• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Hello All...

TheQue

May 10, 2010
This is actually my second post on this forum as the thread that brought me here got the first post...

My name is Ray and I an 32 years old. Two weeks ago I decided I needed to learn the game of golf for business (My decision... My bosses decision... same thing hahaha). Anyhow, to my surprise, I am LOVING this damn sport. I always called it playing fetch with yourself, now I see how wrong I was. Its challenging, rewarding, and it is giving me a lot of exercise I desperately need. And we have only been to the range...

So it was suggested to me that I take lessons before learning bad habits, which will be harder to break than just learning correctly the first time. After some searching, I found Paul at a very local golf course. From my limited experience with golf, but vast at teaching, I can say he is a damn good beginners teacher.

Two days before my first lesson, my son Eli (26 years old), said he wanted to go with me. He has golfed in the past, but it was more of a curiosity thing, he is not a "golfer". He is my stepson of 14 years of being married to his mother, and he has a disease called Cystic Fibrosis (this is a terminal illness). To me he is my son though. Given that, we have never been as close as we should have been. I married his mother at the age of 18, and in that time, failure has never been an option for me. A consistent income with consistent healthcare have been priority number one in my life. Well I have recently been promoted into upper level management. This has afforded me a bit more time, and a lot less stress of "get ahead, get ahead, be the best, get ahead".

So we both go to the range to play around, I just got my clubs and had to play with my new toys... Well we quickly realized that we both suck really bad. The ole, "How was that?"... "Well you missed it by less that time" was apparent for both of us. That being said, I decided I would pay for his lessons as well. Let me tell you, it has been the best decision I have made in regards to my son and I. We are bonding like never before. This is truly the first real thing we have had in common. On top of that, it is not a wam bam thank you mam sport. We get to send 2 hours every morning together; learning, talking, laughing... I can not actually express how good this has been.

We are now on our second lesson and the improvement has been astonishing to me. My son is improving way faster than I, but that is just fine by me. Our first actual "golfing" will take place after our 5th and final lesson. At that point we will do Mon, Wed, Fri mornings Back 9. Tue and Thur Range. Sat 18 holes. So far it is just Range every day for 2 hours or so. In a week and a half I have already lost an inch on my waist (The only exercise I got before was moving my mouse and typing). On the flip side, the exercise for his has increased his appetite substantially and I hope he can gain a little weight out of this. Weight has always been and issue with him due to his illness. He is suppose to ingest 8000 calories a day because his pancreas does not work. He even has a feeding tube surgically implanted to help. The biggest factor is no one wants to put down 8000 calories, especially if they are not hungry. Well he is hungry again :) This could end up being wonderful for us.

Back to my original reason for learning golf. It has obviously changed if you read all of my ramblings above. But I still have a work incentive I am aiming for. In August we have our annual sales meeting in Arizona. During this a lot of golfing is done. My goal is to just get good enough between now and then that I do not embarrass myself. I do not want to be the guy always looking for a ball, or shanking every tee shot, or putting my 5th putt on a single hole. Only time will tell, until then I am getting unparalleled quality time with my son. This game is awesome.

Sorry about the long post, I guess I had a lot to say. Hell, I actually stopped myself from typing more heh, I am that excited. Now I have a question for you avid golfers. Do you think it is possible to go from never played the game to not being an embarrassment in 3 months?

Good to meet all of you.

Ray

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Welcome to Shot Talk Ray.

Great story, glad you and your son found golf, and here's to hoping it continues to bring ya'll closer together.

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
United States United States
Welcome to the game of golf Ray.

To answer your question, no, you will not be good enough in 3 months to not be an embarrassment...to yourself. Honestly no one really cares if you shank one OB, no one except you. Just practice good etiquette and don't spend all day taking practice swings and plumb-bobbing...you'll be fine. Good luck.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
Welcome, Ray.

Don't put too much pressure on yourself. Many of us having been playing for years, and we can still embarass ourselves, both on and off the golf course.

Swing easy, lag your putts, and remember to stop and smell the roses.

P.S. Paul Goydos 5 putted the 7th at Sawgrass yesterday: cost him about $30,000. I've done it, but luckily it didn't cost me anything.

Wayneo

From the bunker
Dec 31, 2008
Hi Ray,
welcome to the group.

Lessons are a good thing. Good way for you to start. Keep practicing the drills you're given and you will improve.

I think you'll find alot of 'relationship building' at your sales event, with a lesser focus on your Golf.

