• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Hard Drive problems

The master

Oct 24, 2004
On sunday morning I turned my computer on and everything was working fine, I went out and played golf about 7 hours later I went to use the computer again, but it was a different story. I turned the computer on and it got to the "Welcome to windows xp" page on the start up and froze, I then noticed a strange almost hissing noise comming from the base unit. I wasn't sure what was happening so I manually shut the computer down and tired again, but the exact same thing happended. After several goes it kept freezing on the same page. So I examined it further by taking of the side of the computer and discovered that this noise was comming from the hard drive, which is what I had gathered.

I am currently using the family comupter and my 2 year old dell is sitting in my room doing nothing, is there anyway this can be fixed, or am I going to have to buy a new hard drive. Will all my stuff be lost of the other computer or can it be retrieved.

Thanks in advance for any help.

LeftyHoges

I've got the pants that'll make you dance!
Supporting Member
Jun 11, 2007
Portland, VIC, Australia
Country
Australia Australia
Not the greatest techie around but I believe a good computer technician will be able to save 90% of whats on your hard drive. The hissing may be coming from a bad sector on the drive when trying to boot. A good 250gb hard drive should only cost you about 60 pound. (Well they're worth about $150 AUS so thats my conversion :laugh:). And they're not hard to install. Other option is to take the computer to a place that does free diagnostics of your computer. They'll soon sort you out.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
Hissing???

You notice any clicking noises recently? A sure sign your hard drive is about to go.

Usually when the Harddrive goes you will get a message that it cannot find the operating system

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
On sunday morning I turned my computer on and everything was working fine, I went out and played golf about 7 hours later I went to use the computer again, but it was a different story. I turned the computer on and it got to the "Welcome to windows xp" page on the start up and froze, I then noticed a strange almost hissing noise comming from the base unit. I wasn't sure what was happening so I manually shut the computer down and tired again, but the exact same thing happended. After several goes it kept freezing on the same page. So I examined it further by taking of the side of the computer and discovered that this noise was comming from the hard drive, which is what I had gathered.

I am currently using the family comupter and my 2 year old dell is sitting in my room doing nothing, is there anyway this can be fixed, or am I going to have to buy a new hard drive. Will all my stuff be lost of the other computer or can it be retrieved.

Thanks in advance for any help.

You DO have a backup of all your important data, right?

Jun 24, 2006
You DO have a backup of all your important data, right?

Eracer, Isn't the guy in your sig suppose to beat himself into a pile of mush?.

I'd make sure something didn't wiggle loose, but I have no idea when it comes to the technical fixingness side of comps.

LeftyHoges

I've got the pants that'll make you dance!
Supporting Member
Jun 11, 2007
Portland, VIC, Australia
Country
Australia Australia
Eracer, Isn't the guy in your sig suppose to beat himself into a pile of mush?.

Looks like its been cut short. If you watch closely a little bit of red pops up on the keyboard, and thats where it starts....

Curious, how do you cut short a .gif file? (I'm assuming its a .gif) :laugh:

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but my Dell did something similar about a year ago. It was the hard drive. They couldn't save anything from mine. That sucked. Take it out and stick it in the freezer for an hour. That can get them to work long enough to back it up.

wirehair

Life's too short to drink cheap wine.
Apr 29, 2005
Hissing huh? Could be one of the read/write heads dragging on a platter as it spins. No good can come of that.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Looks like its been cut short. If you watch closely a little bit of red pops up on the keyboard, and thats where it starts....

Curious, how do you cut short a .gif file? (I'm assuming its a .gif) :laugh:

I tried a few shareware gif animation programs, and none of them worked the way I wanted them to. So I bought a $49 program called "Gif Animator" from Longtion Software

🔥 Latest posts

Members online