• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Head movement during swing

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
I never used to worry about this until last year and hit some drives pretty long once in awhile. I used to "step into" it and get a little more club head speed (and hit "through" the ball better) when I was doing this. Last year my teaching pro had me keep my head still until impact with my irons and I drastically reduced fat and thin shots with the irons. I also applied this to my driver which I never had a problem with making good contact and seem to have lost some distance. Does this sound correct. I have a short backswing but come through at 95-105 mph with the driver. Or "used to" anyway. :)

What do you guys think?

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Definately. I'm very much of the attitude that the head should remain as still as you can get it.

See Warbird? I told myself that you didn't suck, I just don't list to me anymore. :)

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
You got great advice.

When Nicklaus was a kid, his teacher Jack Grote would have him address the ball with Grote facing him....Grote seeing the top of his head.

Then Grote would grab Nicklaus by the hair and have him hit about 20 shots.

After having a sore scalp for awhile, Nicklaus stopped moving his head.

This was illustrated in a sketch in Golf Magazine a few years ago...

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
In my opinion its the worst advice in golf.The head moves,simple as that,focus on it to much and all you will do is go stiff and lose distance.

What Grout did was keep Nicklaus behind the ball at impact,that is important,not keeping the head still.Stay behind the ball.

BStone

PGA Class A Professional
Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2006
Country
My head goes down and back at impact, this helps keep me behind the ball, and the movement down is a result of my entire body getting a bit lower through the ball, like Tiger's squat at impact though not as pronounced.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
In my opinion its the worst advice in golf.The head moves,simple as that,focus on it to much and all you will do is go stiff and lose distance.

What Grout did was keep Nicklaus behind the ball at impact,that is important,not keeping the head still.Stay behind the ball.
I think he even said in his book, your head will "swivel" mainly at the chin. But you do not want it to go from side to side or upwards or it will alter the arc of your swing. I would agree it is probably more a matter of keeping it behind the ball. I know from most swing software that you put the circle on your head and you want it to remain in the circle. I think the most common flaw is to have the head to far forward from your initial position at impact. Which was still a flaw in my swing last time I checked. Although I plan on checking it out for the first time this summer in the next couple days.

Although in order to do so, I think your head would have to remain pretty steady.

SunnyDaze

Dec 11, 2006
So how does Natalie Gulbis (and some of the other women golfers) manage to hit the ball so well when her head moves up and down a good foot on a ful swing? You'd think she'd chunk it big time doing that.

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
That was the point of this thread. Maybe I'm losing distance because I'm keeping my head "too" still? :D

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Proper coil will be accompanied by head movement.
Sway will be accompanied by head movement.

A proper coil produces consistency and power.
Sway produces inconsistency and power loss.

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Well I think my spring (back) is broken so the "coil" isn't working too well lately!! :D

🔥 Latest posts

Members online