• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Have you had lessons, or are you self-taught?

Have you ever paid for lessons from a qualified teacher?

• Total voters

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast

Deep in thought
Sep 6, 2005
Even though I've often advised other newcomers to the game to get lessons, I've never had a lesson. I do my best to learn about the fundamentals of a swing through books, the internet, watching golfers on television, and watching when I get paired up with golfers who have more skill than me.

I suppose I could have saved myself some time and heartache if I had put up the money, and quelled my socially anxious tendencies about inquiring for lessons, although that now I've broken 90 I feel a certain stubborn pride about having greatly improved my swing and understanding of the game in my typical solitary fashion and nature.

So I'm just a bit curious now to hear from others here, from our hackers to our low-handicappers.

longiron

May 2, 2005
I'm not saying it is for everyone, but i am very proud of the fact that i have gotten myself down to a 4 with no lessons. There are thing that i think i need someone who knows what to look for to look at, but for the most part i think my swing is good and the rest i can WORK at and get on my own.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
Myself, I think it is an advantage to learn to play from a qualified person to learn the fundamentals. After that, I think alot of the fun in the game is self diagnosis. Although if I ever hit a dead end, I go back to an instructor to try and sort things out.

I spent 5 1 hour group lessons with 8 people that cost $100 total, to learn the fundamentals, and about 1 maybe 2, 1/2 hour lessons a year for the 5-6 years I have played. Usually in the beginning of the year.

What'saScore

I need an eraser
Feb 5, 2006
The guy I play with the most happens to be the father-in-law of David Ping, who plays the AAA league tour. My buddy has gotten plenty of pointers from David, and passes them on to me. Other than that I would consider myself to be self taught.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I think I've been able to learn a lot myself. But there is no doubt in my mind that a good instructor can see problems in my swing that I can't, and suggest the proper drills to fix them.

I think it's important to find an instructor that you believe in.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
None yet but I may consider. Problem is I know what I did or am doing wrong. I just need a little simplification to get more consistent.

Glenn70

Aug 15, 2005
After getting tired of posting crappy scores for so long, I'm about a 23 handicap, I decided to sign up for 6 hrs of lessons. Been thru 2 already. Went out on Saturday...shot a 54 on the front nine, and by the time I got around to the back nine, all of the things I've been taught came together, I finished with a 42. My swing is 1000% better ( no more outside in swing ). Its just a matter of overcoming 20 years of a bad swing and remember what I was taught instead of reverting back to the old way of doing it.

I would recommend lessons to anyone. However, I would also recommend going to a pro that someone recommends to you. I took lessons from a pro 2 years ago....he was more interested in quick fixes ( widen stance, take club straight back, etc ) to my swing, not the proper technique. The current pro I am going to is showing me all of that, ie: swing plane, stance, grip, etc. The things you expect to learn when paying a pro.

Matthew_22

Mar 31, 2006
Bac when I was around 14 or so and playing in the junior comps, we would have practice afternoons where they kind of gave us lessons.

I guess it helped a fair bit, but I think the big thing that has been holding back my progress is that I can't get out and play very often.

I think that there are a few things that probably I need to get looked at in my swing, but 80% of my shots I just need to practice more.

token_hottie

token_mommy... oops!
Jan 12, 2006
I put "other" because I have not paid for a formal lesson yet, but got some free lessons awhile back, and I'm signed up for an hour lesson this friday at the local range. I can't wait!!!

OP

Deep in thought
Sep 6, 2005
I am going to say this after some more learning over the weekend.

If you're going to go it alone, get yourself a copy of Hogan's 5 Lessons. The first lesson about the grip alone is worth it.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
Quick! Somebody find out which range TH goes to and we can get a picture. Settle the question once and for all.

token_hottie

token_mommy... oops!
Jan 12, 2006
SiberianDVM said:
Quick! Somebody find out which range TH goes to and we can get a picture. Settle the question once and for all.

The lesson comes with a video analysis that I will probably post. For a nominal fee of course. :)

OP

Deep in thought
Sep 6, 2005
SiberianDVM said:
Or we just need to hack into the Dept of Defense satellites and divert them to take photos of ranges. Then just look for "the cannonball with legs."

Jay McNasty

High Altitude Hacker
Aug 22, 2005
No lessons. I kept telling myself that I was going to see a pro this winter, but that never happened. My scores need the help.

KevinTPA

Aug 12, 2005
I've been playing for 14 years and I took my first lesson on Saturday. I was well worth the $50.00. He was able to point out a few things and get me on track. I'm going to schedule another lesson in a month or so to work on my short game.

The way I used to look at lessons is that I'd rather spend the money on a round of golf. Now I look at it the opposite. I'd rather spend the money on a lesson so I can enjoy golf better.

Treat it like a Doctor. If you have a problem or ailment, the Dr. usually can fix it. The same goes for an instructor that knows how to spot things in your swing.

🔥 Latest posts