• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Having heart valve repair surgery.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
Now I think I would be better off with Diabetes.

Well, this sucks the big one. Have had a leaky Mitral valve for quite some time, have one hell of a heart murmur. Anyways the Dr's have been keeping an eye on it for the last 7 years & they say it can't wait any longer, I need surgery to repair it. Don't want to go into all the bullshit details about what & why, etc. I am having a heart catheter done on the 26th, real fun too I guess. They go thru your femoral artery & there is a 1% chance of stroke, heart attack or death.

Then I meet up with the surgeon 3 days later. No appointment yet for the surgery but my cardiologist says the repair will make it just as good if not better than new & is a better alternative over replacement. Said I will be laid up off work anywhere from 4 weeks to 3 months afterwards. Already spoke with work & told them I can't afford to be on short term disability that long. My work is extremely accomodating & said we will work out some form of putzing around in the office that doesn't involve any physical work.

I'm a bit pissed off right now because I have the attitude "why me?". Not overweight, don't smoke, barely drink & yet I get hammered with a serious health issue.

Good thing is the Doctors & staff at UW Madison are the best around, but still can't help but worry.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Sucks WG but at least they are going to repair it before it gets any worse.

Good luck man, hopefully everything goes well.

Thats where my dad went for his heart 'issues', they are a helluva cardiac center. You are in good hands!

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
I'm a bit pissed off right now because I have the attitude "why me?". Not overweight, don't smoke, barely drink & yet I get hammered with a serious health issue.

I won't bore you with my "why me" but yeah, it sucks. I was running 10Ks and in great shape when I got my little surprise.

That seems like a long recovery but maybe I'm thinking about people I've known with blocked arteries. In an case good luck. At least it will be something you won't have to worry about anymore.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Really hate to hear this Wi. I hope everything comes out ok for you and you are better than new. Lord knows there was room for improvement, :laugh:

Just kidding Wi, me and my family will be praying for you.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Sorry to hear that, Wi. I didn't realize a mitral valve replacement would put you out of work that long!

Don't push the recovery. You don't want that new valve doing any extra work until it's fully healed.

And follow doctor's instructions TO THE LETTER both pre- and post-op. You do not want to get an infection in that valve after the surgery.

And you have my symphathy re: "Why me?"

I really don't understand why bad health happens to healthy people so often. I guess it really shows us how much genetics has to do with our longevity. The human body is a strange thing. I've known people who eat fried eggs, bacon, and buttered toast for breakfast, fatty foods for dinner, never exercise, drink, smoke, and live to be 90. Then there are the health nuts, who run 5 miles a day, take vitamins, eat plenty of fruits and veggies, have never smoked, who drop dead at 45 of a heart attack.

Makes no sense. None.

Anyway - I wish you a speedy and complete recovery.

Wi-Golfer....we CAN rebuild him!

sixmilliondollarman00.jpg

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
Good luck, my friend. My thoughts and prayers will be with you!

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
No need to worry mate. I know it sounds like the most complicated procedure in the world but it has become almost an everyday thing now a days. I'm sure your doctor already told you about the possible causes behind it so I won't even mention them. I've assisted a couple of valve replacements and its a very interesting procedure with excellent results to say the least. Recovery? Well, it sucks to stay still for three months, but that is the ONLY WAY to assure you years and yars of golf to come:emot-ange

And YES Eracer its mostly about genetics unfortunately....:deadhorse:
And there is nothing to do against that, for now at least....

OP
Wi-Golfer

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
Well the genetics deal has to be from my fathers side of the family. As far as I know nobody on my moms side had any serious heart crap, sure most of the women were fat but that's about it.

My dads side I have no idea, my parents divorced when I was 5 & I have only seen him 1 time since then. It was for a single day & I was 22 years old. That side of the family could be all screwed up with health issues for all I know.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Wi,

Don't sweat it. My Dad was ready to have the same procedure when he was told by his doctors that meds would be enough to help for the time being. They assured him (and us) that this is old hat when it comes to the surgery, it's not like it was 20 years ago (or 5 years ago for that matter.).

You'll come out of this with flying colours if you're as healthy as you let on. :thumbs up:

We're with ya buddy. Get'r done and get back out on the course!

R35

ClairefromClare

Like my balls?
Jul 23, 2008
Scary stuff, Wi, but it will work out for the best. Things really do have a way of doing that. Three months sounds like forever, but the time will pass whether or not you have the surgery. When the time is over, you'll be good as new (scary thought).

Hey, you might even read a book or something in there. :faintthud Nah.

OP
Wi-Golfer

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
Meds arent going to help this, need the surgery. Heart is enlarged due to having a lot more work to do, needs to pump blood as well as flush the blood out due to this leaking valve. As it gets larger it also gets stronger but only to a point, it can only continue so long before it starts ti get weaker & then there is no going back. It was caught early enough where everything will be fine.

Just the thought of them cracking open my chest & screwing around with my heart is pretty damn scary still.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Good luck man. We'll all be here for you to talk to when you're lounging around healing up. By the time the weather is worth a damn outside, you'll be recovered and healthy.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Just the thought of them cracking open my chest & screwing around with my heart is pretty damn scary still.

Well, they could go through the urethra. :D

Seriously tho, this surgery is commonplace. We all worry about the unknown, of course, but I assure you that you'll be in good hands. What seems unreal is old hat these days. You'll be up and around in no time. I guarantee it. :thumbs up:

R35

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
Best of luck with you. My father had a heart attack at 50 while in the middle of the desert in Iraq. He was brought back, and air medivac'd out, and got plenty of care. Had some surgery, and he's stronger, healthier and better than before.

You'll be fine.. Think of it, you'll pass Rock in post count!

🔥 Latest posts