• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Head covers and arm pits

jambalaya

Geaux Tigers
Aug 6, 2007
Well I see this suggestion all of the time but have not tried it. I am pretty sure head covers would be dropping to the ground with my swing. It seems you would not be able to lift your arms with the head covers in there. It also seems you would have to keep your arms in front of you. Would be kind of hard to keep the right arm pit closed if you moved the hand back a little. Does this apply to single and two plane swings. I started thinking about this when watching the golf tournament on Sunday. They showed where a golfer would fold his shirt sleeve under the arm pits a reminder to keep the arm pit closed. When can the head covers fall out? After impact? Should I work on this aspect of my swing?

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I come back to this drill from time to time, and find it very valuable for ingraining the feel of a connected swing. I have tried it with headcovers under both arms, but found that rather cumbersome. As you said, the right elbow has to stay very tight to the body to keep the cover under the right armpit, and this is not proper in a full swing (however, it's GREAT for practicing short pitches).

The full swing drill is most valuable when a cover is held under the left armpit only. This trains you to swing more with the body, and also (even more importantly) shows how much power you can generate with a short, connected backswing. When doing this drill, you want to swing to a full finish. The headcover will come out as you finish. But if you swing properly, it won't come out until you are facing the target, and will end up behind you. If the headcover lands in front of you, then you aren't making a proper turn through the ball.

SCGolfer

Jan 12, 2007
exactly as eracer put it

this is a drill I first saw VJ doing, he puts a soft ball or something under his left arm for the drill. this works good for a full swing. I have a fairly short tight swing and use something under my right arm, to keep it compact and close to my body. Helps me tighten up my swing and keep from getting wild at the top. I go to this drill sometimes on the course between holes, I just use my glove.

Jason

West Coast Duffer

Orange County California
Oct 12, 2007
Great drill, you will see this drill highly recommended. Ive heard it done with many things like headcovers, towels and so on.

🔥 Latest posts