Just go and enjoy yourself. Don't take it too seriously, and you'll be fine.

I know how Salesmen like to talk, but take a break (stop talking) if you're standing still. So not on the tee deck, or the green, or if someone's trying to hit a shot.

wirehair

Life's too short to drink cheap wine.
Apr 29, 2005
Hi Ray:

You have apparently done it now, you've become addicted to this stupid game. I'll offer my vast expertise (cough..cough) and suggest two things.

1) This isn't a game you can win, only play. (I think that was Baggar Vance.)
2) No matter how bad you play, it's better than washing the car and mowing the lawn. (that's pure me :) )

OK one more, the best times I've ever had in my life were on the course with my sons. Cherish the time with yours.

One more again, don't wait to finish five lessons and thousands of balls on the range...get out there and splash a few Titleists into the lake. Don't worry about anything, just remember that there isn't a golfer on the planet who wasn't where you are.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Pick up Ben Hogan's 5 easy lessons and Pennick's Little Red book for both of you. You might want to get Dr. Bob Rotella's "Golf is not a game of Perfect", for yourself. And like Wirehair said, hit the course on a weekday morning and lose a few balls. Laugh and clown around with your son as you both learn this crazy game.

You are both going to make some terrible swings, I've been playing for a long time and still do occasionally. The thing is, to laugh them off and have a good time.

A bad day of golf is better than most other things good days, especially if your out there with your son!

OP
T

TheQue

May 10, 2010
You guys are very supportive here. Very warm and inviting forum. I am very happy I cam across this forum in my research for clubs. Thanks again guys.

Ray

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
Hello Mate! Welcome To Shottalk

Great you found something you can share with your boy.
And no, you probably will never be good at this sport. 98% of us still suck and we have already gone through 6 complete bag makeovers, change the swing six times, couch three times, 800 range sessions, etc, but we still enjoy sucking at this game for unclear reasons :).

What type of disease does your kid have? I'd never heard of any needing an 8K calorie intake and I'm curious for the name (from a very scientific point of view)

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
Cystic Fibrosis is a rare hereditary disease that effects the way the body absorbes nutrients through the pancreaus...I think. Also, I think someone who has it doesn't produce enough stomach acid to digest food. A guy who works for me has a son that has it. He puts on a charity golf scramble every year for CF. The guy told me it is rare because both parents must have the gene before it can be passed on to their kids. Also, there isn't a cure.

OP
T

TheQue

May 10, 2010
Yes it is hereditary and yes it is terminal.

The issue with Cystic Fibrosis is mucus. Mucus is the bodies Oil, it lubes everything on the inside of your body. Their mucus is tar like and it clogs and destroys things like your pancreas. Given his pancreas is non functional now, he does not produce the enzymes to properly digest fat and proteins. He must take supplemental pig enzymes with every meal he eats. Unfortunately, they are only about 30% effective, thus the high caloric intake just to get what he needs.

Secondly, the lungs hold 90% of the bodies mucus and it is mainly considered a lung disease. At any given time, his body is battling 10-20 different lung infections that would be minor to most of us. But due to the nature of the mucus, the antibiotics can not fully kill the bacteria. This puts his body in hyper-mode at all times. Because his body is always fighting an infection of some kind, his metabolism is sky high compared to ours. Thus the need for even more than normal food intake.

Organ failure and or drowning in there own lungs fluid is the most common cause of death with Cystic Fibrosis. With proper medications and 3-4 hours of stretching, lung palpitations, and high density breathing treatments, some of this is mitigated; extending the life expectancy.

He is currently doing ok and his doctor said that the movement done in gold as well as the constant walking (Causing vibration in the chest to help break up mucus) is very good for him. However we have to make sure he is not burning more calories than he is taking in, or we can be in huge trouble. When a body gets below 1% body fat, it tends to start eating away at things like the lining of your heart. Not a good thing. He is generally between 2-3% body fat at any given time. When he is in the hospital (at least once a year) it definitely drops below 1% and the doctors are doing everything they can to help fatten him up.

Its an ongoing battle and we play the cards we are dealt to the fullest.

Ray

Cystic Fibrosis is a rare hereditary disease that effects the way the body absorbes nutrients through the pancreaus...I think. Also, I think someone who has it doesn't produce enough stomach acid to digest food. A guy who works for me has a son that has it. He puts on a charity golf scramble every year for CF. The guy told me it is rare because both parents must have the gene before it can be passed on to their kids. Also, there isn't a cure.

🔥 Latest posts