• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Have application developers killed expensive GPS units?

OP
Slingblade61

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
They just told you, are you not understanding English today?

JArmour

Go VOLS!
Jan 2, 2008
I just downloaded this app for my iphone 3G. Do I also have to pay the 19.99 yearly membership fee?

Also I have no clue how to map my own course.

Allentown Municipal Golf Course, Allentown, PA.

OP
Slingblade61

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
I think the fee is a one time deal, renewable annually.

You can request mapping near the bottom of the 'courses' page.

ayasin

Oct 20, 2008
are you guys working on a way to reduce the battery usage on the iphone using that program?

cool to have some techy guys on here! Welcome!

Thanks :). The iPhone version already does a lot of stuff to ensure minimal battery usage, for example as soon as you put it in your pocket (or just cover the top of the screen with your hand) it instantly shuts off the screen which is one of the biggest power pigs. The only thing about the current version that makes it power intensive (which is resolved in the update that Apple is currently reviewing) is that live online scoring is on by default. You can turn it off before the round starts, but if you don't notice it the phone will continuously send each shot to the server as it happens which consumes quite a bit of power especially if you have a poor cell signal.

ayasin

Oct 20, 2008
I just downloaded this app for my iphone 3G. Do I also have to pay the 19.99 yearly membership fee?

The version you just purchased comes with a year of service. At the end of the year if you want to continue using the online features you'll need to pay for another year of membership.

You can get your course mapped by requesting it on the site. Go to courses on the teedroid site and scroll to the bottom of the page (I don't have enough posts to post a link). Dang, Slingblade beat me to it lol.

finnk

Aug 30, 2008

I went ahead and mapped the course for you, go to the TeeDroid Courses page (cant post links) and since it is alphabetical I think the course is number 6 on the list or so.

A link to the mapping instructions can be found on the clubhouse page, default page after login.

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
I'd be tempted to try it. I have the BB Pearl. It just looks a little time consuming to put in each shot you've made on the phone while playing..

Not to mention, I didn't see any courses near me, or where I usually play.

finnk

Aug 30, 2008
I'd be tempted to try it. I have the BB Pearl. It just looks a little time consuming to put in each shot you've made on the phone while playing..

Not to mention, I didn't see any courses near me, or where I usually play.

The video has not been updated to reflect the latest features. The Blackberry version does have 2 modes (both lets you see ranges/distances on course):

1) Play-by-Play, this lets you track each shot individually. Tracking by this method lets you know how far you hit each club. If you want to you can use a shot cut to just enter the number of putts (simple to do while at next tee). That way you still get distance calcs for long clubs but don't need to enter putts individually.

2) Manual Scoring (not in video) - this lets you track score and optionally other stats as well (gir, sand saves, fairways hit etc). You can basically enter the information as you go or tally it up while at the next tee.

It actually is very easy to use. Plus on Blackberry you get a free 10 day trial so you can figure out whether it will run on your phone etc.

If you want to I can map the courses you play. Go to the site and request the course from the link at the bottom of the courses page.

JArmour

Go VOLS!
Jan 2, 2008
Thanks a lot Finnk and Ayasin....you too sling.

Seriously the app is real nice. I have the skycaddie sg3, that I've been using for a while.

I'm going to give the app on my 3g and the skycaddie a head to head test either Thursday or Friday and I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Thanks again.

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
Has this been tested on the Samsung Instinct? I just picked up this phone and have been looking for a golf app but have been coming up empty handed. If anyone can confirm this works with my phone I'll for sure be checking this out!

Oh and of course would need my local course in there lol. Owasso Golf and Athletic Club... Owasso, OK.

DH4816

Jun 20, 2008
Interesting. Does it work on the 8703 blackberry or just the pearl, curve etc? Also does it work on the worldphone version? I'm about to upgrade my phone.

DH

finnk

Aug 30, 2008
Has this been tested on the Samsung Instinct? I just picked up this phone and have been looking for a golf app but have been coming up empty handed. If anyone can confirm this works with my phone I'll for sure be checking this out!

Oh and of course would need my local course in there lol. Owasso Golf and Athletic Club... Owasso, OK.

Currently there are only iPhone and BlackBerry versions of the software, shortly we will be releasing a version for the Android phones. A J2ME version that runs on most java enabled phones is in the plan. No firm release date as of yet.

🔥 Latest posts