• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Hdcp Question

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Okay, I just joined MyScorecard handicapping system and entered scores to arrive at a hdcp of 10.5. I also joined one of the local "clubs" given on their website that is licensed by the USGA to give printable official handicap cards. Did I do this correctly? Golf courses I have a season pass to don't do the handicap thing (county courses).

Oh yeah. What about the groove rule? Can amateurs play the old grooves for ???? years?

LeftyHoges

I've got the pants that'll make you dance!
Supporting Member
Jun 11, 2007
Portland, VIC, Australia
Country
Australia Australia
Not sure about the USGA stuff, but as far as I'm aware amateurs can play the "old groove" clubs until 2021 for club events and they are allowed so long as the tournament you are playing in doesn't strictly forbid them.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Handicapping is more of an "art" than a science. Few follow the guidelines. Either they want a 'bagger' hndcp for tourney play.... and pick up a few bucks. Or, they want an 'ego' hndcp so they can brag to their girlfriends, drinking buddies, or grandmother as to their prowess on the course.

If you are to keep an accurate hndcp, you MUST record all your scores.... tourney, non-tourney, nine-hole, and 18-hole. If you are to keep an accurate handcp, you MUST observe the Rules of Golf. You play the ball as it lies... no moving it, kicking it, rolling it. You take proper relief from hazards and OB shots. And, there are NO Mulligans!!

On-line hndcp systems are okay, if... IF you religiously record each and every score. My SIL uses a Sky Caddie and, immediately upon returning home, records his Sky Caddie data to an on-line hndcp system.

For USGA hndcp purposes, you must made ESC adjustments. Depending on your hndcp, you have a maximum number of shots that can be carded on specific holes. You cannot record a 9 or 11... or some huge number.... just to kick up your hndcp for the upcoming Member's tourney. Make the ESC adjustments. Some on-line systems will do the adjusting for you.

I believe the current grooves are okay until 2024... for most everyone except the pros. And, we are being told the groove issue will be revisited by the USGA before that time. I would look for the use of most any currently conforming groove to be extended, for amateurs, indefinitely. Lots will depend on the lobbying done by equipment manufacturers. The original groove issue was to be a boon for them, as most everyone would have had to purchase new irons for competition. When we hackers were given a pass for the next decade, that windfall did not happen. The entire OEM landscape could change dramatically in the next 10 to 12 years... and we won't know the impact OEM's will have on USGA until much closer to that time.

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
I have a very accurate way also...

I don't put in any scores under 80 :emot-angel:

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
I've been trying to play by the rules this year. When I haven't I don't count that score. That is probably why I'm having so much trouble lately with clubs off the deck. No fluffing. I'm not sure I'll play in tourneys etc but if I get the itch I want to be ready. And thanks for all the help.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Have a friend bury a nickel in your back yard. Wait a week, then use your 6 iron to find it. You'll feel more comfortable taking divots after that.

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
In these "tournaments" do you have to walk? Have a caddie? Or just ride in your cart.

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
Tourneys we typically ride also.

Club championship I walk.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Most of the tourneys I play in, riding carts are part of the entry fee. If the tourney is at our home course, we just use our own riding cart. Of course, most of the tourneys I play in have entrants old enough we all need walkers or canes anyway!!! :>)

Most "real" tourneys... NCAA, Nationwide Tour, PGA require you to walk. There, you can also have a caddy. A lot of the better amateur tourneys allow a riding cart. Since the Sky Caddie/GPS systems have been allowed to be used, under USGA Rules of Golf, I don't know why someone would need a "human" to walk along with them.

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
I played 18 today by the rules. No fluffing the ball, play (count) every shot etc etc. I still ended up with the same score I get if I do that stuff (86). Was very encouraging. If I could hit ALL my iron shots good instead of 60% I could be dangerous. Chipping and putting has been outstanding and so has driving. 3-wood and hybrids are a work in process and need alot more work... I'm thinking of dumping a 3-wood and going with a 4-wood.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Take the 3 wood out of your bag for a couple rounds. In fact, do NOT hit any club you're not confident you can hit, and see what happens. When I'm was hitting my driver terribly a couple years ago, and sucking with my 3W as well, I was hitting hybrid off of every tee on a 7000 yard course. You can still make par or bogey on long holes easily, and you'll get a fair number of shots at birdie. What you will find is that hitting a DECENT shot EVERY time is a lot better than hitting a GREAT shot a small percentage of the time with a club you can't hit well.

I'm playing Sunday morning and I'm pretty committed to hitting low punch-draw irons whenever I can. I can hit that shot SO WELL. It isn't as pretty as a high flying soft landing shot, but I can probably make the low draw work 98/100 times. I will be on or near every green with a good chance for par, and hopefully a bogey at worst.

Stanters

Trinket King
Aug 13, 2006
I'd stick to counting every shot if I were you. Not counting fluffs et all just makes whatever score you write down meaningless, you may as well write down 18 and stay at home.

Your driver and 3w shafts seem fairly compatible, other than a fairly big weight difference. Maybe it's the heavier shaft that has an adverse effect on the 3w? How about trying another 4+ torque one at nearer 65 grams? Or even just switch to a regular flex.

🔥 Latest posts