• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Have you ever.....

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
Played after the course was 'closed'?

I'm not talking about sneaking on, or anything like that.

Yesterday after work, it was a last minute thing, we decided to go walk 9. It's cheap for us to walk, and we can take our time. They only allow carts before 5, and want everything in by 7ish.

Normally thats no problem, we can do 9, in under 1.5 hours.

However, being that it's dark earlier, and I have trouble getting out by 5, we walk. Cost us mere pennies to play a nice track to walk. $7 or 8 I think. Which is just dirt cheap.

Anyways.. It's rained all day.. On and off, with some heavy stuff. He called 3 times, no answer over a 2 hours period... We show up and no one there. Just a guy with a pole fishing for balls in the water hazards and in the woods is all we saw.

The rain had stopped when we arrived, and drizzled for 2 holes, rained pretty steady for about 1.5 holes and was nice a dry for the rest of the holes.. Fairways had some nice water spots, and squishy.. Greens just sucked the ball in.. We walked it, and it wasn't bad.. Damp.. I was just getting my swing back together. Shot a 45, which was ehhh, but I was happy.

I was kinda surprised they closed for the day... I would have slipped my money under the door, but hell.. I deserved a free 9 if I was willing to walk in the rain!!

:)

SplooGe

Supporting Member
Jan 7, 2007
Every year on Thanksgiving. There are a couple of courses that leave a donation box out and donate the money to "relay for life".

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
i walk onto the course all the time after its closed, anytime from dusk to 6am ive been on the course, ive played in the dark multiple times and work on my putting a lot at night as they have a light off the proshop that lights up the green.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Dark? Ewww.

And yeah, if the coarse is closed but they leave it open for walk-ons I'll usually get out there.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I did once last year when it below freezing out just to test out a driver. After the I hit the green with a PW and the ball bounced like it was concrete I decided not to bother playing the ball out. I just jumped around 5-6 holes to hit tee shots. I don't want to make it a habit as it is trespassing, plain and simple. If the course is closed, there is sometimes also a reason other than somebody just didn't feel like coming to work. They may feel the conditions would detrimental to the course. If you're plugging balls into the greens, that's obviously not good for the greens and walking on them is not good either.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
Yesterday after work, a buddy & I hit the local 9 hole course. Now this place never closes, or at least the bar/restaurant doesn't. Doors were locked, all lights off. We played anyways & figured if anyone showed up byt the time we finished we would pay for our rd. But nobody ever showed up.

Weird thing is there were a few others on the course also, 2 were walking like we did but there were probably 2-3 other groups whom had carts. Not sure how they got the keys since those are locked up in the pro-shop. Maybe the course left the keys in the carts?

OP
FATC1TY

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
People at our courses, have their own carts, so thats the only time I see them really late in the evening when they stop sending carts out..

I was the same way though. If someone showed up, I'd be happy to pay, or slide the money under the door.

Like yesterday, we hit the range and then 9.. It started getting dark and when we came up from the 9th, everything was shut down and closed up.

We hopped in the trucks, and rode down the road to the 11th hole, and played 2 more holes on the back for the hell of it before the sun went under the trees.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online