• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Hello from Manchester UK

Barkz

Aug 26, 2010
Hello all

Name is Ian living in Manchester England. I've been playing golf for around 20 years now. I'ma bit of a Callaway nut spending a fortune on new equiptment. Other sporting interests are Rugby League and Football (soccer).

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
Hello from Australia Barkz. I share similar rugby league interests and follow the Sydney Roosters in the NRL (although I'm a Brisbane Broncos season ticket holder). Welcome.

OP
Barkz

Barkz

Aug 26, 2010
Cheers mate. I'm a Wigan fan, born there so brought up with a Rugby ball in my hands from birth. Moved to Manchester through marriage not choice. Parramatta has always been my NRL team because of the Brett Kenny link.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
Ah yes, Wigan - a traditional rugby league powerhouse. With both the Australian & English rugby league comps coinciding (Nthn hemisphere summer / southern hemisphere winter) it has killed off the traditional end of season tours (eg. Kangaroo tour of UK & France). Barkz, would you like to see your rugby league comp (Superleague) change back to winter (from summer)?

OP
Barkz

Barkz

Aug 26, 2010
It's a tough one TTR. I grew up playing and watching the game in winter and loved every minute of it. However northern England doesn't have the best weather and a lot of the the games turned into mud baths. As a spectacle I think it would be a backward step to return to winter Rugby. The downside of that is that the internationals seemed to have suffered a little and we don't see the top Aussie lads playing club rugby over here like we used to, instead a lot of the Aussie lads that come over are coming to the end of their careers and to some degree this doesn't help the development of British youngsters trying to make it in the sport. So in a nutshell I think Summer RL is here to stay

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
It's a tough one TTR. I grew up playing and watching the game in winter and loved every minute of it. However northern England doesn't have the best weather and a lot of the the games turned into mud baths. As a spectacle I think it would be a backward step to return to winter Rugby. The downside of that is that the internationals seemed to have suffered a little and we don't see the top Aussie lads playing club rugby over here like we used to, instead a lot of the Aussie lads that come over are coming to the end of their careers and to some degree this doesn't help the development of British youngsters trying to make it in the sport. So in a nutshell I think Summer RL is here to stay

So the crowds are good in the summer (bearing in mind that there's cricket being played also)?

OP
Barkz

Barkz

Aug 26, 2010
Crowds could be better TTR. Unfortunately RL doesn't hit the media headlines in the UK like it does in Aus. For some bizarre reason they favour Union to League. Cricket doesn't attract mass attendences except for the internationals and the Twenty 20 games. I myself love the cricket and try to keep an eye on how Lancashire are doing, however the thought of watching a four day county game does not appeal to me. Until League gets the deserved media coverage I fear it will always suffer over here with attendences apart from the likes of Wigan Leeds St Helens and a couple of others.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online