• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Hello from Germany

DerMagier

Jul 14, 2008
Hello everybody,

I just wanted to introduce myself to the rest of the community.

I am a 30 year-old golf rookie from Germany. I just started playing six weeks ago and can happily play on courses for 4 weeks now (in Germany you have to get a permit to do so, I don't know about the states).
Im rather big coming in at 6-3 and 235.

I am already infected and already trying different stuff.

My current setup is:
Taylor Made TMX Staff Bag

Taylor Made Burner TP 9,5° stiff (alternatively: Nike SQ2 5300 10,5° stiff)
Taylor Made Burner TP 3er regular (75g shaft)
Taylor Made Burner TP 5er regular (75g shaft)
Taylor Made r7 TP 4-SW (1" longer, 2° upright)
Titleist Scotty Cameron Charcoal Mist Putter Red X5

I ordered different other Putters and am actually looking for another driver. As well I am thinking about changing (having changed) shafts.

Looking forward to lively discussions, lots of info and halp if needed.

Happy golfin'
Marco

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Hello everybody,

I just wanted to introduce myself to the rest of the community.

I am a 30 year-old golf rookie from Germany. I just started playing six weeks ago and can happily play on courses for 4 weeks now (in Germany you have to get a permit to do so, I don't know about the states).
Im rather big coming in at 6-3 and 235.

I am already infected and already trying different stuff.

Happy golfin'
Marco
Boy are you ever in the right place!

Welcome to Shottalk!

What is this "permit" you speak of? Do you have to pay for the right to pay greens fees? Do you have to take some kind of test to prove you know how to hi the ball? Please explain.

OP
D

DerMagier

Jul 14, 2008
Thank you for the warm welcome.

Well, in Germany you have to take a special course where you learn how to play and what rules are most important. This can be done in different ways. In a crash course over a weekend or over a longer period of time with lessons and so on.

At the end of this you have to do a practical test (playing on the course where you are supposed to get a certain number of points) and a theoretical test (30 questions of which 5 can be wrong on rules and stuff).

If you have finished the test succesfully you are allowed to play on courses. Of course you can play for free at your home course if you are a member, on other courses you have to pay the green fees. There are courses that have limitations regarding the handicap.

Hope this helps.

How is this different to the US?

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Thank you for the warm welcome.

Well, in Germany you have to take a special course where you learn how to play and what rules are most important. This can be done in different ways. In a crash course over a weekend or over a longer period of time with lessons and so on.

At the end of this you have to do a practical test (playing on the course where you are supposed to get a certain number of points) and a theoretical test (30 questions of which 5 can be wrong on rules and stuff).

If you have finished the test succesfully you are allowed to play on courses. Of course you can play for free at your home course if you are a member, on other courses you have to pay the green fees. There are courses that have limitations regarding the handicap.

Hope this helps.

How is this different to the US?
I wish the USGA would institute something like this. In the US, anyone with a set of clubs, the proper clothes, and the money for the greens fee can play. There is no prequalification - at all. So you have total hackers clogging up courses just because they've purchased the right to play.

As several of our esteemed members have pointed out in the past - we also can own guns without any proof of education or qualification. So it's a bit presumptuous to think that their will ever be a qualifying test for recreational golfers.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
United States United States
I wish the USGA would institute something like this. In the US, anyone with a set of clubs, the proper clothes, and the money for the greens fee can play. There is no prequalification - at all. So you have total hackers clogging up courses just because they've purchased the right to play.

As several of our esteemed members have pointed out in the past - we also can own guns without any proof of education or qualification. So it's a bit presumptuous to think that their will ever be a qualifying test for recreational golfers.
Lot's of places proper clothes aren't required. Basically, if you can pay, you can play.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Welcome to the forum of the fuuuuutuuuuuuurrrrreeeee

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Welcome to Shot Talk 1st and foremost. Wow, that's amazing about the have to be qualified there, that's great. As Eracer said, I wish they'd do that here in the States.

And also as Eracer said, you are certainly in the right place. 6 weeks into golf and already ho'ing clubs like a pro, you my good man will fit in quite nicely here, :emot-ange

OP
D

DerMagier

Jul 14, 2008
Thank you also for the warm welcome.

I think it is not such a bad idea having to take such tests. The downside of it is that golf in Germany is still very expensive, too expensive to be attractive for a wider field.

I was happy to only have needed 2 weeks to get my permit and enjoy every minute on the course now.

Enjoying every minute of television time and internet broadcast, too. Waiting for the British Open to begin.
Reading everything I can to get in the game better, grab some tricks and try them on the range or the course. Trying to improve my game daily.

I am happy to be here.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Thank you also for the warm welcome.

I think it is not such a bad idea having to take such tests. The downside of it is that golf in Germany is still very expensive, too expensive to be attractive for a wider field.

I was happy to only have needed 2 weeks to get my permit and enjoy every minute on the course now.

Enjoying every minute of television time and internet broadcast, too. Waiting for the British Open to begin.
Reading everything I can to get in the game better, grab some tricks and try them on the range or the course. Trying to improve my game daily.

I am happy to be here.

Read Hogan's 5 Easy Lessons and Dr Bob Rotella's, Golf is Not a Game of Perfect. Those 2 combined should get you off to a great start.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Welcome to shottalk!

And i agree with pretty much everything everyone has said so far...

There is a municipal course by me which is about $22 with a cart for 18 holes and twilight is even cheaper...so golf can be quite cheap here in the states

twogreen

Aug 7, 2006
Welcome to the forum. Where do you live in Germany?

I was not aware of the permit requirement for courses over there. I played at Heidelberg and Ramstein last September. Of course, both of those courses are managed by American personnel, so different rules would apply.

Do the German courses make exceptions for tourists who are only in country for a limited time?

OP
D

DerMagier

Jul 14, 2008
@twogreen: Thanks for the welcome. 45 miles east of Munich. I don't know if there any exceptions. Those could have been for handicap -54, i would guess.

@goatster: Thanks.

🔥 Latest posts