• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Have stiff shafts wrecked my swing?

wirehair

Life's too short to drink cheap wine.
Apr 29, 2005
Here’s the situation. I’ve come to the conclusion that my shafts in Drivers & FW’s are wrong. I need a little advice.

I lost my FW wood (It was in my son's bag and it was stolen), Got on a swing monitor & they said I was swinging low to mid 90’s with a driver, so they recommended either R or S flex. R for distance, S for control. They had a Titleist 975f w/ a grafalloy Prolight 35, R flex. It’s a bore through head & felt a little stiff, but I had 93MPH on the swing monitor. The price was right $40. I put it in the bag.

I wanted a draw weighted driver & swung them. I liked a Hogan CS-3 with 70 gram stiff. The club’s weighting was right, getting straight, but short drives and the shaft felt a little stiff, as expected. I’m still thinking stiffer equals more control. I bought one on E-Bay & put it in the bag.

I’ve got a Hogan CFT 3h with a #4 shaft that I hit OK, nothing spectacular, but I do OK. My irons are Titleist 822OS w/ NS950 stiff. These feel softer than the Rifle 5.0’s I had in my previous set. I hit the short irons pretty good, long irons not so much. I thought the softer feel was the result of the lighter shafts. 100 gram vs. about 120 for the rifles.

Now I’ve got stiff shafts in my clubs, I'm swinging harder to get distance, and my scores have been climbing. I’ve screwed my swing tempo up, and wrecked my back, so now I’m 20 strokes over where I was at the end of August when I played Bogey golf.

Last week I badly duffed the 975 & this guy I was playing with handed me his 16 degree rescue mid with an R flex in steel. It felt right and the ball was long & straight. I went down, demoed the same club & got consistent results – long & straight. Bought it.

With the driver, I will occasionally rip one a long way, but it’s not routine, more often I lose it right. The 975 is out of the bag.

Played yesterday with a sore back, lost about 8 balls & shot 113. I’ve totally lost control of my swing speed & tempo and was just flailing at the ball. The only long club I could hit was the R flex Rescue, but I hit it very well. To top it off, my Pro moved out of town & I can’t get with her for advice, so I’m at a loss.

It looks to me like it’s the arrows not the Indian. Does this whole thing sound reasonable that the 93mph swing speed was bogus, and those stiff shafts have ruined my swing, my back & my game?

Also, can anyone confirm that those stiff NS 950's in my irons play softer than Rifle 5.0's?

“Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi, you’re my only hope.”

OP
wirehair

wirehair

Apr 29, 2005
OMG, gimme a break. I'm in pain here! Not only physically but emotionally. I shot 113 and that's after cheating.

My pro has left town & I'm reduced to getting advice from some guys over the internet. Not only that but I've got a $7 haircut, & the Atomic Wings I ate last night have visited the Gastro Intestinal Exit Point!
:faintthud

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
I think your swing speed is ok for both stiff and regular.Sounds like Reg is best for you.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Wire,

I have some freshly pulled TT DG R300's in MINT shape if you want them for cheap. .355 tip with Tour Velvet grips, great shape. I have 2 rounds on them.

R35

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
My pro has left town & I'm reduced to getting advice from some guys over the internet. Not only that but I've got a $7 haircut, & the Atomic Wings I ate last night have visited the Gastro Intestinal Exit Point!

Thank you for that. :) After 2 crappy days at the range, I needed a laugh.

I have the Hogan C-S3 in neutral, Aldila NV-H 70-R, and I am slicing it, hooking it, skying it, and today I even whiffed it once. :(

Doesn't make sense to me, I have the Hogan 3 wood and 5 wood with the same shafts, and I hit both of them OK. What the heck is wrong with me?

Screw it. As soon as I get the time, I'm paying for a session on the launch monitor, and buying whatever they recommend for a driver. That Hogan driver doesn't know how close it came to being broken into several pieces today.

OP
wirehair

wirehair

Apr 29, 2005
I have a plan, it's pretty much:
  • quit whining
  • get the right gear
  • learn to play golf

Oh, plus get a decent haircut and stay away from Atomic Hot Wings.

;)

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
If you're back's bothering you that could be a big part of your problem. I've just started playing again after 8 weeks off and some physical therapy.

My first round with a healthy back saw a much improved swing. Drives we're on average 20 - 25 yds longer. Played again yesterday and hit my first drive 270 into the wind and my 3 wood was consistantly 250 all day. I know that's no big deal for some of you but in the past 250 was about my max for driver.

We were behind a very slow group that wouldn't let us through and as the round progressed my back started to stiffen up. By the end of the round my swing was crap. This would've bothered me before but now I know what it is and it's not my clubs.

Get a doctor or someone to give you some good stretches and excercises and get your back in shape before you go buy a bunch of clubs. You may end up switching to reg shafts but it won't do any good if your back's screwed up.

Edit: And never give up the wings.

P_102

Jun 7, 2005
OK, maybe I missed it but why are you swinging harder? To get the same distance as before? The stiffer shaft will give you better directional results but not be as long, right?....So, go back to your normal swing and get more shots in the fairway vs. a little longer and in the rough. Unless you're a short hitter, you'll probably only lose 1 club length but have much better approaches to the greens. It sounds like you're just trying to hit it too far vs. keep it in play.

P_102

Kilted Arab

Apr 30, 2005
wirehair said:
OMG, gimme a break. I'm in pain here! Not only physically but emotionally. I shot 113 and that's after cheating.

:faintthud

cracking post!

photo, or at least a description, of the haircut please!

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
you say how your swing was terrible as result of your back yet you blame your clubs???? at least thats how i interpret it

take a break from golf (1-2 weeks) then go do your launch monitor testing and see what it reveals

also.... (loose the titleist clubs, thats whats really hurting you)

:smilie_tm

OP
wirehair

wirehair

Apr 29, 2005
P_102 said:
It sounds like you're just trying to hit it too far vs. keep it in play.
Yup... I gotta stop swinging for the fences with my long clubs & play short golf. Tempo - Tempo - Tempo.

Youngun5 said:
also.... (loose the titleist clubs, thats whats really hurting you)
Nope... Those arrows are OK.
:smilie_ti

It's the driver shaft & the #4 stiff in the CFT that's gonna go. The 975J isn't right for me.

After a rest & a couple of trips to the range (9 o'clock to 3 o'clock at 75%) I'll prolly be OK. Just gotte keep the testosterone levels down. Mebbe sex before I play?
:D

Thanks for your comments guys...

🔥 Latest posts