• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Heading out in 2 hours....

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
+14 today, 20km wind.

I'll let you know how it goes.

I have one of these weird feelings today. I don't know if it's good or bad, just weird.

Maybe i'll hit another deer on the way home from the course. That'd be sweet.

R35

Quentin

How U Doin'?
Aug 27, 2004
Hey Rock,

Have fun today.

I didn't hear about your story with the deer, but wondered if the scene was anything like this. Yuk.

~QQ

buddha33

aka Dick Ramser
Aug 31, 2004
rockford35 said:
I have one of these weird feelings today. I don't know if it's good or bad, just weird.

If it's the chili con queso from last night, stay close to the clubhouse.

Silver

I don't have a handicap.
Dec 5, 2004
sweet Rock, we're probably teeing off at about the same time

let us know how you ball it up

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
First night of men's night today. 2 man better ball with point awarded per hole for best ball and best aggy.

Will let you know how we fare. It's WINDY and COLD here, my favorite conditions... we have an offices in FL,GA,TX,CA,WA. I really should put in for a transfer to someplace more convenient for my golf game. I'm sure the Mrs would love that. :)

OP
Rockford35

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Well, I slaughtered myself to an 83. So weak. 26 points for the ROTW team.

I had 4 3 putts today. So much for my Two Ball magic. Perhaps some green time with the short stick would have been in order.

Actually, I played pretty decent. My short game (inside 15 yards) just sucked. I mean, brutally sucked toilet.

I hammered the driver today. Easily averaged over 300 for the day. I drove the infamous 'reachable par 4' that many of you may remember from GR that I brought up that made people rage. Anyways, there were two groups of us, friends in the 3 some ahead, so I went for it. Put it 8 feet from the cup. Lipped out the eagle, made the bird.

If i would have been in decent shape with at least 7 chips, I would have been in the 70's quite easily. Short chips and stick handling putting made for 2 doubles and turned two birds into bogeys. Total bullshit.

I also need to work on my distance control with my irons. I airmailed a par 3 green with a 9 iron. I stared at the sign that said 156yards, downhill, but still. Pulled a chip and two putts out of my ass to save a bogey there.

It was kinda cool today, about +10. They said it was going to +14, but that was crap.

Anyways, I promise better in the future. 83, garbage to the maximumus. :p

R35

OP
Rockford35

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Quentin said:
Hey Rock,

Have fun today.

I didn't hear about your story with the deer, but wondered if the scene was anything like this. Yuk.

~QQ

Sick, but true. That happens alot around these parts. A guy that went to my highschool died a few years back hitting a deer.

My story relates to hitting a fawn a couple years ago on the way home. Smashed my Civic, and I had to step on the poor things throat to put it out of it's misery. Tough job, but you never wanna hear a baby animal cry in pain.

R35

Silver

I don't have a handicap.
Dec 5, 2004
Sounds rough Rock. But hey, at least you were striping it. I worked my way to a respectable (for me) 93...without hitting a SINGLE fairway. Pulled my way into 6 GIR and an atrocious 38 putts (6 3 putts). The greens here were SO much faster than the recently aerated greens we played on yesterday. Pretty nice greens but it took me awhile to get used to them, except the assmunches that play there obviously have no idea how to fix a freaking ball mark. I probably repaired 50 ball marks today and I'm sure I left a lot behind.

Anyhow, the halves were respectable at 47-46...even though I did have 6 penalty strokes in there (couple OB, couple of "disappearing balls"...the trials of playing on public courses).

Just think Rock, it could be worse.

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
Can you hit it left by coming over the top??? I hit probably every shot left tonight in my men's night. The guy I was playing against said I was closed-off and had way to much right arm going on????

My ball flight would be like a pull that starts out left and gets lefter. Maybe the closed stance is encouraging the pull???

Any ideas?

Silver

I don't have a handicap.
Dec 5, 2004
The pull will begin by coming outside in, if you then close the face at impact, it just makes it worse. I've had to deal with this on occasion, and for me, it usually comes from my upper body outracing my lower body (not enough "hippiness") and therefore coming outside in, where when I get the lower body sufficiently active, I come straight through or a bit inside out.

I dunno if that helps, but that's my understanding of it.

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
whatever it is, I don't like it :)

A few years ago I would have loved to be able to move the ball right to left... now I am fighting it.... I need to get to the range and try and figure it out. Of course it is supposed to be 27 degrees here tomorrow with 20 MPH wind, so unless I can hit balls in a parka it will need to wait.

MAHALLEDAY

Mikey Dangerous
Nov 29, 2004
I fit the same thing. In my case it beacause i set up with the shoulders open which causes my swing to always be a little out to in. if i square the face to the swing path its pulled its its square to my target its a fade. I fight it constantly.

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
VtDivot said:
Can you hit it left by coming over the top??? I hit probably every shot left tonight in my men's night. The guy I was playing against said I was closed-off and had way to much right arm going on????

My ball flight would be like a pull that starts out left and gets lefter. Maybe the closed stance is encouraging the pull???

Any ideas?

Oh yes, all the time. If I could stop doing this one thing I'd save 6 strokes a round at least. For me it's like Silver said, upper body getting ahead of the lower body. When that happens it's just bye, bye ball.

I get close to solving it sometimes but it's always in the back of mind when there's trouble left. Maybe I should learn how to hit a fade.

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
DaveE said:
Oh yes, all the time. If I could stop doing this one thing I'd save 6 strokes a round at least. For me it's like Silver said, upper body getting ahead of the lower body. When that happens it's just bye, bye ball.

I get close to solving it sometimes but it's always in the back of mind when there's trouble left. Maybe I should learn how to hit a fade.

hit a fade ha! yeah right... not a chance. I couldn't hit one of those if I had 5 buckets to try it with.

My hook is most severe with my fairway woods, although I've been known to hit some long irons like that as well. I've looked at some slo-mo and confirmed that I am starting down from the top with my arms instead of rotating thru the ball. I know what I need to work on :)

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
VtDivot said:
hit a fade ha! yeah right... not a chance. I couldn't hit one of those if I had 5 buckets to try it with.

My hook is most severe with my fairway woods, although I've been known to hit some long irons like that as well. I've looked at some slo-mo and confirmed that I am starting down from the top with my arms instead of rotating thru the ball. I know what I need to work on :)

Vt.
Here's a thought. Are you coming too far back on the inside on your backswing? When I get hooky it's because I come inside the line and around my body. The swing becomes flat. When I get back to the ball, the wrists have already rolled through impact and it's a hookin'.

What I try and do is take the club back outside the line. Feel like your hands and arms are reaching outside the line and away from your body to a nice high position. Then when you come through, feel like you are coming across the ball, holding the clubface and your wrists square.

This will feel wierd so try it in slo mo and try and build up some feel for this. Try hitting a six iron at half swing, and try and slice it by coming across it. You may hit a few shanks, duffs, but don't try and hit it more than 120 yards with a half swing. Do this until you start getting some confidence and then start building it up.

Your grip, alignment, ball position, head (keeping still) etc all probably play a factor as well. Kinda hard to pass judgement on a Forum, so best pony up for a lesson. otherwise video your swing and post it up here. Rock will give you a full analysis. ;)

🔥 Latest posts