• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Having problems hitting my 9 iron & wedge

huggystyle

Brave Golfers Only
Sep 30, 2005
Is anyone else or does anyone have any tips. As I am having real problems hitting my wedge and 9 iron. I play off 8 and when I address the ball with either of them clubs I have no confiedence and just can't hit it. Does anyone else have this problems? I don't have this problem with any other club.

shanks

Oct 7, 2005
Been there doen that. It is a mental thing and you just have to work it out. One day it is my 9 iron the next day it is my 5 iron, etc.........

Are you pulling it, slicing it, etc....???

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
huggystyle said:
Is anyone else or does anyone have any tips. As I am having real problems hitting my wedge and 9 iron. I play off 8 and when I address the ball with either of them clubs I have no confiedence and just can't hit it. Does anyone else have this problems? I don't have this problem with any other club.

Tippex out the 9 and PW on these clubs and write 4 and 5 respectively in black marker. Then you should have no worries! :)

Seriously though, what's the problem? Distance conrol, hitting fat, thin? If the rest of your game is OK, then it sounds as if it is mental; you are probably tensing up over these clubs. The more you worry, the tenser you get, the harder it is to hit them.

Sometimes it can be as simple as knowing your yardage and getting comfortable hitting specific distances. Next time you are at the range take either of the 2 offending weapons and spend 30 minutes hitting it. Don't hit anything else. Aim for a target / flag and warm up until you get some confidence. Relax your hands and arms and just swing the club. Then take 10 balls and see how many you can get close. Try building up this over a few range sessions and your confidence should improve when out on the course.

One other technical thing to try. Move the ball a bit further back in your stance and hit down perhaps a bit more on the back of the ball. without seeing your swing or knowing what's wrong, it's only a guess.

Kilted Arab

Apr 30, 2005
I feel your pain.

To the extent that I do my best to avoid leaving yardage that would mean using those clubs. Cant always do it, of course, but that's where I am and I hate it.

Just dont have the time to get to the range and sort it out. I refer to my problem as "chip yips" and it's hell.

Lemme know if you find the answer!

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
3 common reasons,try one and see 1.Ball not far enough back in stance,and weight not forward on left leg. (about 60/40 left/right) 2.Hands not in front of ball enough 3.Going girly and swinging to easy,hit the bugger as hard as you would a drive,crunch these low irons,its how the pros get spin

Loop

Aug 27, 2004
huggystyle said:

You play off 8, and have trouble with your wedge?

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Brad Faxon stopped using his driver for 2 years,it took him ages to get it back in the bag

SilverBullet

Oct 11, 2005
I had this problem with my short irons recently. I would tense up and spend an eternity over the ball. What worked for me was really working out a preshot routine, stepping up to the ball and pulling the trigger. Good luck.

LottaBalata

Jun 30, 2005
It depends on that particular day, but there is ALWAYS a club in the bag I struggle with.

As for short irons. . .I've realized that what has helped me the most is lots of practice. Hitting NO FULL SWING shots at the range. Taking nothing but 1/4, 1/2, and 3/4 shots with short irons. They become easier to control and just feel like an extension of your arms. Practice!! Good Luck

MyGolfDomain.com

Apr 2, 2005
What has helped me lately is to "dial in" what my body position is right before impact. If I'm in the proper position (good balance, head slightly behind ball, etc.) then I know the shot will be okay even if there are other problems with the swing.

It's a cool thing to be able to do. Sometimes I forget to "check" and there is no telling what will happen then. In that instant moment before impact if you get out of position (lunge, sway back, etc.) you are in trouble.

🔥 Latest posts