• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Hello fellow hackers!!

pdlnole

Seminole Pride!
Apr 23, 2006
From the blazing hot Panhandle of Florida, LOL

New to the boards and just wanted to jump in an introduce myself.

I've just started this wonderful game at the ripe age of 38. Never picked up a club until a couple months ago. Played about 10-12 rounds and I have managed to get under 100. I know that is pretty lousy, but if you had seen the first couple rounds, you would understand my joy.

It was reading this forum that convinced me to become Launchered, and I love the club! I went from about 260 ,with my old R7 knockoff, to 285-300 on a good swing.

I'm basically getting the fundamentals down now, not trying to rush it. I just got a copy of Hogans book, as it seems to be respected by most golfers I know.

I guess my first question is, what are your suggestions on what I need to concentrate on first? I have the grip pretty well down, but I have a huge slice. I think this is mostly from hitting the ball from the outside in, or across the ball instead of straight on. I am starting to hit the irons fairly consistent, but I still have the occasional top or chili dip.Any suggestions that may help while I'm reading Hogan?

Hope to enjoy some good discussions with you guys, from reading for a month or so, it seems like there are some real nice folks on the board.

Davebud

Crackhead Zebra
Oct 31, 2005
Howdy

Sounds like we are in similiar shape as far as the game goes, although I have yet to break 100 (103 is my best so far) I have gotten rid of the slice though. I can hit it a long way with the driver but my Iron play is still killing me. I have also played a like number of rounds, twice I was able to hit well with my Irons and one of those my putter crapped up, and one of those my driver stunk up.

Adam Pettman

Nov 3, 2005
How many degrees of loft on your launcher that may not being helping your slice.Dont worry about your slice, pretty much everyone starts off with a huge slice but just learning about the swing will quickly get rid off it.

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast

Deep in thought
Sep 6, 2005
Hello, sounds like you're doing well, and I think you should find Hogan's 5 Lessons an excellent book. I've been reading it myself and making some notes about it in a thread of my own in this forum. It's a book you can go back to again and again.

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
Welcome aboard pdl!

Just so you know, currently there is no known cure for clevelandium launcheritis. You may be stuck with it for awhile. :)

OP
pdlnole

pdlnole

Seminole Pride!
Apr 23, 2006
Good to meet you guys.

My Launcher is a 10*. I originally bought it with a regular flex shaft, but soon found out that the stiff was for me, so I had one put in.

The driver has gotten somewhat better with the Launcher. With my old driver, I pretty much just aimed over the left of the fairway, and hoped my slice would carry back, LOL.

That didn't work very well on a tight fairway though, so I moved up to the Launcher. I can usually get in pretty straight if I can remember to slow down my swing, but I have a bad habit of trying to blow it up. It also took away my aiming left. Now if I do that, I just block it left. I tried out a bunch of drivers, before settling on the Cleveland. It's a great club, I just need to practice more. It's soooo hot here, that is hard to do unless I can get out late in the afternoon.

I think the only reason I broke 100 this soon, was my putting. I was a pretty fair putter from the get go, and it seems that part of my game improved greatly when I got the Yes!. I very seldom 3 put.....once I make the green.

I've been trying to put Hogans lessons into play, and the grip/stance seem to be helping my driving. We went early this morning, and I hit 8 of 18 fairways, and had several in the first cut. That is a big improvement for me, I just hope it isn't a fluke. I did feel more confident with the driver in my hands. I usually stand there thinking about getting the 3 wood out.

I'm sure glad I found a forum to discuss this stuff, as it seems to have become an addiction that I need help with:)

Big Brother Dunk

Aug 29, 2005
It's rarely a bad idea to take lessons. In your case, since you've just started the game, you probably don't have any real ingrained bad habits so you should see the benefits quickly.

And welcome to the forum.
awww.websmileys.com_sm_drink_trink39.gif

🔥 Latest posts