!"
I told this young lady how lucky she was and what an advantage she had over most of the other youth here. "When your family can put away differences and come together for the good of you kids, they are teaching you a lesson that will give you such an advantage as you move forward with your life!" She thanked me and by that time we were both done with our lunches and went our separate ways.
Two stories from kids with such different dynamics! One whose parents make her stay in a hotel because they won't set aside their own attitudes long enough to spend time together with their child and grandchild at Thanksgiving. Then, the dynamics of a father and his five broken marriages where all do put aside the differences for the benefit of their children.
We are so blessed with our own family, our kids, and grandkids. We give thanks every day for the joy they have brought us. Yet, as we get together on this Thanksgiving Day, we need to remember those who are enduring family environment issues that we can only imagine. Today, I sincerely hope ALL can find a means to give thanks for what they do enjoy and I wish all our valued friends and family a SAFE AND HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Oh! Sorry for the length of the above post. I usually try to keep my posts short and to the point!!:p

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
I ate too much. I can't feel my legs.....
I can't SEE my legs!! One daughter and family here today. Wife cooked yesterday and this morning. Turkey, ham, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, green bean casserole, fruit salad, sweet corn, cranberry sauce, pumpkin pie, and apple pie... both with ice cream. Stuffed beyond sensibility. And, the other daughter and family coming tomorrow so it will be a repeat performance! My heart is having convulsions just thinking about the body handling all this food!!! Maybe it isn't all that bad. The son-in-law asked why she didn't have rolls and butter with the meal. She said she is cutting us back on carbs!!!!!

🔥 Latest posts