• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Help choosing new ball

Copperas

Mar 15, 2005
Yesterday was the first high school tourney for the new season, we did OK, I shot a 79 and tied our no. 1 golfer (I'm No. 2). I used for the first time Top Flite Strata tour soft balls, they were long, and had great spin but the problem was that they tore after every iron or wedge shot! I ended up with three torn balls to play with. I need advice of another, more durable ball that will still spin as well and go as far as the Strata somewhere in the $30.00 range.

Thanks,

Copperas

The master

Oct 24, 2004
Copperas said:
Yesterday was the first high school tourney for the new season, we did OK, I shot a 79 and tied our no. 1 golfer (I'm No. 2). I used for the first time Top Flite Strata tour soft balls, they were long, and had great spin but the problem was that they tore after every iron or wedge shot! I ended up with three torn balls to play with. I need advice of another, more durable ball that will still spin as well and go as far as the Strata somewhere in the $30.00 range.

Thanks,

Copperas

Well if you are looking for something similar I would recommend the Pinnacle Exception, this ball is very durable, long and still backs up around the greens.

I switched to the Exception ball last winter for a while mainly due to the fact I was spinning the pro v so much there was no point in playing it, and I just generally liked the pinnacle.

They are very affordable think there £20 a dozen here, you could probably pick them up around $30 in the US.

Butcho22

Feb 16, 2006
If you are looking for an affordable ball, buy from ebay. You can get a great deal if you buy something like 7 dozen or so. The exception isn't terrible, but it's no pro-v.

Andy_79

Oct 6, 2005
My thoughts exactly. I'm sure you can get Grade A or 'Pearl' Pro V1's for that same price region.

Exceptions are good enough, but are just on the wrong side of the hardness scale for me, plus the Pro V is the number one ball, so why not take advantage at a similar price to that of the Exception...?!

OP
C

Copperas

Mar 15, 2005
Isn't the Exception made of Syrlyn (forgive the spelling, I know its wrong)? I really need a well spinning ball, I can naturally hit it far enough to compete so distance isn't really a priority in ball selection, to me, its all about spin. Buying used Pro V's is a good idea, I'll probably do that, but what about balls like Ben Hogan's The Hawk, or Dunlop's Loco Pro series,or Wilson's PX3 and TX4? Does anyone have any experiance with any of these balls? It seems that they would be comparable to the Pro V, they claim to made of the same material, and of similiar design.

Thanks

Copperas

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
i always liked the Strata tour Straight, those had everything...

the exception is a great ball, the hogan hawk is on the harder side, but spins like none other.

another ball is the precept U-tri tour, a ball comparable to any top of the line high name balls but with a much smaller price tag.

i personally go for the titleist nxt tours, but they probably don't have the spin you're looking for, they work for me because i spin other balls like the prov way too much with blades for some reason.

just try a bunch and find what you like

Davebud

Crackhead Zebra
Oct 31, 2005
I like Noodle

Right now I have been hitting Noodle Regular, Al Dente, Rotini. I also have been hitting the Titleist HP Tour SF all of these can be had for about 20 bucks a box. I really like the Al Dentes.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
Davebud said:
Right now I have been hitting Noodle Regular, Al Dente, Rotini. I also have been hitting the Titleist HP Tour SF all of these can be had for about 20 bucks a box. I really like the Al Dentes.
If you have a Dick's Sporting Goods in your area, last I checked they are selling Noodle Combo Dozen packs, either one Noodle and one Al Dente or One Noodle and One Rotini for $19.99 for 2 Dozen.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
Youngun5 said:
i always liked the Strata tour Straight, those had everything...

That is a great ball. Bought 4 dozen when they were on closeout at Golfsmith for $12.99 a dozen.

Check out E-bay and see if you can find any. Great ball at an amazing price.

Speaking of deals, my local Golfsmith has the old HX Red and HX Blue on sale for $24.95 a dozen. I have not checked the website, but I know there are a few fans of those on this site.

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
I checked Golfsmith yesterday and they are selling the old HX Tours for $29.00. IMO one of the best balls out there.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
All the new HX series from Callaway have improved covers.

Early testing has some guys changing to the HX.56 or HX.Tour over the ProV and ProVx....that's saying something.

R35

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.