• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Have you REALLY tested irons/clubs?

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
Rory Sabatini(SP?) works the ball as much as anyone on tour and plays complete shovels. There is NO science at all to support anyone who says you cant work a GI club. I have done it personally, a bunch of pros do it, its no different. Anything else happening is all between your ears.

As for guys on tour playing GI clubs. There are a lot of them. Rory, Immelman, Westwood, Jimenez, Rocco, Perry, Calc, weir and these are just off the top of my head.

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
Rory Sabatini(SP?) works the ball as much as anyone on tour and plays complete shovels. There is NO science at all to support anyone who says you cant work a GI club. I have done it personally, a bunch of pros do it, its no different. Anything else happening is all between your ears.

As for guys on tour playing GI clubs. There are a lot of them. Rory, Immelman, Westwood, Jimenez, Rocco, Perry, Calc, weir and these are just off the top of my head.

What's going on here Lyle???

It's really not that hard to open or close the face, guys. Something strange must be going on if you really can't fade or draw a game improvement club by adjusting the angle of the face.

There is nothing in the club design that can prevent a fade or draw with a center hit. At least, I haven't hit the iron that I can't make fade or draw.

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
I work the ball all the time with GI irons all the time. I work it into the left rough on one hole and over into the right trees on the next. You should see it.... I work the shit out of a ball and then work the next ball too.

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
And by the way, I can't work my Titleist blades nor my Super GI Cobras :D

eli_yates

looking to be scratch
Nov 19, 2007
maybe its because i generally play blades(srixon pro 100, tm icw5, wilson progressive, et cetera) i have a really easy time working the ball. i play the nickent 3dx pros right now which are pretty callaway in forgiveness id say. however, the workability is amazing i think. i mean i can hit a hook around the trees if i need to(my home course has this 305 yard dogleg left that i love to hit a hook 5 iron and let it run up to 60 yds.) i used to prefer the draw but now i have learned to appreciate the beauty in controlling a fade to the proper distance and having a 6 iron back up.

point is if you put an iron in my hand no matter sgi gi or player model i can work them all. and never will you hear me say oh that shot just didnt come off right cuz im play gi irons and so they arent as workable.

OP
dave.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Well, I almost agree with my fine Canadian friend. But no question in mind the amount of offset in a GI does make it harder to fade the ball. I agree anyone can shape a shot, once you get to a level that enables you to manipulate the ball (anyone under a 10 handicap, as a guess, can do this) but offset does mean you have to work a little bit harder

holinger

Mar 24, 2009
This is why I really enjoy the X-20 tours. They are a decently forgiving club, and still are considered "players" clubs, are great to look at, and give a decent distance.

millrivermem

Aug 12, 2008
Did I seriously see,in the thread, an amature golfer complain because they hit the ball too straight with GI irons?

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
Did I seriously see,in the thread, an amature golfer complain because they hit the ball too straight with GI irons?

This post says so much it isnt even funny.

I have to laugh everytime I see a 12 hdcp saying they hit the ball to straight. It really is hilarious. What I find odd is that in spite of all these new clubs that only hit the ball high and straight I sure see a lot of people looking for balls way, way off line. Could it be that marketing hype isnt all its cracked up to be? The horror.

OP
dave.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Wasn't Stenson using some horrid Srizon shovel? Oh the shame

OP
dave.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
and a horrid follow through, worse than Pavin, both duffers

🔥 Latest posts