• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Help! Does this sound right?

pball5156

Mar 21, 2005
I just got back from the Launch Monitor at Golfsmith.

I took my 983K 10.5* Stock Regular Shaft in, to compare with other clubs, my goal today was to walk out feeling better off the tee. The monitor gave me statistics, these are the averages.

-1200 Sidespin (to the right)
190's Carry, 210ish Total Distance
17-18* Launch Angle
125mph Ball Speed

I tested these clubs:
Cleveland 460Ti - 10.5* Stiff, 9.5*Reg, 9.5* Stiff
Cobra FSpeed - 9.5* Stiff, 9.5* Reg
Ping G5 - 9* Stiff

I ended up taking the G5, my distances/stats were WAY "better" I suppose, according to the man.

-600s Sidespin (right)
240 Carry, 260-270 Total Distance
12-13* Launch Angle
148mph Ball Speed

Does this sound right?! I can't go to the range and test it now because after 160 days of no rain, God decided to pour a bucket on Phoenix, but honestly, should I have expected this change?

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Sounds like you got a bunch of stock shafts there. Launch angles that are up near 20* aren't what you are looking for if you're hitting the G5 240 carry. The shaft can have alot to do with that. With the ball speed being so far apart, I'm guessing that the shaft in the 460 Ti was probably either too heavy for you or too soft in the tip section so you're "losing the head" in your swing.

I've heard just huge rants about the G5 as of late tho, so it's not like you've picked a bad stick.

But it's not unusual to have the numbers like this.

For example, my GBBII with a Graf Blue Stiff tipped 1" was giving me ~260 carry at 12.5* launch. The same night, my Launcher with an Adlina NV X-Stiff was giving me 17* and 205 carry. Stiffer shaft, terrible results. The stock shaft (Fuji Gold Stiff) was giving me 14* and 240 carry.

Obviously, I've reshafted the Launcher with the Blue. :D

Good luck with the G5, let us know how it goes!:smilie_pi

R35

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
The Blue is just flat out awesome. That's all there is to it

OP
pball5156

pball5156

Mar 21, 2005
The stiff shafts that were tested I guess I should have mentioned it earlier were Aldila NV 65-S 360s, a couple of the Launchers were on stock sticks though. The G5 I bought however was the Aldila. I have a match tomorrow, I'm going to be ballsy and use it.

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
pball5156 said:
I just got back from the Launch Monitor at Golfsmith.

Sounds like a handy piece of equiptment, I would love to know all these stats about my swing and clubs. I need to find some where in the North west of england with one of these. We need Golfsmith to open a bunch of stores over here.

OP
pball5156

pball5156

Mar 21, 2005
I used it yesterday. I had a couple of mishits, including one on the 9th. The 9th hole mishit felt horrible, it felt like I hit it on the shaft, not the hosel (where I did hit it). Anyways, the ball heads straight to the left, but amazingly cuts back into the fairway, and I'm laying in the middle of the fairway about 200yds off the tee.
Wow!
I'll need a bit more testing before I can actually write a full review.

Members online

No members online now.