• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Heading to Scottsdale

Silver

I don't have a handicap.
Dec 5, 2004
Well, looks like it's a go and we're all booked up for the first weekend in Feb. 5.5 rounds in 3.5 days is how it's looking so far.

Fly in Thursday around 2pm and try to get 9 holes in somewhere and staying at the Scottsdale Plaza Resort (cheap on priceline and apparently only "ok" but it'll work), then playing Vista Verde and Tonto Verde on Friday. TPC Champions and Troon North Monument on Saturday and then We-Ko-Pa Saguaro on Sunday before flying out at about 5pm.

I think it should make for a good weekend and a nice break to winter (although the weather's been decent here lately) before heading back up to watch some Olympic hockey games (going to Swe v. Bel, Fin v. Bel, Swe v. Fin, and probably QF #4).

Any tips on good dining down there? Looking at Ruth's Chris steakhouse because it's across the street from the resort, apparently, Posh (sounds pretty interesting), Tutti Santi, Noca, Mastro's...whatever we can make work. I love food.

Also learned that you do NOT rent a car at the PHX airport as it faces a 29% surcharge vs. other rentals.

nixdad

Mar 4, 2008
Sounds like a great trip. If you go to Ruth's CHris, be prepared to spend a lot of money. Good steaks, but everything is ala carte. But then again, evrything in Snottsdale is spendy. Sounds fun. The weather should be in the lower 70's by that time. Today, it was mid 60's.

steve in Arizona

Dec 31, 2008
Ruth's Chris cooks their steaks in butter. Personally I prefer Donovan's Steak and Chop House as a steak house (and it is also a little more affordable). Donovan's is a little farther away on camelback at 31st street. Mastro's is near fashion square which is a little closer and I would put it halfway between Donovan's and Ruth's Chris in my rankings.

Bloom, a little bit up the street on Scottsdale Road is a little more original and good food. I have a golfing buddy who swears by Tommy Bahamas about four miles north of you just off Scottsdale Road (at Kierland Commons).

Of the courses you've selected, I think you will really enjoy Troon North Monument. It is one of my favorites and I play it a lot.

Good luck.

Steve

OP
S

Silver

I don't have a handicap.
Dec 5, 2004
Ruth's Chris cooks their steaks in butter. Personally I prefer Donovan's Steak and Chop House as a steak house (and it is also a little more affordable). Donovan's is a little farther away on camelback at 31st street. Mastro's is near fashion square which is a little closer and I would put it halfway between Donovan's and Ruth's Chris in my rankings.

Bloom, a little bit up the street on Scottsdale Road is a little more original and good food. I have a golfing buddy who swears by Tommy Bahamas about four miles north of you just off Scottsdale Road (at Kierland Commons).

Of the courses you've selected, I think you will really enjoy Troon North Monument. It is one of my favorites and I play it a lot.

Good luck.

Steve

Thanks Steve - much appreciated!

NVM - weather looks a bit iffy, so I'm not sure if it'll be much less wet than here!

OP
S

Silver

I don't have a handicap.
Dec 5, 2004
Verdict - awesome but for Westjet breaking my driver on the way down.

Full details and pics to follow...eventually!

Quickies:

Starfire - $15 for a late twilight including carts...got 9 holes in and enjoyed it. Layout was good, but not phenomenal...price made it great value.

Vista Verde - $50 ($100 actually as it was a replay rate with Tonto Verde) - Great course with a nice layout but financial troubles mean no overseeding which takes away from a lot of what the course has to offer.

Tonto Verde, Ranch Course - $50 (other half of $100 rate) - well kept with great service but total cop out layout. Having a wash on which you smash your clubs to crap if you try to hit your ball in almost every landing zone is just stupid. Wasn't particularly impressed.

TPC Champions - $45 walking rate ($135 if you're too wimpy to walk and need a cart) - PHENOMENAL layout, if you ask me. Great design, extremely well kept, great service (even the marshall that made us speed up and thus ruined my next three holes was very nice about asking us to pick up the pace).

Troon North, Monument - $145 twilight on Golfnow.com instead of the $290 to pay at the course for the same time slot. Very good price for a very nice course. Really interesting layout and worked well with the landscape. Very cool but I wouldn't feel any need to go back for anything more than what we paid.

We-Ko-Pa, Saguaro - $175...a bit pricey but really well kept and a very cool layout. Very impressive but too expensive to play often.

9* Callaway BB Diablo - $150 at Sports Authority...eh, not super impressed and wish I'd had my Launcher 460. Sigh.

Dinners - Cove Trattoria, very tasty and good value Italian food. Roka Akor, very good but very pricey sushi. Mastro's, very good steak and obviously pricey but very enjoyable.

All in all, great trip.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.