• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Help choosing new ball

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Agreed.

I think Callaway has made huge strides in the last year with their equipment at every segment. They really wanna be a player this year.

R35

Andy_79

Oct 6, 2005
those balls perform well, Rock, but the 'clicky' feel in and around the green just ain't my cuppa at all....

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
R35

I will give the new ones a whirl,cheers.

Andy,I don't understand the clicky thing either,I'm to busy focusing on the shot to worry about it,its just not something I've ever bothered about.

Butcho22

Feb 16, 2006
Balls like the Ben Hogan 'Hawk', of the Strata tour straight, are not bad golf balls. But make no mistake about it; you are giving up something in performance. There is just no way around it. Sure a 12 handicap will tell you that those balls are great, but they aren't playing the same game as a 70's shooter like yourself. Go ahead and play some practice rounds with a few balls if you like, but you will most likely end up back with the big boys.(i.e. Pro-v1, Callaway HX tour) Bridgestone makes a great ball as well, so give that a try if you like. I used to only play the Pro-v1, but since have switched back and forth with the Nike One Black. It goes just a hair further, but spins just a bit less. Pretty much now i'll only play the Pro-v1 to capatilize on it's spin rate, if the course is rock hard.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Butch,I average 71 a round,and I don't regard myself as giving up anything in performance.I believe this has got a bit silly with the modern ball,some of them have covers so thin they simply don't suit anyone outside of a tour pro who doesn't pay for them.There are some fantastic 3 piece balls that spin like mad,go for miles and feel soft around the greens,the Srixon Z-URS for one,but to suggest they give something up on performance against the Pro V1 is simply not true.They give up a small amount of spin yes,but it is small,and how many players even off 1 or 2 hit irons past the pin and spin them back? How many courses do we play on with stimp readings of 8 or more? How many of us travel the world on tour following the weather and playing in warm hard conditions where spin is vital?

I use a Pro V1 only when conditions are hard,for all other rounds,the extra distance and firm feel around the greens is far more preferable for me.

Andy_79

Oct 6, 2005
If you're playing to a good standard, then why do anything bar play the one ball, Dave ?! If you're shooting 71's all the time, you should be playing a Pro V ALL OF THE TIME !!

You are only going against yourself when you have a deft chip over a bunker to a flag cut close to the near side of the green. Why jeprodise things by playing different balls, and get things thinking in your head that you're using a different ball, and whether it will perform with slighty less/more spin than a Pro V1. Silly, imo. At that sort of level you should be playing the one type of ball ALL OF THE TIME.

There ain't any Premium balls that go further than the Pro V anyway, so what balls are you talking about which you would rather play that offer more distance / are firmer round the green ? JUst curious......

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Andy,stop having a laugh:)

A Z-URS is longer than a ProV1,and what on earth are you on about,I need a Prov V1 to stop a ball?! In Yorkshire?! I could stop a Molitor even in summer

I play one ball,a Srizon,and if,and I mean if,they greens get ROCK hard I may go to a softer ball in big comps with tough pins.

The Pro V1 is a great ball,but I prefer the length from the Z-URs and the reduced spin around the greens.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
Addendum to old thread. Even though I have about 2 dozen good used balls, and about the same new ones, I bought a dozen Hogan The Hawk because they were cheap and I liked the box color. :)

Only got to play 9 holes yesterday, but I thought they were good for second tier balls. Kind of hard compared to Hogans' Tour Deep, but long, and they don't scuff nearly as easily.

And they seemed to hold the greens reasonably well, although Forest Hills now has the worst greens I have ever seen: always hard, never overseeded, 15 stimp, and now aerated. The greenskeeper should be shot without a blindfold or cigarette.

Tomorrow I'm going to play a different course. We'll see if the Hawks still fly.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
SiberianDVM said:
Addendum to old thread. Even though I have about 2 dozen good used balls, and about the same new ones, I bought a dozen Hogan The Hawk because they were cheap and I liked the box color. :)

Only got to play 9 holes yesterday, but I thought they were good for second tier balls. Kind of hard compared to Hogans' Tour Deep, but long, and they don't scuff nearly as easily.

And they seemed to hold the greens reasonably well, although Forest Hills now has the worst greens I have ever seen: always hard, never overseeded, 15 stimp, and now aerated. The greenskeeper should be shot without a blindfold or cigarette.

Tomorrow I'm going to play a different course. We'll see if the Hawks still fly.

I heard those balls were supposed to spin pretty well actually. I played a few HVC soft feel balls as I am going through my Prov1 supply too quickly. These wear very easily but are way way softer around the greens than a Prov. Maybe it's just coincidental but I had my best short game day since middle of last year today. They don't do too bad off the tee either, I only hit a couple decent tee shots but they weren't like "wow that didn't go anywhere compared to a Prov1".

What'saScore

I need an eraser
Feb 5, 2006
The balls that Work best for me are the Pinnacle Gold Distance, and the Titelist Dt So-Lo. They both carry quite well, and don't show wear. The Dt So-Lo's are even guaranteed to not cut, or Titelist will send you a free sleeve.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I've got three dozen brand-new Top-Flite Strata TL Tours I'll sell you for $10.00 a dozen. I played these for a while and liked them, until I switched to the Maxfli Black Max.

PM me if interested.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
dave. said:
I could stop a Molitor even in summer

Stop a Molitor? That's a good one! I broke my wrist twice taking a crack at those pieces of granite when I was just a kid.
:biglol:

Andy_79

Oct 6, 2005
Eracer said:
until I switched to the Maxfli Black Max.

I have played this ball for the majority of my rounds in the past two months or so. Think it is a cracking ball !!

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
I just bought 100 Titleist DT So-Lo on eBay for $45 with shipping. Plan on feeding them to the squirrels over the next 2-3 weeks. Sigh If I knew I wouldn't look like a complete nerd, I would buy one of those Radar Golf thingies.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.