• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Have application developers killed expensive GPS units?

finnk

Aug 30, 2008
Interesting. Does it work on the 8703 blackberry or just the pearl, curve etc? Also does it work on the worldphone version? I'm about to upgrade my phone.

DH

Depending on the "release" version of the 8703, i.e. if the software version on the phone is 4.2.1 or later it should support it (according to RIM docs). Not all versions would have built in GPS so it is possible that you would need a GPS puck.

It has been verified to run on Pearl (8100+), Curve (8300+), World (8800+), and the Bold (9000). And as mentioned before it does run on the iPhone 3G and will be released in the next days for T-Mobile G1/Android phones.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Thanks for adding the Mississippi courses Fiink. Guess I'll have to buy the program now huh? ;)

DH4816

Jun 20, 2008
Depending on the "release" version of the 8703, i.e. if the software version on the phone is 4.2.1 or later it should support it (according to RIM docs). Not all versions would have built in GPS so it is possible that you would need a GPS puck.

It has been verified to run on Pearl (8100+), Curve (8300+), World (8800+), and the Bold (9000). And as mentioned before it does run on the iPhone 3G and will be released in the next days for T-Mobile G1/Android phones.

Thanks, I think I'll pick it up. How can I get my home course added? It is Mt. Vernon Country Club in Alexandria Virginia.

DH

finnk

Aug 30, 2008
Thanks, I think I'll pick it up. How can I get my home course added? It is Mt. Vernon Country Club in Alexandria Virginia.

DH

I added your course, please review the information: TeeDroid Golf Course Mount Vernon

I did not find an official layout map but used the pics + cart path and scorecard to generate the coordinates. Courses can be requested and typically it takes about 4 hours to 4 biz days to add the course (depending on whether enough info is available online). Members can also map courses.

DH4816

Jun 20, 2008
That's very cool. Is it possible for me to add points once I have the software? For instance distance to a bunker, to carry a hazard etc.?

finnk

Aug 30, 2008
That's very cool. Is it possible for me to add points once I have the software? For instance distance to a bunker, to carry a hazard etc.?

Yes - the BlackBerry version has landmarks which can be added via the phone. This feature will be added shortly to the the iPhone. Landmarks come in single point, reach carry (2 distances), and area (5 distances: left & right reach/carry + center), and can have short descriptions.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Thanks for all the help Finn. Anyone considering this, let me give you a piece of advice. Go for it. I was upset that no courses in Mississippi were available. Finn downloaded 3 courses, including my home course, before I even bought the program. Then I was having fits trying to get it to load and he called me and walked me through it step by step. I can assure you that the customer service can not be beat. I haven't gotten to play a round with it yet due to this persistent cold, but I am already delighted with it.

Thanks again Finn, best of luck with this.

I just finished playing 9 holes with my new and improved Blackberry. Improved because it now has TeeDroid on it. All I can say is WOW. I love it. It's easy to use, accurate from what I can tell, and extremely helpful. Walking up to my ball and knowing how far I was from the green makes a huge difference. It tracks your fairways hit, GIR, sand saves, scrambles, number of putts, all the good stuff quickly and easily. I hadn't picked up a club in 3 1/2 weeks due to my elbow so of course I was somewhat rusty. But even so, I shot a 44 for 9 on a par 35. And a lot of that was because of the TeeDroid giving me the confidence to know what club to hit to reach the green. I'm telling you, if you don't already have a Golf GPS unit, and you own a GPS enabled phone, you are crazy not to add this to your phone. It will even let you set your location when you hit your tee shot, then tell you how far your drive was. BTW, the longest drive today that I remembered to check was 270 yards, on the fly into the rough. My driving accuracy was 60%, GIR was 33%, averaged 2.5 putts a hole for a total of 12. Not to bad after a 3 1/2 week lay-off?

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
I'd be tempted to try it. I have the BB Pearl. It just looks a little time consuming to put in each shot you've made on the phone while playing..

Not to mention, I didn't see any courses near me, or where I usually play.

It really doesn't take much time to enter the info. All you do is at the end of the hole, enter total number of strokes, then number of putts. You can also enter if you hit the fairway, GIR, sand save or scramble. These are all a simple y or n answer. Takes all of about 1 minute to enter, if that long.

As far as battery usage, I set mine to manual and played 18 with a freind, the course wasn't real busy so we breezed around in around 3 1/2 hours and I still had over half my battery left on my Blackberrry Curve.

JArmour

Go VOLS!
Jan 2, 2008
Finally got out to give it a head to head with my Sky Caddy. The Teedroid worked just as good with yardages to the green as the sky caddy. I don't have any carry numbers for hazards or anything yet but for knowing the distance to the green from anywhere was dead on.

I also really like how it keeps your distances for each club, and records all of your stats. This process really takes no time at all, once you get going with the application it's really quite simple. I used it on the front 9 so I couldn't really tell about battery life but, there was just about 75% left on my 3G.

Great application and great price. Thanks a lot.

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2007
this thread with reviews from Shottalk members has peeked my interest - I'm willing to give it a try, but have a question. In the TeeDroid FAQs, it says
"Verizon has decided to block access to GPS for 3rd party developers on certain models of their phones. We are currently working with Verizon to get TeeDroid approved. In the mean time you can use a bluetooth GPS receiver/puck with your Verizon phone. Sorry for the inconvenience."
Does anyone have a list of VZW bberries it does/does not work on. I'm currently using a 8703e, wife has curve, and i'm probably going to pick up a Storm soon

RoughedgesMR

Jul 14, 2008
havent run it yet but what great customer service. I emailed for 4 courses yesterday at 3pm. They are already on there with a email letting me know. I will join the full version today. Great work guys. Finns the man today. :thumbs up:

jazzmoe

Dec 18, 2008
I use gloftraxx for my blackberry curve. I have tried all of the GPS programs for my blackberry and I like golftraxx the best. It is free to anyone that maps out 1 course via google earth. It only takes me about 30 min to map out a course now. A noob might take an hour or so. It does not have the functionality of score keeping or shot tracking for blackberry, but it is very simple to use and map. there are already hundreds to thousands of courses mapped. It gives you GPS distances for front middle and back and also any point on the course you desire. IE: sandtrap, tree, water. It is available for other phones as well and it has more functionality for phones other than blackberry. I am not affilated with golftraxx or anyone else. I have just been a beta version gunipig for every available golf software I could find this year.

Strider

Mar 16, 2005
I have been toying with the idea of getting the tee droid software but have a question. I have a blackberry pearl that was givin to me but i am not currently using. If i put this software on it can i just use the phone as is or do i need to have a paid/working phone service on the phone? I believe it is gps enabled so i am thinking i don't need to pay for the phone service to use it for golf.

🔥 Latest posts